• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea has been from Nando's. Tried the "extra hot" sauce this time, which is hot but not as hot as the chicken madras I had last week, or the chilli sauce from the kebab shop

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Brightened up here now

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    It's been a dull and grey afternoon. The wind has gotten up again.

I haven't done anything in the garden.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Can't remember much detail but Elvis appeared in my dream last night. Off now to do one of me toothpaste, I mean footpath, inspections for the council.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Afternoon denizens

Grey sort of day out, and still slightly breezy too. Currently 16°C and maybe making it to 17° later, while the barometers remain bullish, being up to 1015/1023mB

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Morning all

Blue sky with lumps of fluff. No rain forecast. It was a bit breezy earlier this morning but that seems to have eased up. Currently 14 degrees with a high of 18 expected. Barometer up to 1024 mBar.

Need to to a bit of faffing in the front garden today. Whether I actually will do it remains to be seen.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    ^^^ Freeeeeedom! or something. Let's get rid of a king & elect one instead. .

Morning.

Dry.

Wanly sunny.

Cool in here at 17.7 deg, 18.5 deg in the kitchen, 17.5 deg in the leanto, 16 deg in the saltinghouse (which was up to 24 yesterday before I opened all the doors.

1022 mBar, 30.179 in Hg, 766.56 Torr, 14.8228 psi, (up from 1020 last night), 78% RH (GDR hair), 71% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 4th of October 2019 it was rather damp & quite chilly, managing to rain on me during my walk, in a fit of enthusiasm I installed the aerial cable to the bedroom tv (used exactly once a month ago when I was ill) and contemplated installed the satellite feed to same (which never happened needless to relate), while good wishes resounded to WTFH after his op, NF was off to the motorway for some reason, despite it being closed in places, and I watched yet more of S2 of Jeremiah whilst cursing my completist nature.

Shirts & smalls in the WM. (I don't bother separating them any more).

Shirts & smalls out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Cottons including bedlinen in the WM.

Cottons out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the grey gloom.

Lunch: baked wonky spud etc. Some of those wonky spuds really are wonky.

Entertainment: the bits of Dead Ringers I couldn't be arsed with yesterday.

NZ Highway Patrol <click> I think I'm word perfect on these by now. It was the one with camper van driver who had problems with hill starts and the bus driver who was confused by someone indicating right & turning right. Easily done. Apparently it means sommat different in NZ such as "pass me". .

Shirts & cottons that needed it in off the line & roughly iRoned, airing upstairs.

Freecell score: 89%, running average: 86%. Bit better than yesterday though not by much.

Towels & bedding in off the line & airing over the banisters.

Tea: soup etc. Can't be arsed any more.

Entertainment: Sliced Bread waffling on about tyres.

Dixon of Dock Green S21 E2 "Seven for a secret never to be told". (1975).

Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre: these seem quite variable in quality. "Time to Remember (1962)".

There's a film with John Thaw on after it.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 18:05.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Valkyrie (2008) in which Tom Cruise leads (in the lead actor sense, not in terms of the coup's chain of command) the plot to assassinate Hitler in 1944. I chose this because it's been in the queue for ages, probably three years or more, and reading Blitzed reminded me of it. In fact, I started watching it one time, but wasn't in the mood for machinations that evening and abandoned it after a short while to switch to something else instead. Being in the appropriate mood tonight, I thought it was a very good account of the matter, given the usual provisos about the historical accuracy of "based on a true story films", which I've decided to ignore until the next time they're about something I know about, when they'll probably annoy me again

And after that, a rewatch of The Siege (1998) in which the response of the USA to attacks by Islamic terrorists gets out of hand. This one's quite prescient, because it involves the FBI (aka Denzel Washington) stepping up and stopping the US Army and the intelligence services from doing disgraceful and unconstitutional things in the name of "protecting America". In reality, of course, after 9/11 they did exactly the things seen in the film, but mostly outside the USA and in places where they couldn't be seen, and were thus never held to account for them

And then a further episode of S4 of The Wire

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea: rack of ribs (with the honey-based BBQ sauce) and chips

Accompanied by Trucking Hell, where I've finally made it to S8

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Lunch: chip shop leftovers

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Morning all

Cloudy and damp. It was very windy earlier but that seems to have died down. This morning's rain is not forecast to return. Currently 13 degrees with a high of 16 expected. Barometer up to 1019 mBar.

Rental referencing shenanigans ongoing with the vetting company claiming that scraping 12 months of bank data then requesting six months of statements for the same account didn't prove I'd paid my rent on time, so I could I upload 6 months of bank statements?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Darn it. Another neighbour passed away. Must have been in her 50s at most. Will miss the little xmas street parties she had in her front garden.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Morning denizens

Another cloudy start, and a windy day due with a chance of showers. It's 11°C now and only getting to 16°, but the barometers are bouncing back at 1007/1015mB

I awoke to an email from my siblings, who had a meeting yesterday with a property developer who's trying, as so many have in the past, to buy up chunks of the extensive back gardens at our parents' house and those of their neighbours. I'm dubious about the scheme; none of the previous schemes have got off the ground, but now everybody's older, some of those who stood firm in the past seem a bit more inclined to sell, or have died in my parents' case. Anyway, keeping an empty house for maybe two or three years in the vague hope of a bit more money at the end seems foolishly optimistic to me. If his plan has legs, he should find it easy to buy the place off us at the current market price and keep the extra money for himself once it comes to fruition. If he doesn't bite our hand off at that prospect, it says a lot about the plan, I reckon
    There've been various mad schemes around here over the years: one was to demolish Rose Cottage & build various houses/sheltered accomodation/carehome on the land behind it and a similar mad scheme to demolish the house near Brook Place & build houses on the large amount of ground behind.

There was also another mad scheme to build a house next to the canal & the church at the other end of the road after Ken died having claimed squatter's rights on the land behind Llantwit Cottage.

None of them came to anything, mostly due to access problems and/or not crossing the right palms with silver in the approved fashion in this locale.

As in Haycock* the then chairman of the education committee asking someone I met "Do you have anything for me, my boy?" when applied for a teaching post. The something being a nice bung in a brown envelope of course.

*Lord Engine Driver is long dead: he was booted into the HoL by Harold Wilson when said Engine Driver wanted to become an MP.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Yesterday, 15:31.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Morning all
    TFIF, etc.
    CBS on the perambulation earlier, which covered a reasonable 7.65km. Looks like the blue skies may be drifting away as clouds are coming in from the north.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Morning denizens

Another cloudy start, and a windy day due with a chance of showers. It's 11°C now and only getting to 16°, but the barometers are bouncing back at 1007/1015mB

I awoke to an email from my siblings, who had a meeting yesterday with a property developer who's trying, as so many have in the past, to buy up chunks of the extensive back gardens at our parents' house and those of their neighbours. I'm dubious about the scheme; none of the previous schemes have got off the ground, but now everybody's older, some of those who stood firm in the past seem a bit more inclined to sell, or have died in my parents' case. Anyway, keeping an empty house for maybe two or three years in the vague hope of a bit more money at the end seems foolishly optimistic to me. If his plan has legs, he should find it easy to buy the place off us at the current market price and keep the extra money for himself once it comes to fruition. If he doesn't bite our hand off at that prospect, it says a lot about the plan, I reckon

Leave a comment:

Working...
X