• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    I forgot to add: my parking of the van back in the tiny wee space was much better and I was quite pleased with that.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    This afternoon turned out to be extremely stressful.

I picked up the van, which had been badly parked into a tiny wee space.

I then went back to the flat where HWMBO had kindly moved all the boxes into the front garden. Some oik was right up my behind and I couldn't temporarily stop to load, so I had to go around the corner and try again. Van loaded, we headed to the storage place that's no more than quarter of a mile away as the crow flies but, due to the train tracks, requires a more scenic route.

There was much traffic and idiot pedestrians.

On arrival at the storage place, we unloaded and I realised I'd left the key at home.

On driving home, I realised I would exceed my allotted hire time so, whilst in a traffic jam, I quickly extended it by half an hour.

Van unloaded into storage, I realised that we would have to go to a petrol station as the extra trip home and back left me too close to the 1/4 tank limit and I didn't fancy a fine.

At the petrol station, the zipcar fuel car was declined and I wasted much time trying to fathom out how to get it to work before calling customer services to find out what to do next (pay for it myself). I didn't have any cards on me so I had to ask HWMBO to pay.

I was then late returning the van, which I told the customer services person would happen when asking for their help, and incurred a £35 late return fee.

On submitting the claim for fuel costs plus reimbursement of the late return fee, zipcar inform me that BACS takes 1-2 weeks to reach my bank account (odd, as it's a three day process) and wouldn't I like to leave all that money in my zipcar account for when I next want to use a car? Errr... no.

On getting home and having a restorative G&T I spot a box in the corner of the living room that I forgot to add to the pile to take to storage

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    A solitary magpie was pecking around on the lawn, when a couple of pigeons came down and started ambling about six feet away from it. It gave them a beady eye for a few moments, then ran at them! The pigeons flew up and landed again about three feet away behind the magpie, which then flew away. I haven't seen any of the magpies hassling the pigeons before - that's more the kind of thing the crows do

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Afternoon denizens

Rather cloudy out, albeit with brief sunny spells now and then. Currently 17°C, which is all we're getting. The barometers are down a bit at 1001/1008mB

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Afternoon all

Cloudy but dry. Currently 19 degrees with a high of 20 expected. Barometer down to 1011 mBar.

This morning we went to the farmer's market around the corner and purchased some provisions. Then went to the shops on the main road to see who had what and buy lots more provisions.

I have booked a zipvan for an hour this afternoon to move stuff to storage and make a bit more space in the flat.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Morning all
    An almost Simpsoneque sky and quite a pleasant temperature for gardening. Might be doing a tip run later if we can get one (or more) dumpy bags or garden waste into The Wife’s car. Also need to advise the neighbours that we’re planning a bonfire later as there’s about 6 more bags to go.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Morning.

Saturday.

Dry.

Wanly sunny.

Cool in here at 18.6 deg, 19.5 in the kitchen, 18 in the leanto.

1010.5 mBar, 29.84 in Hg, 757.937 Torr, 14.656 psi, (down from 1012 last night), 71% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 21st of October 2019 NF watched "Sunset Boulevard" which must be fairly unique in having narration by a dead man, which I still haven't watched despite having had a copy for a decade or more, the weather was dry and grey, and I was in search of kitty litter which implies that them next door were off gallivanting somewhere with me looking after the cat.

Well there's a thing: the red weed in the lawn is orange hawkweed. Who'd have thunk?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/orange-haw...043010125.html

It's spread up the valley over the last 10 years or so.

Walk (unabbreviated, with more flies) walked in the greyish gloom.

Lunch: baked spud etc. which was lucky since there was a bad spud in the bag.

My lumbar spine just went <clunk>. I hate it when that happens. .

Entertainment: the commentary on "First Man (2018)".

Tea: soup (lentil) etc.

Entertainment: Scotland Yard "The Blazing Caravan (1954)".

Gilmour, David: Live at Pompeii (2016). I waiting for "Comfortably Numb" before doing the dishes.

Dixon of Dock Green S21 E2 "The Job (1976)".

Veronica Mars S3 E16.

Veronica Mars S3 E17.

Veronica Mars S3 E18.

The Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre "Incident at Midnight (1962)".
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 16:52.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tonight's major motion picture premiere was The Tragedy of Macbeth (2021) which is excellent; faithful to the text, and the set design was, I thought, very fine: minimal for the most part, yet rich in detail in such moments as were meet. Somebody once said that the play is just a load of quotations strung together, and when watching a production like this, one does marvel at how much of the glorious language Shakespeare imbued this story with has become commonplace. I thought I was reasonably knowledgeable about it, but found myself thinking "Oh, that's where <two or three word phrase> comes from" throughout. I reckon that Shakespeare chap has a bright future ahead of him if he can keep this up

And then The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 (2015) which is, as I've said before, very good. More importantly, now that I've refreshed my memory, I can watch the recently-released prequel without risk of missing any clever forward references

Finally, a couple more episodes of S4 of The Wire

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea: lamb shank in mint gravy, with chips and peas

Accompanied by Trucking Hell

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    The water meter installation technician has just called and will be here within the hour.

Different person from the one who came last week so I wonder if they will also decide they don't want to do it and say it can't be done today.
    It wasn't a different person.

They spent a good while checking things and then fitting the meter. Then discovered that the pipe wasn't the inbound water feed and that it must be buried somewhere inaccessible. So, he has to come back to remove the meter as he didn't have the right sized connector to replace the it with a bit of pipe. I could leave it there but I think that will ultimately cause too many problems.

So, I cannot have a water meter and will need to make sure I get an assessed charge that better reflects what I use. I'd like it to be not too dissimilar to what I paid for the past two years whilst on a meter...

The gas and electric meters were a doddle by comparison.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    NF reported that the Saisburys Local had its cash machine removed, along with the signage. I wonder what it became.
    A Salvation Army shop and collection centre

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Lunch: crispy duck with pancakes and hoisin sauce

I originally got this with the idea that I might need something to snack on while staying up overnight for the election, but I never got around to cooking it then. It needed eating by today and I have something else for this evening, so lunch seemed like a good plan. Half of it left for another time, too!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    The water meter installation technician has just called and will be here within the hour.

Different person from the one who came last week so I wonder if they will also decide they don't want to do it and say it can't be done today.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    ^^ I miss Brillo. I should send him a note on LinkedIn and see if he's ok

Morning all

Cloudy, dull. Currently 14 degrees with a high of 19 expected. No rain forecast but the cloud is here to stay. Barometer down a smidge to 1014 mBar.

Was up early on account of a water meter fitting appointment starting from 8 am. While waiting for them to turn up, I have been job hunting. The excitement continues this afternoon with gas and electricity smart meters being fitted.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Morning.

Friday apparently. Where would I be without the Lidl(tm) clock that tells me this?

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Drizzly.

Damp.

Grey.

Sunless.

Cool in here at 18.5 deg, 19.5 deg in the kitchen, 18 in the leanto.

1003.5 mBar, 29.63334 in Hg, 752.6868 Torr, 14.5545 psi, (up from 1002 last night), 72% RH (Lidl electric).

1013.5 mBar, (up from 1012 last night), 72% RH.

Meanwhile on the 20th of October 2019 NF had a sausage sandwich for lunch, Brillo made LM larf, I did some gardening & went for a walk after charging the battery on the Corolla, whereas the Oak Island nutjobs returned, finding an old penny, a lump of lead, a nail and a rock with a hole in it, NF reported that the Saisburys Local had its cash machine removed, along with the signage. I wonder what it became. (And now we know. ).

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the grey gloom and threats of drizzle.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc.

Entertainment: some thing on R4 waffling on about something I can't remember. It went <click>. Oh yes, I remember now: it was artificially grown meat. Just remember folks, Soylent Green is People. .

Rained. A lot.

Veronica Mars S3 E13.

Tea: soup etc.

Entertainment: The News Quiz.

Veronica Mars S3 E14. That's the last we see of the sheriff.

Veronica Mars S3 E15. And that's who killed the Dean.

"First Man (2018)": the Neil Armstrong biopic. Inneresting enough. Purchased in November 2019.

The book it's taken from is on top of a bookshelf behind my head where it's sat for at least 10 years IIRC.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 07:48.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X