• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Large Windows 10 update?"

Collapse

• redgiant
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    It's okay, but I wish they'd go back to having one Control Panel instead of two that are sort of the same but not quite.

The update changes the start menu to make things more accessible. I have one computer that has the upgrade and one that doesn't, and it is an improvement.
    With the frequent updates W10 does always seem to be a work in progress but I suppose that's good in a way as we all have to wrestle with outdated and legacy software on client sites. Perhaps this shift to twice yearly major Windows OS upgrades (and Office 365 too) will change things in the years to follow.

As for the control panel the main problem is there is a tonne of legacy control panel settings out there written by 3rd parties as well as Microsoft so there is going to be two control panels/location for settings for some time to come.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    It's okay, but I wish they'd go back to having one Control Panel instead of two that are sort of the same but not quite.

The update changes the start menu to make things more accessible. I have one computer that has the upgrade and one that doesn't, and it is an improvement.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Updates aside, W10 seems pretty great to me.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I did qualify my remark. But overall, full marks from me for W 10 when used with Classic Shell.
    Yes, I would have to switch to classic shell, old habits etc.

You are not the first to say how good it is, however.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Wow, praise indeed
    I did qualify my remark. But overall, full marks from me for W 10 when used with Classic Shell.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    W 10 is definitely one of the best ever MS products, I think. (I am not a computer techy).
    Wow, praise indeed

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I was very happy with my Windows 7, so downloaded a little utility to stop the Windows 10 auto upgrade.

I always let people run with it for a while before I ever upgrade any Windows system.
    That having been said I have generally had good reports about W10.
    W 10 is definitely one of the best ever MS products, I think. (I am not a computer techy).

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I was very happy with my Windows 7, so downloaded a little utility to stop the Windows 10 auto upgrade.

I always let people run with it for a while before I ever upgrade any Windows system.
    That having been said I have generally had good reports about W10.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I tried windows 10 and did not like it. So I stuck at windows 9.....
    I stuck at Windows? Nein! And installed a linux distro...

(I didn't, but I like the pun).

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Good idea. Myself, I have my desktop machine running XP and I'm quite happy about that.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Why do many people these days not bother to switch off/reboot their computers?
    Are they the same people who ignore the pop-up messages that told them about windows 10 for about a year, then felt the FREE upgrade was forced on them and therefore must be wrong/bad, instead of the previous versions where they had to pay £70?

I find it weird that in the IT industry, IT people seem to be about as knowledgeable (or even interested in finding out facts) as the Daily Mail.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Are they the same people who ignore the pop-up messages that told them about windows 10 for about a year, then felt the FREE upgrade was forced on them and therefore must be wrong/bad, instead of the previous versions where they had to pay £70?

I find it weird that in the IT industry, IT people seem to be about as knowledgeable (or even interested in finding out facts) as the Daily Mail.
    Due to how family and friends' use computers particularly laptops and mobile phones there is no point switching them off between use, plus those that use Mac or *nix are designed to be always on.

Also Microsoft has a habit of trying to force poorly designed OS upgrades on people e.g. ME, Vista, 8 so people don't want to upgrade until they know there are no significant problems if they do. They don't want to have to buy a new printer or other random program because the forced upgrade has stopped it working.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Einstein Jnr
    replied
    Not sure why Microsoft has taken the sneaky approach to major updates - many people upgraded to windows 10 by mistake thinking it was just another update.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    You now have the Windows 10 anniversary update (AKA bug fix) released in August via Windows update.
    It's a complete Windows re-install, hence the time taken.
    Ah, OK. Thanks I was blissfully unaware of such a thing. It might have been nice if the update had told me that before I launched it. I thought there might have been something wrong.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X