• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I see I forgot to do any posting yesterday. You didn't miss much.
    We missed you

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    It's late, and I'm trolleyed

Goodnight

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Received another call from the agent about the gig they were discussing with me yesterday. I now know who the client is. They confirmed they have submitted my CV and expect to hear back by Tuesday as there's a number of roles they're filling, which means lots of CVs going over to the client. They think I'm a great match, which is nice to hear after so many rejections and ghostings for the past few months. They also didn't flinch at the rate I'd quoted which makes me think that, once again, I've undersold myself. Fingers crossed and all that. I am choosing to believe that they wouldn't be this positive if they didn't think they could earn some money out of me, as there's nothing to be gained by stringing me along or wasting the client's time with a duff candidate.

When the rain stopped, I popped over to Sainsburys for some milk and other comestibles. Noticed that sunflower oil in the 'ethnic' section was way cheaper than in the oil aisle, as seems to be usual. It's always worth stopping by the more interesting aisles for ingredients.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    There's been a couple of rumbles of thunder and now it's raining with some enthusiasm.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Afternoon all

Dull and overcast. A bit of a breeze. Damp from this morning's rain and more is on the way this afternoon. Currently 19 degrees with a high of 22 still to come. Barometer at 1010 mBar.

I see I forgot to do any posting yesterday. You didn't miss much.

I did get a call about a gig which sounds very interesting and exciting, and I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Not long to kick-off now. For reasons that were explained to me several weeks ago but which I've forgotten, some of us have to change rooms for tonight, so I have to pack up all my stuff. While the wedding is going on, the hotel staff will move our bags across to the other place, which I gather is in a cottage across the grounds

I reckon getting everybody drunk and expecting them to then find their various ways to places they've never been before is ambitious, but we shall see

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Morning denizens

It's a grey day here in North Yorkshire, with overnight drizzle just petering out. Currently 14°C with an expected high of 17°, with the barometers at 1008/1016mB - though I have no idea whether that's up, down, or steady for hereabouts

Just had a very nice cooked breakfast, and can recommend the local sausages

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Spent hour or two at my lady neighbour's yesterday evening. Nice lady but v frail, never goes out and she's about 5 years younger than me. This morning there was an ambulance outside her house, hope nowt serious.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    I was musing only the other day on the large book on Magnetohydrodynamics that blessed the nonfiction section of Neath Public Library (may it rest in peace) back in the late 1960s.

When I graduated to the adult library I took it out one day & took it back the next. I still wonder at whoever requested that it be purchased for stock. Even more so whence it was disposed of when "they" changed all those lovely old oak shelves for the more modern steel tat.

Morning.

Thursday.

Dry.

Too early to tell if it's sunny or no.

Cool in here at 18.8 deg, 20 deg in the kitchen, 17 deg in the leanto.

1012 mBar, 29.884343 in Hg, 759.06 Torr, 14.6778 psi, (down a millitad since last night), 72% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 9th of November 2019 the weather was inclement, then suckered me into going for a walk by clearing up until the halfway point whereupon the deluge returned.

Could have done without waking at 05:55 this morning, even reading the current book failed to return me to the land of nod. Ho hum.

It rained a little.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked. It rained but not enough to require putting up the umbrella.

Lunch: there was.

Entertainment: Sledge Hammer S2 (continued).

Finished "The spy who came in from the cold". It didn't end well.

Tea: soup etc.

Entertainment: The remainder of Sledge Hammer S2. Off to Oxfam with it.

Continued with the book about the Orange Moron, and started with "The looking glass war". I must have seen the film at some stage, though I have no recollection of reading the book previously.

Still looking for "A small town in Germany". I may have to order it.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Yesterday, 22:17.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Morning all
    Overcast and warm here.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    We weren't on the Gin Terrace after all, for reasons of occasional light drizzle and more people than would fit; I think that was something originally suggested many months ago which was, when the time came, never going to work. So instead we were in a room inside the mansion with bookcases and a bar obstructing access to some of the bookcases. I think that's probably the only circumstance in which I'd object to the presence of a bar

Within minutes of arriving I'd informed both my nieces (the one getting married and her younger sister) that in the 1970s, Bedford Library had the same edition of Solzhenitsyn's August 1914 as was displayed on a shelf about nine or ten feet up on the wall opposite the bar. I've never read it, I just recognised the spine of the dust jacket and the town library was the last place I remembered seeing it

My cousins from New Zealand, stars of many Zoom calls in the days when people took the ongoing pandemic seriously, are here!

Anyway, I've got to be up at a reasonable time tomorrow so I can pass judgment on the full English breakfast. Places like this usually have good sausages, so I'm looking forward to it

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Made it! Very nice place, spread around a country estate

Now to find the Gin Terrace, where we are gathering for drinks and nibbles

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Made it to Greggs NW of Doncaster and had a nice steak bake. There’s a little lane off the A1 with an entrance and exit to the car park, where a magpie is taking advantage of the lack of traffic along there to grab bits of what looks like Burger King leftovers somebody’s chucked away there

Back to the A1 for me though, and about an hour more to drive

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    ^Not that familar with M1, more often M25/M4/M40 but motorways usually involve long queques in my experience. 3 1/2 hr drive to my sister's has taken over 5 hours sometimes.
    The M25 is very much a special case in my experience! Anyway, once I get to Sheffield it's the M1 or the A1/A1(M) for most of the way, and they're about as bad as each other - if anything, the A1 is a bit worse

Time for me to go!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    ^Not that familar with M1, more often M25/M4/M40 but motorways usually involve long queques in my experience. 3 1/2 hr drive to my sister's has taken over 5 hours sometimes.

Too much on again this week, ll3 walk Mon, old fart art on Tuesday followed by ll3 walk again to look for purse she lost then karaoke in evening, U3A old fart meeting today, local history group meet tomorrow, ll1 walk Friday. Gordon Bennet.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 4 September 2024, 10:41.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X