• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Bags mostly packed, almost ready to go. Just need to take The DogTW for a walk in the morning, then drop her off with the brother in law, and then up to the big smoke before Sunday’s flight.

TFBSZ.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea: roast gammon, chips, fried eggs and beans

Accompanied by Trucking Hell of course

The car earlier was a Ford Bronco which made a vestigial profit at auction, and the gold diggers all seemed happy enough

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Oh, and I finally remembered to put up the shower curtain I got the other day

Still haven't read the manual for the smart shower though

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    It's already turning frosty again out

Lunch was sausages in finger rolls, which were very nice and also help with the mission of reducing the amount of stuff in the freezer

And then I moved various minor but bulky bits of stuff to the car along with a couple of bags of books and headed over to the new flat.

The cardboard explosion in the living room was even worse than I remembered, but it only took a few minutes to get it folded to manageable proportions so I could start ferrying it down to the car. On the first trip down I got to the front door at the same time as what I think is the ground floor flat below mine. She is, I suspect, an academic; she had the general air of one, including the hair dyed a colour not found in nature but without being too outré. The neighbourhood is rich in such people, as the university (Leicester, not De Montfort) is just across the park. But the most important aspect of this chance meeting was that she had her hands full of bags of rubbish, so I was able to ask her where the bins are

Behind the opposite block turns out to be the answer, so it's a minor trek. On the other hand, I believe the cleaners of the communal areas will take one's bags away if they're left outside one's flat door on certain mornings. This is a probably a concession to the several, and possibly numerous, very elderly people I've seen about the place though, and the exercise will do me good

Anyway, I got all the cardboard from the sofa down to the car and went down to the tip to drop it off; I didn't bother with all the plastic, as that can be bundled up and stuck in a corner, so it can wait until the rest of it comes from the other things that need unboxing and assembling.

Returning, I remembered to collect about a third of the stuff from the storage place, so that's now cluttering the bedroom and hallway. And I popped into Homebase (also en route, and it has an Amazon Locker) to get a mixed selection of screws and Rawlplugs, as I'd forgotten to measure the existing Billy bookcase holes, and I figured having a variety available couldn't do any harm.

As it was then getting to the time when the river crossing becomes unusable until after rush hour, I made a coffee and stuck some stuff in the dishwasher so I could get an idea of how long its most intensive cycle takes. Then I settled down to see what could be done with the TV, as I'd found the remote here and even remembered to put new batteries in before taking it with me. The remote seems a bit unreliable; some buttons work better than others and some don't seem to work at all, and it generally seems to need more pressure than my current ones. Also, the TV is on the floor because there's nothing to put it on, so the angle of attack probably isn't helping. But I eventually managed to hop around various channels.

And then, as the moon was rising behind the tree next to the opposite block which made the place look very scenic, I headed home. It's not as warm in here as it is over there

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Afternoon all

This morning was overcast and a bit dull with only a light dusting of frost. The cloud seems to have cleared just in time for the afternoon sun to do it's bit and blind me while I work. It's 3 degrees and apparently it might get up to 4. Barometer is down to 1010 mBar.

Busy day at the coal face again. Knackered. Lunch was ham and cheese omelette. Might have some crisps later.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    And the recycling bin was trundled forth in the frosty night, and safely recovered and detrundled (still a bit frosty) before I went shopping

Once again, only one of the black bins was put out by an unknown hand, and I have left it for them to retrieve it. The other three are now extremely full, but luckily they're frozen at the moment - the sun never reaches the bin area at this time of year

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Small amount of shopping done

Sainsbury's was well busy; car park rammed, I had to get a trolley from the car park corrals as there weren't any by the doors, not many scan-as-you-go handsets left, and they had to switch a bunch of self-checkouts to scan-as-you-go checkout mode

I suppose it'll only get worse for the next couple of weeks

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Morning all
    Car dropped off, and now I’m on a train back home.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Meanwhile on the 17th of March 2019 I was railing about the idleness of the new neighbours, gifted them a radiator key, as one does, whilst NF was busily letting a lady out of the carpark at the flat, much to the irritation of her "partner", apparently a weasely sort of chap.
    Although he continued to seem rather weasely, we ended up on slightly better terms after he left his key in the back gate one night and I found it and returned it to him. I also wonder whether the reason he was so keen for her not to get her car out that night was that she'd been drinking or getting stoned or something and he thought she might be unfit to drive? I didn't notice her smelling of drink or seeming impaired at all; but they seemed to get along OK after that. Anyway, they finally moved out about a year later so they're somebody else's problem now

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Morning denizens

Another cold but sunny start out there, frost on the usual places, currently -2°C despite the sun, and no better than +2° predicted. The barometers are down a bit more at 1001/1009mB

Today, I think I shall shift assorted smaller odds and sods to the new place, as they can be moved down to the car in manageable portions and my lower back feels OK but like a bit of a break from heavy lifting wouldn't come amiss after yesterday's sofa-building. I assume all this exertion must be at least gradually improving my fitness or limberness or some such, but the scales reckon it's not done a single thing for my weight

Once over there, the primary business of the day will be getting rid of all the Ikea packaging. I still haven't found out where the bins are but this amount of cardboard and plastic would overwhelm their capacity, so I'll cram it into the car and take it to the tip. The tip is about halfway between here and there, but much easier to get to from there, being almost a straight run down the nearby main-ish road, and on the same side of the river which means no bottleneck at the crossing point.

And as it's just over the road from the storage place, I might as well start shifting stuff out of there on the return leg.

But first I shall pop along to Sainsbury's for a few more bits to tide me over as the reduction in freezer stocks continues

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Morning.

Cold. Very cold. 10 deg in here, 8 deg in the kitchen, 4 deg in the leanto.

Sunny.

Blue sky.

Dry.

1009 mBar, 29.796 in Hg, 756.8 Torr, 1466343 psi, (untapped), 69% RH (GDR hair), 60% RH (Lidl, electric).

Friday.

Brrrrrr. Never mind, only another 3 months of this. .

Meanwhile on the 17th of March 2019 I was railing about the idleness of the new neighbours, gifted them a radiator key, as one does, whilst NF was busily letting a lady out of the carpark at the flat, much to the irritation of her "partner", apparently a weasely sort of chap.

The security camera system in the garage died some months ago and I've never bothered fixing it. It'll have to wait coz it's far too cold in there now.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the wan sunshine and perishing cold.

Shopping trip to Wilko's for birdfood succeeded on birdseed but failed miserably on fatballs so I'll make some using the lard that's graced the fridge since Strangelove Mater went into a home.

Some idiot mother****er has filled one of the potholes in the back lane with wood ash, which, in & of itself, is a waste of time, augmented by not taking the nails, screws, & other fixings out so providing an excellent puncture potential for the cars this end of the lane.

I took a magnet down there before lunch & got a flowerpot full. I'll try again a little later.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons soya & linseed toast, blackcurrant jam & marmalade on slices of toast, a red corner yog, 0.91*1.57 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: TWAO, before which there was some nonsense or other about a previous prime minister of little brain and even smaller talent.

The washing frenzy is on hold until the temperature in the salting house rises a fair amount above 0.7 deg. . I've damaged the WM once before because of that.

Thought I'd trying a new installation of Win2k on the printer server box thing: naturally enough it dies during the install. I think the box is toast though it runs win98 ok.

Tea: battered haddock, Xmas pud & custard, very toothsome, 0.91*1.66 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM.

Wheeler Dealers S15 E21 5th gen Ford Bronco, the one with the broken inlet bolts. Bought: $10k, Total: $10,925, Sold:$15k at auction.

Last 15 minutes of "It's a Wonderful Life (1947)".

10 minutes of "Starman (1984)".

Code Breakers on Blaze: Walking through history with Tony Robinson.

The trail of destruction continues.

Turned on the ancient Toshiba Satellite 2100CDS laptop & it booted veeeerrrrrryyyy slowly into window 98.

Worked ok until I tried to read the floppy disk in the A: drive whereupon it all went to pot & now it's in bits.

However, the HD is readable so I'll back that up in case the cat photos are irreplaceable (since the cat is no longer extant) and there's some ancient software on there that earned me about £15k or so back in the long ago.

Had to search the interweb to find out how to get the battery out: definitely non obvious.

I'm getting reluctant to touch anything else since everything seems to be going tits up at the moment, starting with that window light shattering the other day..

Maybe I'm cursed.

I see the association football match in that hot place overran yet again, so the Ghosts Xmas ep was bumped.

One is used to this with the Beeb, they loved doing that with STNG and cricket matches and I actually complained a couple of years ago when the commandeered BBC4 for tennis halfway through a Horizon repeat.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 23:20.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    The car earlier was a Volvo Amazon, and the gold hunters were mostly doing OK.

And later, a couple of new episodes of the increasingly misnamed 24 Hours in Police Custody, both covering cases that took a fair bit longer than 24 hours to investigate

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Off to Exeter in the morning to get the car serviced (first time in almost 3 years). Yes, it’s an Alfa, no it hasn’t been to a garage for anything other than a service. Leaving it with them for a week while I go on holiday. They have to replace the aux belt at 4 years old (it’s approaching 5), which they claim involves dropping the engine out.

Anyway, TFBSZ.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea: chicken in red wine sauce with chips and peas. Very nice

Not a lot of stuff in reserve in the freezer now - a couple of soups, and three portions of bol. I need to get on the spag bol and use that up

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    First surprise was that it auto-discovered a solitary analogue channel, which was a CCTV camera looking down at the front door of the block
    Many years ago now but had a wireless CCTV to keep an eye on my neighbour's antics, had fascinating views of the gas tank at the brickworks down the road.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X