• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Newer Kindles

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Newer Kindles"

Collapse

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I know my old Kindle has MP3 support under the experimental features, do newer ones include support for audio books?
    I don't think you can listen to audio books on them, they support whispersync if the audible audio book is whispersync ready, meaning that you can jump between the audiobook and the kindle e-book effortlessly.

Surely you have a smartphone that can play audiobooks and they don't drain much battery, the main advantage of ereaders over tablets/phones is the e-ink display that is gentle on the eyes, with audiobooks this advantage is gone, so the feature will not fit that well.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    I know my old Kindle has MP3 support under the experimental features, do newer ones include support for audio books?
    I haven't listened to an MP3 since Spotify / Amazon Prime music moved into ScruffTowers. Paperwhite doesn't support them, however.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Mrs.sal had the kindle without keyboard and upgraded to paperwhite for the backlight, she seems pleased with both, you rarely need the keyboard if you only read books and it's a waste of screenspace IMHO.

I personally can't get myself to read books, after discovering the wonderfully lazy world of Audiobooks

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    Ditto.
    I have a voyage but I bought that when it offered the higher resolution screen and the paperwhite didn't. The extra functionality (buttons on the back allow you to move page) isn't worth the extra money now the paperwhite has the same screen.

I like the look of the oasis but can't justify (and nor could probably anyone else) the expense...

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Went from an original Kindle to a Paperwhite a while back and haven't looked back. The only problem I've had is if you doze off with your finger on the touchscreen you're liable to end up several pages further on or further back (depending on which finger...) than the one you were reading. Other than that, it's finem and the on-screen keyboard is no worse than the original button-driven one.
    Ditto.

Leave a comment:

• RonBW
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    My missus had the original with keyboard - but she broke it! So I got her a paper white.....

she has not missed the keyboard at all - but she purely uses it as an e reader - e.g. it's just an electronic book she never uses any other functions
    I broke the screen on my keyboard one and upgraded to paperwhite, which is what I use. I then paid £35 to someone on eBay to repair the screen on the broken one (£30 for the screen, £5 for them to repair it and send it back to me) which I then gave to my wife.

I don't miss the keyboard at all.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    The Wife (tm) had a 2nd gen Kindle, but the battery was starting to go on it. Last year I got her a Voyage.
    It's smaller, lighter and has a better quality screen that is easier to read, so it goes everywhere with her. Great for holidays, etc and has got her to read a lot more.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Went from an original Kindle to a Paperwhite a while back and haven't looked back. The only problem I've had is if you doze off with your finger on the touchscreen you're liable to end up several pages further on or further back (depending on which finger...) than the one you were reading. Other than that, it's finem and the on-screen keyboard is no worse than the original button-driven one.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Is that a typo of a rather racy novel?
    'Sophie's World' in German. By Jostein Gartner or something, she reads In German cos she needs fluent German for her job.

It's not racy, it's about a child discovering philosophy via these letters left in her letter box.

It's quite good.

I'm reading some Gurdjieff at the moment, deeeeeep.....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    'Sophies Welt'
    Is that a typo of a rather racy novel?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I'm a reet tech nerd but can't get on with kindles and ebooks etc

I buy seccy hand proper books from Abebooks for as low as 1p, sometimes free postage. Got an immaculate copy of 'Sophies Welt', immaculate, hardback for 1p all in for the missus.

She's still not even started it...

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Well it's the same in that it works a bit like a book!

But yes I get your meaning.

I normally read using my phone - but as i get older I can see less so rather than go for a kindle I want for a droid tablet and downloaded the kindle app - works for me but each to their own!
    True.......

The old ways are the best ways, that's for sure

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Already got a tablet, reading on it is not the same at all so definitely an e-reader.
    Well it's the same in that it works a bit like a book!

But yes I get your meaning.

I normally read using my phone - but as i get older I can see less so rather than go for a kindle I want for a droid tablet and downloaded the kindle app - works for me but each to their own!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Already got a tablet, reading on it is not the same at all so definitely an e-reader.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X