• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE workshop: Preparing contractors for Autumn : Weds 29th Sep at 7.15pm. More details here.

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Telly was the leftover last twenty minutes or so of a bailiff programme on My5 whilst dining; didn't bother other than that

Last Friday of the gig tomorrow! And of course I want to get my walk in first thing, and recover the recycling bin; so it's time for a properly early night

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    The recycling has been trundled.

Someone was burning some very smelly herbs earlier. Not an odour I particularly like.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Burger and chips for tea. Tasty

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    (Both of those are real objections that he's raised in the past. The commented-out line of code one almost every time.)

I wonder how he/she/it/they would have coped with the boundless conditional assembly in the source code for the Comcare telephone thing.

My personal favourite was "Julian's_LED_Test".

Even better, the cross assembler itself was "homegrown" & running on a Mac.

Ah, dear dead days beyond recall.

The wonders of the MC6805 something or other.

Well that was inneresting: one of the chaps I worked with spent some time as a "machine operator" at Ford in Bridgend.

He was redundant from a software job in Cardiff after 11 years.

Some of his choices look as doubtful as some of mine.

Looks like another chap I worked with there is no longer with us, having dropped off the Electoral Register in 2015.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 21:02.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Realised I'm on the home run of TCoOI having just passed the half way mark on S8.
    Season 9 looks like it'll start airing on 2 November

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I didn't get time to walk up to the high street to book in my eye test and, having discovered a hole in the knee of my leggings (which I made worse by poking my finger through it), I couldn't be bothered to change into less religious clothing to do a walk after I'd logged off.

I will go up there tomorrow.

Watched the tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh that the BBC aired yesterday. It was pleasant enough but not sure why it attracted so many column inches in the paper.

Realised I'm on the home run of TCoOI having just passed the half way mark on S8.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    On the way out I took the recycling down with me and trundled forth the bin. It's only about half full, but they'll empty it anyway so it might as well go out

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Walk briskly walked, green ring closed

Quite pleasant out there

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Right, that's me done for the day

I didn't even have time to go for my walk at lunchtime, as I've taken to doing on Thursdays, because there was too much going on

But it's sunny now and up to 21°C so I'll go in a bit

Only five more working days

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Nice and warm and sunny down at the coast. Loony lady 1 still not up to long walks but I just dump here at the cafe and stride off.

Don't understand that lack of wind for wind turbines thing, it's always breezy by the sea and the loads of turbines on the horizon were zooming round.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

I would be asking about commented out lines of code - simply because it doesn't pass my "could you (or someone else) understand the code while in a hurry to fix a problem x months down the line" test

When I've done that in the past it's usually with 2 commits (one with the line commented out, the next with the line removed so people know what's happening).
    I don't have a problem with the principle; but there's somebody who urgently needs this available or they'll be working over the weekend. So the appropriate thing to do would be to say "I'll open a ticket so we remember to go back and tidy up this file when the pressure's eased a bit, but in the meantime, I'll approve this PR that has successfully passed the 411 unit tests and 465 functional tests we have in the system so they can get their work done"

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Lunch: Scotch broth and multiseed bread

The nitpicking has begun, because letting the Delivery Manager get on with the shedload of work she has to do is obviously much less important than the risk of leaving an unused variable in a file that will be executed exactly once during a configuration step and could then be deleted without making any difference whatsoever

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Tree surgeons gone (and paid)
    As well as bringing down two large trees, to get to them they cleared some other hedging. We've now got an extra 3 metres of garden.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Tree surgeons gone (and paid)
    As well as bringing down two large trees, to get to them they cleared some other hedging. We've now got an extra 3 metres of garden.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Extension to the end of the year received.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X