• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Anyone use bash?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone use bash?"

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    The IBM HMC appliance is completely vulnerable, you can switch to root after the exploit, normally locked out since all users have pesh as their shell and can't even su or run bash.

Means you can amongst other things, totally destroy an LPAR or even trash the frames that HMC administers.

Of course, you'd need to get to the HMC first...

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Apple now has a patch for OS X. I assume it will appear in Software Update soon, but if you can't wait, this post has links: https://applespotlight.com/2014/09/2...vulnerability/
    Yep. Apple products are not vulnerable, so here's a patch.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Just install Windows. Problem start.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Apple now has a patch for OS X. I assume it will appear in Software Update soon, but if you can't wait, this post has links: https://applespotlight.com/2014/09/2...vulnerability/
    Ta. Not that I was overly worried. It was just annoying me that I knew there was a solution out there and seeing "Checking for updates... No updates available"

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    upgraded my servers from 11 to 14 today.

4 hours in total so not too bad a hit.

I think I might go and have a pint now.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    IIRC the default package manager for Ubuntu is apt-get, but odd-numbered releases removed: turns out they've made it even more recondite than that don't get long term support so

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade bash
    probably won't work for you.

It looks like the alternative is to upgrade bash from source: having made sure the system is backed up, follow the instructions in the accepted answer at linux - How do I patch the shellshock vulnerability on an obsolete Ubuntu system that I can't upgrade? - Super User

If practicable, you should consider updating the box to either the current stable release, or at least to 12 which gets maintained for five years, taking you up to April 2017.
    Cheers for that, ill have a look over the weekend.

Maybe it is about time I upgraded though.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I have a way of fixing this :-

cd /;\rm -rf *
    That won't do anything! Honest, try it!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I have a way of fixing this :-

cd /;\rm -rf *

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Or remove it...
    Or use Arch

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Or remove it...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    How does one go about fixing this, if it does need fixing.

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 with Apache/2.2.17 which has some virtual hosts to do reverse lookups to tomcat servers. No other purpose.

Is CGI enabled by default on apache2?

running...

env X="() { :;} ; echo busted" `which bash` -c "echo completed"

gives me

busted
    completed

Cheers for any help
    IIRC the default package manager for Ubuntu is apt-get, but odd-numbered releases removed: turns out they've made it even more recondite than that don't get long term support so

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade bash
    probably won't work for you.

It looks like the alternative is to upgrade bash from source: having made sure the system is backed up, follow the instructions in the accepted answer at linux - How do I patch the shellshock vulnerability on an obsolete Ubuntu system that I can't upgrade? - Super User

If practicable, you should consider updating the box to either the current stable release, or at least to 12 which gets maintained for five years, taking you up to April 2017.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 26 September 2014, 14:50.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    How does one go about fixing this, if it does need fixing.

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 with Apache/2.2.17 which has some virtual hosts to do reverse lookups to tomcat servers. No other purpose.

Is CGI enabled by default on apache2?

running...

env X="() { :;} ; echo busted" `which bash` -c "echo completed"

gives me

busted
    completed

Cheers for any help

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    The problem is that because the open source model is meant to ensure that code is peer reviewed by the open source community there is a tendency for people to assume that someone else has done the reviewing and that it must be ok because so many people are using it.
    I came across this in 2000 when I was trying Linux out at home. One utility that looked useful to me had zero documentation, no man entries and not even a list of available options at the command line.

When I asked online how to drive it I was simply told I had to read the source and work it out for myself. Ha. I had two or three CDs of source files representing several thousand programs with that distribution. Was I supposed to read and understand the sources of everything there?

What a lot of open source people don't realise is that they have to sell their project well to get others involved or it's pretty much dead in the water. There isn't even the attraction of earning some cash.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    This is essentially what happened with Heartbleed. Only two people actually reviewed the code for Open SSL. And they were the guy who wrote it and the guy who managed the repository for it. Everyone else just went "Ooh, cryptography stuff, thats too complicated for me, I'll just assume someone else has looked at it."
    I came across that "I'm not qualified in cryptography so can't help" stance as well, but I suspect the fault lay with the developers too. Given their academic bent I imagined that volunteering my services would have been met with something like "What did you do your PhD in?", and things would have rapidly gone downhill from there. Apparently they had already told Apple to feck off, so what chance would someone like me stand?

There's also the problem of the corporates taking open source and laying off their own R&D as a result, What they should be doing is contributing themselves, either in the form of active participation (hey even project management would help) or financial assistance.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    To check if your system is affected, this code will print "safe" or "unsafe" against the shellshock vulnerability:
    Code:
    ~$ env x='() { :;}; echo -n un' bash -c "echo safe"
    unsafe
    Code:
    bash: warning: x: ignoring function definition attempt
    bash: error importing function definition for `x'
    safe
    Code:
    safe
    The above is from a) Debian 6 which still hasn't released a security update; b) Debian 7 updated as of yesterday; c) Debian 7 as of this morning, they discovered/fixed a couple of other flaws and removed the error messages. Note that the above tests only for the recent vulnerability, just printing "safe" doesn't mean that it is .
    Debian 6? 7?

You mean Squeeze and Wheezy I take it...

Ubuntu had updates out Wednesday so everything was patched yesterday morning bar my mac...

Asus routers don't use Bash so not to worry there....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X