• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Potential new contract asked for codility test."

Collapse

• fool
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    If I was interviewing someone I really CBA'd going through github commits to try to judge their work. That CV would go straight in the bin.
    Conversely if you said that out loud in many places then you'd probably end up in the bin. Whether or not that's a good thing, you can decide.

Leave a comment:

• FK1
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    To an experienced person, it is completely stupid.

To a potential employer, less so, given the amount of useless, skill less, lying, chancing charlatans, on the contract market.
    If you have ever performed any hiring duties, you would already know this
    Tests.
    The best one is the market survival test. My company accounts and references tell the real story.

Taxi drivers.
    I would fail all of them. Because of they do not use the proper pull and push steering technique and glance to mirrors too quickly

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Have you tried a search?
    Ok, fair enough. I've done similar & don't object if it's no longer than 1 hour.

It's the coding tests I object to where they want you to put a full working solution together.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    I'd fall at the first hurdle.

I don't even know what this means.
    Have you tried a search?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 18 November 2015, 09:12.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by ItRYmyBEst View Post
    A recruiter has a new gig at £550 pd for a household name, however they want me to do a 60m codilitiy test even with all my open source examples.

Is this a bad sign?
    I'd fall at the first hurdle.

I don't even know what this means.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo View Post
    How would it look to the rest of the company, CEO, HR etc, if the CTO couldn't solve problems without calling people in for fake interviews. Just a silly response IMO.

Boo2
    Not entirely true, please see my post above.
    It was for a young company, but, market leader, of course I won't actually name them here.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo View Post
    That's preposterously unlikely, you only have to look at the costs of preparing a test, calling people in and interviewing them to see that. How would it look to the rest of the company, CEO, HR etc, if the CTO couldn't solve problems without calling people in for fake interviews. Just a silly response IMO.

Boo2
    I've given such tests

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    They have a problem that they can't fix, they want to get it sorted on the cheap, you will give them the answer and then the contract will get binned
    That's preposterously unlikely, you only have to look at the costs of preparing a test, calling people in and interviewing them to see that. How would it look to the rest of the company, CEO, HR etc, if the CTO couldn't solve problems without calling people in for fake interviews. Just a silly response IMO.

Boo2

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you ask a contractor to discuss how they would solve your actual problems during an interview people would be going on about "working for free".
    Yes, agreed, but, you have to be careful.
    I knew of one company department that regularly would create a job, purely to pump people for info.

I knew that was fact, as I eventually got a role there and was told by perms working there.

It got worse as they hired me for 3 months, then decided, after 2 months, on Christmas week, they had "run out of money".
    It was the same guy that interviewed for the "no roles" that decided he didn't have budget

The only upside was another department, I had been working with, took me on for another 3 months, within half an hour

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Yawn.. This again..

No, we're not builders, but we're both independent professionals.

Why should one set of "independent professionals" be treated so vastly differently than another set of "independent professionals"?

Because they're very different?

You wouldn't ask a builder to do a bit of free building to prove his worth, but you would ask him to give up an hour or two to come and discuss what you want doing, and put a quote together.

If you ask a contractor to discuss how they would solve your actual problems during an interview people would be going on about "working for free".

And given how many dodgy builders there are out there, and how many horror stories you come across, I don't think "builders don't do this" is really a great argument in the first place. That's why finding a builder can be so stressful.

Leave a comment:

• Draco
    replied
    BGCH? I told them I wouldn't do it, even though I'm overqualified. See:
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140...ware-engineers

I bailed from a highly paid bureaucratic IB role (they wanted my personal bank statements) in favour of non-bureaucratic less paid role (0 references given). 6 hours of interviews, proof I'm not a criminal, still not enough to trust me? The IB rate was 30% higher by the way.

The more we comply with bulltulip, the more we get.

Give them an inch, they take a mile.
    Last edited by Draco; 17 November 2015, 07:08. Reason: add more info

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    The planners don't pay the builder, neither do they care about whether the builder gets paid or not for building the wall.
    It's anti-competitive as only the one or two builders who have already done work in that area or a nearby conservation area can actually do the work. And those builders would have actually done their first wall before the area became a conservation area......

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    To a potential employer, less so, given the amount of useless, skill less, lying, chancing charlatans, on the contract market.
    We know who you are talking about. Is this test rubbish a response to his many thousands of job applications...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Do the council planners expect the builders to build this "sample wall" for free?

The planners don't pay the builder, neither do they care about whether the builder gets paid or not for building the wall.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    It is like asking an experienced stayer to run 100 meters on a straight road as a test to select the best and the most efficient ones for a cross-country marathon. Simply stupid.
    To an experienced person, it is completely stupid.

If you have ever performed any hiring duties, you would already know this

Leave a comment:

Working...
X