• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    War day again
    Warm, not war

It has cleared up a bit, tending towards the Simpsonesque now

Tea has been beef short rib and Guinness casserole with chips and peas. Very tasty, that one; once I've finished what's in the freezer, I'll have to try to remember how I made it

And lunch this afternoon was a pork and applesauce bap (wholemeal)

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Afternoon denizens

War day again but cloudier than it was by this time yesterday. It's expected to clear a bit, but not until near sunset. Currently 22°C and getting to 23° later. The barometers have leapt up to 1008/1015mB

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Morning.

Sunday.

Damp.

Grey.

Sunless.

Cloudy.

Cool in here at 19.6 deg, 20 deg in the kitchen, 19.5 deg in the leanto.

1014.5 mBar, 29.958 in Hg, 760.94 Torr, 14.714 psi, (up from 1009 last night), 78% RH (GDR hair), 69% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 12th of October 2019 MS made a rare visit, and having become slightly bored with Joan of Arcadia I watched the ex vets in "Great British Car Journeys", NF visited the Chinese followed by a viewing of "Platoon", and WTFH found some large courgettes ().

I was pleased that I figured out how to turn the bluray player thing on yesterday. I can't remember the last time I did that, and the assemblage had been moved around to allow the vacuuming under the tv stand thing so the wiring had been altered.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the greyish gloom and wan sunshine. Very close.

First of the tiny toads spotted, and a horsefly was lucky to escape with its life.

Another free screw found on the road.

Lunch: beans on toast etc.

Entertainment: Veronica Mars S1 E8.

TWTW waffling on about innovation and all that. Doomed etc. "The white heat of the technological revolution" made an appearance. Whatever happened to that?
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 12:19.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Morning all

Blue sky with occasional wispy fluff. Currently 18 degrees with a high of 24 expected. Barometer up to 1019 mBar.

Was woken up by something making a crashing/clattering sound. Turned out the command hook holding up something with my keys on it had fallen off the wall.

Not visiting Mum today as I have too much unpacking and sorting out to do.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Spider-Man 2 (2004) because I watched the first one recently so I might as well watch this one too. It's OK, then it gets going and it's a bit better. IIRC this is a Marvel one and the good ones like Wonder Woman and Superman and such are DC. Not sure why whoever owns the Marvel franchise insists on the films not being as good as the DC ones, but I daresay they have their reasons

Then a rewatch of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 (2014) and then, because the scene of destruction in District 12 reminded me of the start of it, Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) which I reckon is one of the best films about robots from the future seeking to ensure the destruction of mankind

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Well the marks on the kitchen floor are non salvageable. Will have to see what the landlady says on Monday. The wood flooring was trashed anyway but, considering how she's repairing stuff and making it all pristine for her new tenants, she may well want to sting me for an entire new floor.
    My last (I hope) landlord gave me grief over the state of the carpet. Back when the deposit scheme came in, which was after I'd moved there, the original landlord had placed it with some organisation or other that deals with such matters, and he'd inherited that when he bought the place and issued new tenancy agreements. So I sent him a link to a document on said organisation's website that said it was unreasonable to withhold deposit over a carpet that was more than ten years old, and pointed out that the carpet had been there as long as I had: eighteen years

I didn't really care about the deposit anyway. It was from 2004 and was a month's rent then plus a hundred quid, so £395. Spending time arguing about it would literally have been more than my time is worth. He'd agreed immediately to my suggestion that he keep it and put it towards cleaning the flat and any other expenses, which saved me the trouble of getting the place cleaned. He was your classic BTL cheapskate, and I very much hope that the cleaning plus the cost of the new carpet came to more than that and left him in agonies over losing an utterly trivial sum

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Went to a hospital this morning (not my local one, because they don’t have a walk in clinic), turns out that I had an infection in my ear, not just gunk. Now on a course of amoxicillin for 5 days to see if it will clear up. In the mean time, I can’t hear anything from the far right, which is quite nice in the current political climate

Night all

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Well the marks on the kitchen floor are non salvageable. Will have to see what the landlady says on Monday. The wood flooring was trashed anyway but, considering how she's repairing stuff and making it all pristine for her new tenants, she may well want to sting me for an entire new floor.

A few more boxes have been emptied. The kitchen is still a tip.

As I have no internet for TV and don't want to use all of my mobile data, I may have to read a book! I might ease myself in with the latest Private Eye first.

Which reminds me: there's a place up near Ealing Broadway that does free hotdesking - you don't even have to buy a coffee and nurse it for hours. So I'll try it out on Monday and hopefully it'll be ok for the couple of meetings I have on Tuesday.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea tonight was from KFC

By the time I got back from the southern regions it had turned sunny and Simpsonesque here, and continues so - a very pleasant evening

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

It can happen to anyone. Just need to be a touch off guard for a moment and they're in! Glad it's been cancelled, gift cards are quite hard to stop.
    Wlms - the modern scammer is considerably more skilful and professional than some Nigerian youth in an Internet café

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

It can happen to anyone. Just need to be a touch off guard for a moment and they're in! Glad it's been cancelled, gift cards are quite hard to stop.
    Thanks LM, makes me feel a bit less of a total idiot.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    The keys were picked up nearly an hour after the cleaners were supposed to start. No idea what time they got actually started but they were originally due to finish at 6pm. Will shortly take a wander down there to see where they're at. I need to have a look at some patches of dodgy floor to see if I can effect a repair before Monday morning.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Thought I was pretty savvy and can't believe I've been scammed. It wasn't your average dodgy looking thing, it was an email, apparently from loony lady 3 using both her's and my correct names, asking if i'd send her niece an Apple gift card for her birthday and she'd pay me back later. Somebody must have got into her email account and got all her contact details. Fortunately the order is showing as cancelled, seems the bank must have spotted it as dodgy.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Thought I was pretty savvy and can't believe I've been scammed. It wasn't your average dodgy looking thing, it was an email, apparently from loony lady 3 using both her's and my correct names, asking if i'd send her niece an Apple gift card for her birthday and she'd pay me back later. Somebody must have got into her email account and got all her contact details. Fortunately the order is showing as cancelled, seems the bank must have spotted it as dodgy.
    Last edited by xoggoth; Yesterday, 15:55.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Ham sandwiches and a bag of plain crisps for lunch

Leave a comment:

Working...
X