• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cloud adoption by companies"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    My client co is moving almost everything to the cloud. Mostly AWS, all office stuff to 365 in Azure. Everything not going to these are being handed over to Wipro to manage. InfoSys manage access to the AWS infrastructure.

I'm being replaced by a robot, so I'm trying to compete on a level playing field.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Then Microsoft needs to pull its finger out...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Oh, and security (or lack thereof) and regulatory compliance are massive but rarely mentioned problems for public cloud users.
    I know that Capital One (which is mainly a credit card company here, but is the eighth biggest consumer bank in the USA) is moving absolutely everything on to AWS; and one of their primary motivations is that Amazon is able to provide a level of security, with specific reference to the regulatory compliance aspects to which they are subject, that they determined was vastly superior to that they can provide for themselves, even though they already have an enormous amount of in-house expertise.

CapOne spent a couple of years looking into this, including lots of testing and exploratory projects, before making this decision.

Sources: I was contracting there when they threw the switch and started the ongoing process of moving their worldwide operations to AWS (and it led to my contract being terminated a couple of months early, much to my relief as I was fed up with the commute to Nottingham); and Werner Vogels, CTO and VP of Amazon, stated in his keynote address at the AWS Summit London last year (which I attended) that it was primarily the security and compliance benefits that made them commit to AWS.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's not though is it? It's someone else's computerS
    Prolly more like a slice of one huge computer!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Remember the cloud is just someone else's computer!
    It's not though is it? It's someone else's computerS

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    The point about security being - I'd trust Oracle (for example) to secure their data centers hosting SaaS applications far more than I would some tinpot in-house IT department. In fact just about any in-house IT department.
    Yeah they will probably do a decent job at securing your data from 3rd parties, but who secures your data from Oracle?

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    The point about security being - I'd trust Oracle (for example) to secure their data centers hosting SaaS applications far more than I would some tinpot in-house IT department. In fact just about any in-house IT department.
    So presumably you'd not be a fan of private cloud?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    Yup, the quote I heard was something like "it's still a datacentre"

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Yup, the quote I heard was something like "it's still a datacentre"

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    SaaS is big everywhere - Google apps and Office365 adoption rates are skyrocketing. Exchange is notoriously unstable and the latest versions are deliberately sabotaged by MSFT to force ppl into the "security" of Office365.

IaaS is quite popular - Big web presence benefits greatly from the elasticity of the cloud. Online retailers will be either dead in the water or out of pocket without it around the holiday shopping spree periods.

PaaS in my experience is more often an on premise cloud offering for the business from the internal IT rather than consumed from a public or 3rd party cloud.

Most(all?) large companies are experimenting with on-premise/hybrid cloud, to satisfy the CIO ego if nothing else.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    Yup, I was talking with a fella whose mantra is cloud, cloud, cloud; I mentioned security and that was taken as me building a wall and being negative about cloud, which I'm not.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    The market for cloud is huge, not just from the traditional big players like AWS/Azure.

At a very basic level the benefit for the customer is not having massive upfront outlay on hardware, for the seller its a case of combining more than one product to keep a customer for longer

Oh, and security (or lack thereof) and regulatory compliance are massive but rarely mentioned problems for public cloud users.
    Think this is where the difference between public/private and how hybrid cloud comes in.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Yup, I was talking with a fella whose mantra is cloud, cloud, cloud; I mentioned security and that was taken as me building a wall and being negative about cloud, which I'm not.
    Last edited by gables; 6 January 2017, 09:10.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Too many questions and scenarios. But I can give you a blanket answer.

It depends.

It depends on the business, their requirements, what they want the cloud for, their risk profile, their work practices and how much money they're willing to spend.

SaaS for things like ServiceNow or Remedy OnDemand, AWS and Azure to replace data centres or green-field projects or new Agile/DevOps working practices.

I know that's a lot of answers but just marry them up with your questions and you're away...
    Fair enough, I thought that might the case, I was just curious if there was an area with the most amount of activity.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Yup am involved with some gaming companies and they often have to host in a specific country.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X