• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bad news - IR35

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bad news - IR35"

Collapse

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    (With interest)
    You beat me to it. The devil is in what HMRC do not say.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    I suspect this is carefully worded as I presume they will have to pay the back taxes.
    (With interest)

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Do you have references?
    I could set you up at my new agency, SThreePointFive, providing you like gladiators and have some experience bleeding radiators.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied
    “Customers will not have to pay penalties for inaccuracies relating to the off-payroll working rules in the first 12 months unless there is evidence of deliberate non-compliance.”

I suspect this is carefully worded as I presume they will have to pay the back taxes.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    At least you understand IR35 and SoW contracts
    So someone like me should consider doing IR35 consultancy on a SOW to a number of clients. Now there is an idea......

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Definitely. But have you considered ever working as an agent? I have loads of contacts - I'm sure I could get you in somewhere... for fee of course.
    Do you have references?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Have I picked a bad time to start contracting?
    Definitely. But have you considered ever working as an agent? I have loads of contacts - I'm sure I could get you in somewhere... for fee of course.

Leave a comment:

• SouWester
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    it means we will see large number of retrospective tax enquiries after one year.
    No the 12 months is a 'promise' to go easy on incorrect status determinations made in the first 12 months. Cold comfort when most of us have been blanket-banned.

They've made no promises about retro that mean anything even if you were to trust them to keep their word.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    it means we will see large number of retrospective tax enquiries after one year.

Leave a comment:

• SouWester
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Oh, and you can take the 12-month blurb with a wagon-load of salt too.
    ...is the most disingenuous, mileading part of the whole sorry mess.

They promise to get easy on all the blanket-banners? Geez thanks guys you rock.

Meanwhile blanket-banners don't trust HMRC any more than we do, which is why they are blanket-banners.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Just change your business model to target small company clients, you'll be fine.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    In a word - probably...

At least you understand IR35 and SoW contracts

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Aside from a comparative lack of contract roles available right now, in a month or two they will pick up, albeit with 99% being Inside IR35.

For those starting Now, those people won't have any comparative measure of what it Was like. April / May will be their introductory baseline.

Inside, Tax Paid, No further interest from HMRC.

I started in the year IR35 was introduced. My baseline. Although I was aware of others around me bemoaning the Brave New World, for me I knew no better. And got on with it.

Just to offer of an alternate point of view...

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    In other news, the sun will come up tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X