• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    The lurgy inflicted a couple of spells of weariness on me during the afternoon, but only briefly. Other than those, I've been feeling a bit better

So I decided to try exerting myself a little, and walked round to get kebab and chips for tea. Very nice as usual

I'm glad the kebab shop isn't very far away though, as I was feeling the effects of the exertion by the time I got back

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    ^^^ I suppose you've checked everything for hidden pound notes? I found £500 hidden in various places before next door was cleared.
    Good point! I think my sister was aware of such stashes as there were, but it can't hurt to do a final check

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Morning denizens

Patch cloud and sunny spells out, overall more scenic than gloomy. A bit milder again too: 16°C with an expected high of 19°, with the barometers up a touch to 1017/1025mB

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Morning all

Sunny again, occasional wisps of fluff here and there. Currently 15 degrees with a high of 19. Barometer up a smidge to 1027 mBar.

A chap came to look at the guttering and cleared a load of junk out of it. Also mentioned there were some minor issues that needed fixing, brackets and such, which my landlady and the lad upstairs need to agree to between them.

Popped to the farmers' market. Usual suspects there. Picked up some tomatoes and goats cheese. Also got some black pudding and tomato sausages from the Grasmere butcher stall. They are very tasty and I have become a bit addicted to them.

Lovely morning out there, perfect temperature, so I have come back indoors.
    Last edited by ladymuck; Today, 09:50.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Morning all
    CBS, etc.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    ^^^ I suppose you've checked everything for hidden pound notes? I found £500 hidden in various places before next door was cleared.

Morning.

Grey.

Wanly sunny.

Dry.

NotSoCold in here at 15.4 deg, 16 deg in the kitchen, 13.5 deg in the leanto.

1025 mBar, 30.268 in Hg, 768.8 Torr, 14.866 psi, (unchanged), 71% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 13th of November 2019 WTFH was off to the dentist, I was in with the hoi polloi in the old Library computer room expecting it to be raining by the time I left, whereas NF was watching "Edge of Darkness (BBC version)".
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 07:53.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tonight's major motion picture was War for the Planet of the Apes (2017) which is, of course, excellent. And with the trilogy rewatched, I am able to embark upon the new one, sure in the knowledge that the back story is clear in my memory

And then S6E2 of The Wire

Still not feeling 100%, so I'm not sure I'll be heading south tomorrow. It occurred to me that the new owners have accepted our offer to leave the conservatory furniture for them, so any bits I want can be stored in the conservatory as the clearance people shouldn't be going in there anyway. That makes getting stuff slightly less urgent, though I still need to pop down and get some of it and put the rest in there. It means it's less of a rush job though, so I'll probably go down either Sunday or Monday - they won't start clearing stuff until Monday afternoon anyway

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Already billed for 4hr tomorrow, if I turn on my PC at 7am and take the dog out, the it’s off by 11am.

TFBSZ.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I have had to report two maintenance issues to my landlady in recent weeks: overflowing guttering and the growing crack in the garden wall.

The former is going to be resolved tomorrow morning, 9.30 am.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Lots of The Repair Shop has been watched this evening. And the latest Only Connect.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea: pork cutlet with chips and beans. Very nice too

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

The initial (area) bit of a post code determined the major postal centre the post was sent to - so Bedford post would be centrally sent to Milton Keynes from where it was sent to the local sorting offices.

Nowadays a number of those centres have been merged, so the central hub for the North East is now a single one on Tyneside where previously there were ones in Boro (TS), Darlo (DL), Durham (DH), Sunderland (SR) and Newcastle (NE).
    That's the theory but even by 1979, post for Bedford was being routed directly there. I know because I worked the Christmas post that year and spent my afternoons in a warm hut on the station platform, popping out once an hour to load or unload mailbags from the trains on the Midland mainline

There's probably a hub over in MK now though.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Current project is with a telecom firm. When you register a number nowadays you also need to provide the location so you can be using a London number in Glasgow (say). What I suspect would happen is that you would get routed to London's emergency centres who then has to transfer the details to Glasgow
    When I had my BT digital line, they regularly nagged for me to make sure the registered address was up to date.

Felt rather pointless as I could install the Cloud Voice app on my phone and use that to call from anywhere...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Yes, I thought that was odd when we moved there in 1971 - Milton Keynes had barely even been started by then, still consisting mostly of a bunch of villages and a few very small towns
    The initial (area) bit of a post code determined the major postal centre the post was sent to - so Bedford post would be centrally sent to Milton Keynes from where it was sent to the local sorting offices.

Nowadays a number of those centres have been merged, so the central hub for the North East is now a single one on Tyneside where previously there were ones in Boro (TS), Darlo (DL), Durham (DH), Sunderland (SR) and Newcastle (NE).

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Current project is with a telecom firm. When you register a number nowadays you also need to provide the location so you can be using a London number in Glasgow (say). What I suspect would happen is that you would get routed to London's emergency centres who then has to transfer the details to Glasgow
    My conclusion was always use your mobile when calling 999 as that uses the mast to work out where to route the call.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X