• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    And I shall be going down to London on Wednesday where we are having a meeting to discuss "lessons learned" - though in reality, it's mainly an excuse for all of us to meet in person for the first time and let those who haven't visited the Admiralty before have a look at the place, before going down the pub
    If it's convenient, I could swing by the train station / pub / wherever and give you that Jeff Vandermeer trilogy I've been hanging onto for years

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Word has finally come down from on high, so we're officially ready to start shutting things down

I've decided that I'd very much enjoy taking a few weeks off to recover from this nonsense, so I'll have to work out what the correct channels are. I think I tell my contract manager, but she doesn't work on Fridays - though that didn't stop her approving my timesheet a few minutes ago

Anyway, we need at least until the end of next week to tidy things away, and I'm already off the week after. The official email includes a lot of stuff to do but very little of it is down to me, as there are managers who will write "lessons learned" documents and so on; I just need to contribute my 2p-worth when asked.

As my main insight is that it was always going to be a lot more complicated than everybody expected because management never looked at it properly before starting and wouldn't give us any people who could have told them this, it's probably best that I'm not going to be doing the final writeup

For the most part, I'll just be asking other people to dispose of stuff then waiting until they say they've done it. I daresay I can manage that by this time next week

And I shall be going down to London on Wednesday where we are having a meeting to discuss "lessons learned" - though in reality, it's mainly an excuse for all of us to meet in person for the first time and let those who haven't visited the Admiralty before have a look at the place, before going down the pub

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Forgot to say: brunch was a cholesterol laden delight. Streaky bacon, scrambled eggs and bread fried in the bacon fat.

I need to make some more bread. Last week's experiment worked out well albeit with room for improvement.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Afternoon all

Dry and sunny. Wispy cloud scurrying past, occasionally being chased by a lumper cousin. Cloud cover set to increase as the day progresses. Currently 22 degrees and that's the high for the day. Barometer remains at 1004 mBar.

My weather app is showing a rainfall warning for pretty much the whole south-east corner of the UK. This appears to be for tomorrow where the forecast is 100% chance of rain, all day.

If I had enough laundry to do, today would be a good drying day.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Nothing to do before standup except glance through the Go Live checklist, seeing if there was anything we'd done that will have to be undone that I hadn't already thought of; didn't find anything

Then during standup we mainly talked about festivals, as the PM and DM are each going to one this weekend, one in London and one in Bristol

With that important matter dealt with, the most senior person present said that there'd still been zero communication from the more senior people so pending any further updates, we could just enjoy a nice relaxing Friday

I decided that I'd feel more relaxed if I knew there was a good reserve of chocolate peanut clusters around the place, so I drove over to M&S. They've been extensively remodelling the store recently, with a much bigger and shinier Food Hall now open and looking very impressive. This meant I had to spend ages wandering around working out where everything is now but despite my extreme dislike of such changes, I eventually granted it my seal of approval

I also popped into the menswear section where the same cognitive dissonance initially applied, but some wandering around in confusion paid off in the end. I got a pair of chinos, a belt, and a shirt - at which point, when queuing to pay, I discovered that they now have self-checkouts for clothes! A great improvement in my view, as it always used to take ages while the people ahead were asked if they wanted the hanger

And so home again, where the aroma of the soup has even permeated slightly out on to the landing. I've carried out an assessment and the lentils will need a bit longer, so I now need to decide which of the various delights I garnered at M&S will form lunch

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Morning.

Friday.

Dry.

Sunny.

Cold breeze.

Chilly in here at 19.7 deg, 20.5 in the kitchen, 17.5 in the leanto, 16.4 in the saltinghouse.

999 mBar, 29.5 in Hg, 749.3 Torr, 14.489 psi, (up from 996 last night), 70% RH (Lidl electric).

Shirts in the WM.

Shirts out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Smalls in the WM.

Meanwhile on the 4th of November 2019 there was yet more wood found on Oak Island, LM made soup, WTFH was unretiring.

Smalls out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Cottons in the WM.

Shopping trip to Morrisons done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away.

Lunch: breakfast.

Cottons out of the WM and pegged out on the line.

Shirts in off the line & roughly iRoned, and airing upstairs.

Entertainment: ?commentary on Fringe S1 pilot?

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 10:42.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Earwig.

Loony lady 1 walk later and going to cinema with loony lady 3 this evening. Not been to cinema for years.
    Last edited by xoggoth; Today, 08:03.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Morning all

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Morning denizens

After a blustery and rainy night it's a sunny start, adorned with numerous discrete lumps of cloud (very similar in appearance to those symbols on the weather map) moving at pace along the line of the horizon if one directs one's gaze in a direction perpendicular to the wind. It's already 15°C and aiming for 20°, with the barometers down some more to 985/993mB

I've had the chicken carcass plus veg in the slow cooker overnight, so a pleasant aroma filled the flat when I arose this morning. The downside is that I then have to muck around first thing, moving it to whatever Stage II I have planned. But I shall now be having herby chicken, tomato and lentil soup for lunch, so it pays off in the end

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Telly earlier was an episode of the Gloucestershire police night shift thing. This included a vehicle stop just before Boots Corner on the High Street in Cheltenham, just outside WH Smith and, unsurprisingly, opposite Boots

And then the book was again ignored as I extended the mazes thing so I can have a list of algorithms in the side navigation and switch between them. This made me realise that the technique I'd initially adopted of implementing the algorithm as an extension on the maze map class wasn't sufficiently flexible, so I rejigged it to use a protocol instead, which is much better

Friday tomorrow! Not sure if I'll have anything to do though, other than submit a timesheet

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea has been chicken jalfrezi with rice and naan

Still no word from on high, so the afternoon was very peaceful

And before tea, I had a quick play with the Swift stuff and got it to a point where it's usable for the original purpose I wanted it for: working through the book Mazes for Programmers, which I bought a few years ago but have never got around to digging into properly. The stuff I've done is sufficient for a graphical display of mazes generated by any of the algorithms in the early chapters

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Afternoon all

Dull, damp, windy. Currently 19 degrees with a high of 20 allegedly still to come. There was some rain early this morning but none forecast. Barometer down to 1004 mBar.

I received a call about a role I'd applied for. Appalling rate but I prefer to be bringing something in rather than burning through the war chest. Although they only want someone with a couple of years' experience, I'm sure the role will go someone with more experience than I have and probably in something that wasn't on the job spec.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Busy, busy, busy! Not me, of course. But the senior manager who has to officially tell us to start closing the project down is covering for an even-more-senior person's leave, and as a result has been too busy to deal with what has always, TBH, been the redheaded stepchild of projects in the department. So although the PM has made a nice organised plan of what we have to do, and I've made a nice list of everything that needs to be shut down or archived and who I need to liaise with to achieve this, we concluded at this morning's standup that we can't actually start on any of that until the shutdown is officially promulgated

So after standup, I went to Big Sainsbury's and did the shopping

As a result, lunch has been a couple of the nice garlic and herb chicken thighs from the hot food counter with a bag of plain crisps

Not sure what I'll do this afternoon should we remain rudderless. Read idiocy on Twitter until it's time to knock off, probably

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Morning.

Thursday.

Grey.

Wet, very wet.

Windy to make the wet horizontal.

Sunless: to show there's a BH on the way.

Cool in here at 19.2 deg, 20 in the kitchen, 18.5 in the leanto.

999 mBar, 29.5 in Hg, 749.3 Torr, 14.489 psi, (untapped), 74% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 4th of November 2019 Ye Giante Ratte of Neathe was observed making its way from Ye Giante Ratte Holee near the sheltered housing to the greenery on the other side of what once was a road, whereas the ATM in Barclays ate my expired cashcard to my alarm, having forgotten it was expired.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc. Discovered the reason the bread hasn't gone blue: it's not the usual pumpkin seed & thingie one. Which is lucky.

Entertainment: more mildly amusing Sledge Hammer.

The commentary on "The Stone Tape (1972)" which has the added advantage of quieting THE SHOUTING and the ASR33. I wonder if they knew there was a quiet cabinet available for same?

Walk (abbreviated) walked during which the cause of yesterday's flashing yellow lights on the lane were discovered: hedge trimming.

More Sledge Hammer.

Tea: beans on toast (non blue) etc.

Entertainment: more of the book about The Orange Moron.

Fringe S1 Pilot.

Trucking Hell S8 E15.

Fringe S1 E2.

More Sledge Hammer.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Yesterday, 20:11.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Slept in. Chopping wood on a school night is not a good idea. Overnight precipitation (but not much) has lead to an overcast morning. A short perambulation was had - less than an hour - but at least it achieved the necessary 2 project plans from MMtSH.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X