• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Budget Cancelled

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Budget Cancelled"

Collapse

• simes
    replied
    It's not unheard of.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by pjt View Post
    Does this have any implications on the planned IR35 changes?
    I understood that these can only be implemented if a budget containing the proposals is passed, which seems to be the general opinion here. However, NLUK has a different opinion.
    Last edited by JohntheBike; 28 October 2019, 10:15.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Labour sees there is avery unequal society. And wants to do something to make things a bit fairer.
    meaning that instead of people aspiring to achieve things and raising their game accordingly, they'd rather drag successful go getters down to their level and pick their pockets.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    This is good news, the reforms will be wither scrapped or moved back a few years. No budget means they can't push legislation through in time.
    I'm not sure this is correct, but I must admit these are very confusing times.

As yet there has not been any official or even semi-official communication to indicate that the IR35 reforms will be delayed.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    This is good news, the reforms will be wither scrapped or moved back a few years. No budget means they can't push legislation through in time.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Labour sees there is avery unequal society. And wants to do something to make things a bit fairer.
    ... but unfortunately will make things far worse because they simply don't understand how things work.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post
    We'll be lucky. Labour sees dividends as unearned income for the rich made on the back of the workers. Prime target for "fairness" taxes

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Acme Thunderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    as well as making dividend tax rates broadly similar to income tax.
    We'll be lucky. Labour sees dividends as unearned income for the rich made on the back of the workers. Prime target for "fairness" taxes

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    I think the Banks are doing the thing they do on the back of every setback they encounter and they bring in a knee jerk reaction to reduce costs and as soon as one of them do it the rest will follow. Happened in 2008. If legislation doesn't happen it might accelerate them realising project delivery is being hit and to go back on the idea but I can't see the April 2020 changes not happening now.

That said a lot of other clients are only just thinking about it so might yet be helpful to us.

I can't see a Labour government reversing any changes but I could see it, essentially, aligning tax and employment laws and giving some employee rights to temporary workers.
    as well as making dividend tax rates broadly similar to income tax.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I think the Banks are doing the thing they do on the back of every setback they encounter and they bring in a knee jerk reaction to reduce costs and as soon as one of them do it the rest will follow. Happened in 2008. If legislation doesn't happen it might accelerate them realising project delivery is being hit and to go back on the idea but I can't see the April 2020 changes not happening now.

That said a lot of other clients are only just thinking about it so might yet be helpful to us.

I can't see a Labour government reversing any changes but I could see it, essentially, aligning tax and employment laws and giving some employee rights to temporary workers.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
    Hmmmmm - after a little digging it appears that the private sector off-payroll rules are in the draft legislation planned for the Finance Bill following the 2019 budget, which has now been cancelled. I've had a quick trawl through the 2018 Finance Act and can see sections covering the loan charge rules but nothing talking about off-payroll working, or similar phrases.

The draft legislation was published on 11 July 2019.

So unless I'm missing something (and it certainly wouldn't be the first time!) further enabling legislation is required, which may or may not be passed in time for the new rules to come into force in April 2020.
    you are correct.... Not often Webberg gets it wrong, but in this case he did.
    It needs a budget, and a finance bill.
    Could the current government get a finance bill passed? I've been told that even with his lack of majority that a finance bill will likely pass as without it very few taxes can be collected from April 6th. Although I'd not rule anything out right now.

Leave a comment:

• tenten
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    True. I can't think of any party who would be willing to overturn it. There isn't any party I actually want to give my vote to but I also refuse to not vote, a bit of a dilemma. Such a shame that you can't register a 'none of the above' type vote.
    Challenging IR35 was at least on the agenda at the Lib Dems Autumn conference: YouTube

The SNP have in the past spoken out against it but I don't know they still hold that position as a party. My own SNP MP certainly does.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    True. As no party can change it. HMRC are in charge and get what they want.
    True. I can't think of any party who would be willing to overturn it. There isn't any party I actually want to give my vote to but I also refuse to not vote, a bit of a dilemma. Such a shame that you can't register a 'none of the above' type vote.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
    Likewise. They've most certainly lost our vote.

No party will change what's happening with IR35.
    True. As no party can change it. HMRC are in charge and get what they want.

Leave a comment:

• ShandyDrinker
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Me neither. Nor my missus.
    Likewise. They've most certainly lost our vote.

No party will change what's happening with IR35.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X