• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I went with Hey!Broadband and their home worker package. I wanted something that didn't have to come bundled with a phone line.
    Yes, I'm glad there are now services without a phone. I paid Virgin Media for a phone line that didn't work for years. Sky Business added insult to injury as the phone line they insisted on turned out not to even be a proper phone line - it's a VOIP thing that plugs into the router, hogging a port. Due to a shortage of power sockets in the relevant spot, it's never even been connected

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    A meeting overran and there wasn't much time to do anything before the next one, so I bought myself a new iPad Air just for something to do. Delivery tomorrow
    The iPad is apparently going to spend much of the day wandering the land, as it left the depot at 9:15 but won't be here until after 16:00

During standup my phone rang with a number I didn't recognise, so naturally I ignored it. Afterwards I Googled the number, and it was from a small hairdressing salon near the seafront in Swanage, a place I've never been

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Morning all

Cloudy. Grey. Currently 18 degrees with a high of 20 expected. Rain forecast this afternoon / early evening. Barometer down to 1015 mBar.

Sold a Tumi carry on suitcase this morning, so that's an extra £100 I didn't have when I woke up. Someone got themselves a bargain and I have one less thing to move that I don't use.

Leave a comment:

• covbob
    replied

It's a Toyota - patch up that bit and the rest of it will keep going forever

Can't remember exactly what mine's on but I think it's about 165K at the age of 23
    Thanks NF - that's roughly what I was thinking! I like this car. It's comfortable, big enough to fit in multiple children when I need to and has decent fuel economy. For £3000 back in about 2019 it's done OK so far! Might as well stick with it a while longer.

Leave a comment:

• covbob
    replied
    Morning gang

Very dull and grey here. Laptop wouldn't power up and needed me to faff with the self test sequence etc to get it to respond. Not a good start to the day.

CovKid 2 is off to a visit to a farm with school today, CovKid 3 is in nursery and Mrs CB is in the office. It's just me and the CovMogs today

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Morning all
    A short walk has been walked (5.1km)
    The sky was menacingly black looking north, but that has blown through without any precipitation round here.
    Already in discussions with project managers about the next few weeks of meetings: what is the purpose of them, who is attending, where are they being held, etc. You know, the important stuff. I've been told 3 different hotels for the first week, and for the next trip, since it was first mooted:
    Day 1:
    PM1: If you can go, book your flights
    Me: I can go, will reorganise a few things.
    PM2: Don't book your flights, PM1 is not authorised to ask you as they have not checked with my plan
    Day 2:
    PM3: We'll let you know today if you should book your flights
    Day 3:
    PM3: We'll let you know by close of business today if you should book your flights
    Day 4:
    PM2: Book your flights
    Me: These flights are a LOT more expensive than normal.
    PM2: Don't book your flights
    Day 6:
    PM1: Have you booked your flights yet?
    Me: These flights are a LOT more expensive than normal, if you're authorising me, I'll book them.
    PM1: Give me an estimation for the the full cost of the trip
    Me: Researches it all, prices up hotels, parking, mileage, etc
    PM1: I'm not sure I should authorise that, but you have to be there. I need to speak to PM4.
    Day 7:
    Let's see what happens today.

For context: PM1 is full time employed by the client and signs off all time sheets and expenses. The other 3 PMs are contractors brought it to manage different parts of the project.
    Oh the joys of having to explain to people -

Me: I need 3 weeks notice
    PM: Why
    Me: Flights start to get really expensive 3 weeks before the flight date
    PM: but we don't know if we can do things that week
    Me: Trust me get things sorted
    PM (2 weeks later): Everything sorted can you book flights now
    Me: Find another £2k - I did warn you..

Hotels we always had the continued joy of client please use our discount code - hang on that's €40 more expensive than me using my own, are you sure this hotel likes you?

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Morning.

Tuesday.

Grey. Gloomy.

Sunless.

"Dry" except it seems to be picking with rain.

Cool in here at 18.8 deg, 19.5 deg in the kitchen, 18 deg in the leanto.

1008.5 mBar, 29.78 in Hg, 756.43 Torr, 14.627 psi, (down from 1021 last night assuming I tapped it), 78% RH (GDR hair), 74% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 5th of October 2019 I was thinking of doing some "gardening" until it started raining which put that on hold, followed by watching yet more of S2 of Jeremiah which proved less than inspiring after the first two eps, followed by World War Weird, whereas NF was doing the laundry and then discovered that the film he was thinking of watching had a score of 3.5 on IMDB so didn't bother.

Still raining.

For the sake of sommat to do: washed the floor in the porch, disturbing many spiders in the process, including what may be a false widow.

Then I found some more books to donate to Oxfam, including one about Uncle Dickie which I'm very unlikely to read, plus a Colin Watson hardback (One Man's Meat to accompany the two paperbacks by him I found recently), and a hardback copy of "The Secret Life of J. Edgar Hoover" which I didn't know I had, the paperback version going the way of all books a month or so ago. Currently debating if I wish to read Douglas Bader's autobiog or donate it unread.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 10:45.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Morning all
    A short walk has been walked (5.1km)
    The sky was menacingly black looking north, but that has blown through without any precipitation round here.
    Already in discussions with project managers about the next few weeks of meetings: what is the purpose of them, who is attending, where are they being held, etc. You know, the important stuff. I've been told 3 different hotels for the first week, and for the next trip, since it was first mooted:
    Day 1:
    PM1: If you can go, book your flights
    Me: I can go, will reorganise a few things.
    PM2: Don't book your flights, PM1 is not authorised to ask you as they have not checked with my plan
    Day 2:
    PM3: We'll let you know today if you should book your flights
    Day 3:
    PM3: We'll let you know by close of business today if you should book your flights
    Day 4:
    PM2: Book your flights
    Me: These flights are a LOT more expensive than normal.
    PM2: Don't book your flights
    Day 6:
    PM1: Have you booked your flights yet?
    Me: These flights are a LOT more expensive than normal, if you're authorising me, I'll book them.
    PM1: Give me an estimation for the the full cost of the trip
    Me: Researches it all, prices up hotels, parking, mileage, etc
    PM1: I'm not sure I should authorise that, but you have to be there. I need to speak to PM4.
    Day 7:
    Let's see what happens today.

For context: PM1 is full time employed by the client and signs off all time sheets and expenses. The other 3 PMs are contractors brought it to manage different parts of the project.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Morning denizens

Grey start out, 14°C with 17° due later, and the barometers are down again, to 1000/1008mB

On the bright side, it's bin day! And indeed, the bin wagons are just arriving - both recycling and general waste travelling in convoy today, it seems

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Teatime viewing was an old Police Interceptors

And then E1 of D-Day: The Unheard Tapes on iPlayer. Very interesting hearing accounts of the day in people's own voices.

And in Atomic Accidents, the Castle Bravo H-bomb test produced a much bigger bang than expected, and shut down the entire Japanese fishmongering industry for a while when the fishing vessel Lucky Dragon 5 returned from the vicinity with a catch of highly radioactive tuna and a highly radioactive crew

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Quick bit of gardening done (2hrs of digging up the roots of an old tree so we could reposition a bird feeder), followed by dinner. Been watching our fox, who hasn’t interacted with any of the hedgehogs yet tonight, but it’s only a matter of time.
    Meanwhile Max is exhausted from being a good, but stressed out, boy over the last few days, having finally got his home back himself alone. Will take him for a walk in the morning before sorting out hotels and flights for work over the next 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

We're supposed to be able to get that round here; they announced it not long after I moved in, when I'd already arranged a two-year business broadband contract through MyCo

That runs out in December, so I'm going to see what's on offer in the autumn - I assume they'll need to run the new connection up to the flat somehow, and that will almost certainly involve the property management company, so it might take a few weeks to sort it all out
    I went with Hey!Broadband and their home worker package. I wanted something that didn't have to come bundled with a phone line.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Booked broadband installation (full fibre!).
    We're supposed to be able to get that round here; they announced it not long after I moved in, when I'd already arranged a two-year business broadband contract through MyCo

That runs out in December, so I'm going to see what's on offer in the autumn - I assume they'll need to run the new connection up to the flat somehow, and that will almost certainly involve the property management company, so it might take a few weeks to sort it all out

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea: chicken and chips with gravy

Today turned cloudy after the promising start, and has remained so

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Uneventful morning.

Paid the moving deposit. Booked parking suspensions for moving day. Booked broadband installation (full fibre!).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X