• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hive/Nest and other such smart home tech"

Collapse

• TheBA
    replied
    Automatic /remote controlled TVRs seem to be key

Leave a comment:

• TheBA
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Aerotec multisensor 6 - wow

£42, tiddly and awesome.
    +1 regret buying a nest

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Aerotec multisensor 6 - wow

£42, tiddly and awesome.

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    Philips Hue LED Light strips 50% off if you use code HOME25 at checkout

Buy Philips Hue Lightstrip Plus 2m LED Light Strips Kit at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Light bulbs, Lighting, Home and garden.

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    Bulbs down to £30 on Amazon £20 off rrp

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LVUZQ...986871_TE_item

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Does the tech exist for one to do this themself if they're into that... e.g. buy light fittings and radiator valves, etc, which have facility for low voltage control and then build a rig using RaspPi/Arduino?

Not that I've looked in detail into the stuff available but it seems you have to buy into one ecosystem or another, and you're paying for branding and sleek design when possibly you just want a way to control everything over WiFi?

Building your own smart-home, writing your own software could be a really fun project for a real nerd.
    Have a look at EQ3 Max! and the honeywell ones they have support of a number of open source projects (I like Domoticz).

Conrad are a good supplier.

eQ-3 MAX! Affordable Wireless Heating Control with your Smartphone or Raspberry Pi | Automated Home

When Wink gets over here

Wink | Buy and View Smart Home Products

And Smartthings

if you want to tinker then Vera system. Plenty of support & plug ins.

Vera3 Advanced Smart Home Controller ▾ Vera™

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    FYI Peeps

Philips Hue bulbs and LED strips currently selling at about 25% discount on Amazon

there was a stand at Grand Designs last week, with 10% discount I spent about £250 then

just spent another £220

think this take me to 9 bulbs, 9 metres of LED and a switch thingy

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    interesting point if you automate your home security with IoT devices,

how long before the criminals realise that all they need to do is cut your incoming internet connection and your home is no longer protected
    Mr Robot season 2!

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    interesting point if you automate your home security with IoT devices,

how long before the criminals realise that all they need to do is cut your incoming internet connection and your home is no longer protected

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    And this is all thanks to you lot buying crappy IoT devices.

Today the web was broken by countless hacked devices – your 60-second summary

Flashpoint has confirmed that some of the infrastructure responsible for the distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks against Dyn DNS were botnets compromised by Mirai malware. Mirai botnets were previously used in DDoS attacks against security researcher Brian Krebs’ blog “Krebs On Security” and French internet service and hosting provider OVH. Mirai malware targets Internet of Things (IoT) devices like routers, digital video records (DVRs), and webcams/security cameras, enslaving vast numbers of these devices into a botnet, which is then used to conduct DDoS attacks. Flashpoint has confirmed that at least some of the devices used in the Dyn DNS attacks are DVRs, further matching the technical indicators and tactics, techniques, and procedures associated with previous known Mirai botnet attacks.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    How long did you have it running? Took mine a good couple of weeks to learn.
    only 6 days admittedly, I kind of expected some error in the initial period but it was out massively which surprised me.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I had to switch the true radiant feature off. Takes like half an hour to get to 20c yet it continually was switching he heating on 90 minutes out.
    How long did you have it running? Took mine a good couple of weeks to learn.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I had to switch the true radiant feature off. Takes like half an hour to get to 20c yet it continually was switching he heating on 90 minutes out.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Well I'm on holiday and looks like the router/internet is down so I cant see my camera, smoke alarms or plugs.

Hopefully I've not been burgled or the house isn't on fire
    Looked ok when I removed it. HTH.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Well I'm on holiday and looks like the router/internet is down so I cant see my camera, smoke alarms or plugs.

Hopefully I've not been burgled or the house isn't on fire

Leave a comment:

Working...
X