• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Win 10 - will you upgrade?"

Collapse

• woohoo
    replied
    I've upgraded my main PC, straightforward. Liking the virtual desktops and is very usable and fast. Only issue on my main PC is ShadowProtect has stopped working, I use this for making image backups. Oh! Elite has stopped working in full screen on my 4K monitor, I'm not that bothered was going off it but there you go.

Cortana works on my main PC but not my laptop, not sure I've done anything different. Cortana works ok, not overly impressed. The search is much better now, just seems faster and with more relevant results. Don't use the tile interface on my main PC.

The PC is high spec, so have not noticed any speed improvements or slow downs. No issues with graphic drivers.

Laptop, still have a few niggly issues with keyboard, slow when first typing in google and occasional problems with the track pad.

Leave a comment:

• BSG
    replied
    I upgraded.. but am having irritating issues with the resolution.. things just seem a bit 'blurry', online solutions arent helping.. hopefully it just fixes as part of an update. Otherwise upgrade was very painless.

Leave a comment:

• kyber
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Cortana does work if you are in the UK. You can change the country and language settings to US but I can't be arsed so don't know how good this feature is.
    [I assume the word "not" was missing] Cortana does work in the UK, but you have to download the speech pack in the language settings.

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    I, too, will upgrade only when someone releases a patch that blocks all the phoning home privacy leaking.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I've seen a few articles describing the report home tendencies of Win 10 and the inability to stop this despite having all settings at max privacy.

I value my privacy and I really don't like intrusive applications, doubly so for an O/S, I will hold off on the upgrades until I see reports that there are counters to the issues.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    Upgraded my WIN 7 laptop fine but my PC has a "Cough" Copy With EZ activator.
    Is it worth the risk?
    Well, tbh (based on my experience) I wouldn't bother. There are still problems with it as far as I can tell & I seemed to be spending hours searching for, & going through, various solutions. Tonight, after getting a bit peed off with it generally, together with a noticeable decrease in speed of my laptop, I reverted to win 8.1, and my laptop is now flying along. I'll pass for now until I start reading that the multitude of issues have been fixed.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Probably not.

The latest terms state: “Microsoft’s Services EULA may automatically check your version of the software and download software update or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorised hardware peripheral devices.”
    This basically means if you use any Microsoft product, including Windows phone, the tech firm can ban you from using anything it deems to be illegal

Windows 10 can find pirated software on your PC and stop you using it | Tech | Life & Style | Daily Express

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    Upgraded my WIN 7 laptop fine but my PC has a "Cough" Copy With EZ activator.
    Is it worth the risk?

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Multiple desktops are a whizz on OSX and even better on El Capitan
    Not in my experience <see post above ^^^^>

Boo

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    In my Action Pack sub. I have noticed that it is Windows 10 Enterprise. Crikey.

Not sure what I'll do with Enterprise. Anyone know if Windows 10 will continue to work with a old NT Domain setup like Windows 8.1 does.

Leave a comment:

• bluetoaster
    replied
    I have to say I quite like it. It is like a posh windows 7 though I have turned off all the data sharing options, the wifi sharing and the live tiles from the start menu.

I've upgraded 2 laptops from Windows 8.1, one went fine and the other uninstalled my AV. I didn't notice until I wanted to check something which was annoying. That was reinstalled promptly followed by a full system scan.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Multiple desktops are a whizz on OSX and even better on El Capitan

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Yeah I'm having exactly the same feeling. But it could be that I did not have that much of an issue with 8.1 so 10 has not really solved or added that much. Apart from the virtual desktops that is something I've always wanted (3rd party options are poor).
    I don't think the virtual desktops is something I need, or want, tbh.

I now hate:
    • The start menu, and have reverted to classic shell which gives me Win 10 OS but with Win 7 start menu, just like I had with Win 8/8.1.
    • Edge browser, & am using Firefox.
    • The fact that stuff is scattered all over the place - cue classic shell which gives me standard links to control panel, and anywhere else I want to navigate to.
    • The fact that this new OS gives me absolutely nothing over & above what I had before with Win 8.1

I do however LIKE the fact that I didn't have to pay for it.

I think it's also slightly slower to start up than win 8.1, and for some reason my laptop battery life has reduced, so there must be some 5hite in the background chugging away.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
    Well, I installed this on my laptop, and tbh am underwhelmed. As far as I can tell, same chocolate bar; different wrapper, with bits of the chocolate bar in different places so go find 'em if you can.
    I think I was expecting some super-duper 'thing' what with all the hype etc.
    I'll stick with 8.1 on my desktop work-horse for now I think.
    Yeah I'm having exactly the same feeling. But it could be that I did not have that much of an issue with 8.1 so 10 has not really solved or added that much. Apart from the virtual desktops that is something I've always wanted (3rd party options are poor).

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Also missed out the main versions people used:
    Windows 3.1,
    Windows 3.11 for workgroups,
    NT3.51 &
    NT4.0

(There were versions of NT before 3.51 but I don't remember them as being up to much)
    If we are being pedantic they also missed out 2003, 2003 R2, 2008 and 2008 R2, but if you have to explain a joke it's not funny

Leave a comment:

Working...
X