• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Been giving lot of my money to my sons recently to avoid the **** Labour tax raid on Oct 31st.

Unconnected, I'm surprised most of Russia is on Google Street.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Congratulations feels like the wrong thing to say, considering the events that had to take place for this to be a possibility. However, being mortgage free is definitely cause for celebration.
    Cheers! Yes, it seems a bit odd to be pleased about it. Then again, our Mum was always absolutely determined that we would get it, which was one reason she and Dad wouldn't consider the idea of going into a home. They'd started with nothing (they initially lived in a spare room in her cousin's house, which is where my brother was born) and they wanted us to get the fruits of their labours, and she very specifically wanted me to be able to clear my mortgage - she said so about a month before she died

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Lunch: a bowl of my sister's turkey soup (last Christmas's leftovers), as she was kind enough to give me some to bring home yesterday, with a bit of brown bread. Lovely soup that

I was halfway through it when the money arrived! So I immediately got on the phone to the bank to set up CHAPS payments. This turned out to take about forty minutes due to the repeated checks that details were correct, explanations of various scams followed by probing questions to make sure I hadn't fallen for one, and all that. But given the sums involved, I was just glad they were being so thorough

Not sure it'll come through in time for me to clear my mortgage today, so I'll clear it tomorrow instead

And then back to the microwave to reheat what remained of the soup

Congratulations feels like the wrong thing to say, considering the events that had to take place for this to be a possibility. However, being mortgage free is definitely cause for celebration.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Lunch: a bowl of my sister's turkey soup (last Christmas's leftovers), as she was kind enough to give me some to bring home yesterday, with a bit of brown bread. Lovely soup that

I was halfway through it when the money arrived! So I immediately got on the phone to the bank to set up CHAPS payments. This turned out to take about forty minutes due to the repeated checks that details were correct, explanations of various scams followed by probing questions to make sure I hadn't fallen for one, and all that. But given the sums involved, I was just glad they were being so thorough

Not sure it'll come through in time for me to clear my mortgage today, so I'll clear it tomorrow instead

And then back to the microwave to reheat what remained of the soup

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Morning all

Damp, dull, and overcast. Currently 12 degrees with a high of 16 expected. Rained earlier this morning and more rain due late afternoon and into the evening. Barometer down to 1002 mBar.

Trying to reinstate my account at Heathrow. The person who needs to raise a ticket is on holiday until Monday.

Job hunting continues. Am considering a move to the dark side if a contract gig doesn't present itself.
    Got to say I'm thinking the same - the market really isn't good and a nice consultancy where I can do the bits I enjoy feels like a sensible move for the next few years..

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    House sale has completed!

Just waiting for the money to arrive now

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Morning all

Damp, dull, and overcast. Currently 12 degrees with a high of 16 expected. Rained earlier this morning and more rain due late afternoon and into the evening. Barometer down to 1002 mBar.

Trying to reinstate my account at Heathrow. The person who needs to raise a ticket is on holiday until Monday.

Job hunting continues. Am considering a move to the dark side if a contract gig doesn't present itself.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Apple Watch has arrived!

It can wait until later to be set up, as it's too early to be messing around with things

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Morning denizens

It's a grey day out, though with a kind of stripy effect where hints of the blue sky behind can be seen hither and yon. It's getting to autumnal temperatures too, being only 10°C now with a brief spell at 15° this afternoon - though the start of said spell coincides with a 45-55% chance of rain, continuing into the evening. The barometers are down a touch more at 988/996mB

Today seems to be a day of things coming to one who waits, as not only am I waiting for the solicitor to confirm completion, I've also been notified that my Apple Watch Series 10 has shipped and will be arriving later

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Morning.

Wednesday.

Awake at 06:03.

Deja vu all over again.

Grey.

Dark.

Dank.

Sunless.

Spotting with rain.

Chilly in here at 16.9 deg, 17.5 deg in the kitchen, 15 in the leanto.

995.5 mBar, 29.397 in Hg, 746.7 Torr, 14.438 psi, (down from 1001 last night), 75% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 16th of November 2019 NF wasn't watching Bab5 since it was a friday & friday is Film Night apparently, LM was dusting things, and I wasn't dusting things since things on top of things would need to be moved before the dusting could take place, thusly it never happened, whereas xogg was putting forward the concept of PAYG tv rather than a licence fee. Be careful what you wish for. .
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 07:57.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Well I know it's not the sanest thing to do in the current market but I've told the people where I was did 4 weeks work that I'm not going back.

It's a fixed price project where the (Indian) consultancy hasn't grasped the scale of the work they need to do so it's safer to keep as far away from it as possible.
    Sounds sensible. The fundamental problem with the project I wasted the last eighteen months or so on was that higher levels of management either didn't or wouldn't grasp the scale etc. and it was a sodding nightmare, even if we did come as near as dammit to pulling it off before an unexpected change in circumstances rendered the whole thing redundant

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Deja Vu (2006) in which ATF agent Denzel Washington investigates a bombing in New Orleans and gets drawn into a secret government temporal research project. It's pretty good; maybe not Friday night material, but solid entertainment for midweek

And then a couple more episodes of S5 of The Wire

Better get to sleep now in case the solicitor calls in the morning seeking instructions on some last-minute crisis

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Phew. Finally got the accounts and CT filed. Complexity out of all proportion to size of company.

Nice loony lady 1 phoned me, she wasn't at old fart art this morning and couldn't get her on landline or mobile, was worried she'd done a loony lady 2 and had a heart attack or summit. Turned out she went to see a friend and forgot to take her mobile.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    +1 like for eek’s post.
    I’m off to a property half an our south of here tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Well I know it's not the sanest thing to do in the current market but I've told the people where I was did 4 weeks work that I'm not going back.

It's a fixed price project where the (Indian) consultancy hasn't grasped the scale of the work they need to do so it's safer to keep as far away from it as possible.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I didn't have any lunch today as I was going to have it when I got back, but it was already teatime by then

So a nice big tea was called for: chicken jalfrezi with rice and naan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X