• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: HMRC dirt tricks

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HMRC dirt tricks"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I can end it...
    No. I can end it.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Can we please - please - please stop the name calling and playground antics.

It matters not who "started it".

It matters not who has skill in whatever archaic or new computer whatever (some of us here can barely turn them on).

What matters is what we think about the future.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    hopefully.

I think the lesson must be that we all have our distinctive expertise and the fact that one doesn't know what another might should in no way denigrate the expertise of the other.
    Welcome to Internet forums grandad.
    You've never visited mumsnet have you?

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I can end it...
    hopefully.

I think the lesson must be that we all have our distinctive expertise and the fact that one doesn't know what another might should in no way denigrate the expertise of the other.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I can end it...

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by webberg View Post
    Really?

Do we have to do all of this again on yet another thread, spoiling it for everybody?

Can we not ALL grow up and leave playground jibes where they belong - in General?
    I didn't start it!

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    I knew that but I didn't know that you were old enough to know that.

I was using Wordstar in the 80s. It was a hard thing to give it......
    My word, yes. A name from the past. Completely forgot that program. Think I had cause to use it also in the 80s, and I think then Word Perfect(?) might have been a follow up before the world went Word.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    well, given that I wrote software in the 80's which is embedded in commercially available mainframe software, your claim that I know nothing about IBM mainframes is way off the mark. etc
    Really?

Do we have to do all of this again on yet another thread, spoiling it for everybody?

Can we not ALL grow up and leave playground jibes where they belong - in General?

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    guys, JtB supports some heritage COBOL application, running on a mainframe system he has no real understanding of.
    microcomputers will be difficult for him.

well, given that I wrote software in the 80's which is embedded in commercially available mainframe software, your claim that I know nothing about IBM mainframes is way off the mark. I also was involved in writing software in Assembler for an in house Network data base, not much different from Total and Image (if you know what they are!) Additionally, I would claim to be well informed about the HP3000 platform, since I've supported applications on that technology since 1986 and I rarely wrote any COBOL programs on that platform.

Don't forget that I'd had many years of IT experience before PC's were even invented. According to IBM's claim, I worked on a model of the World's first commercially successful computer, when more than 50% of the World's computers were of this model - IBM1401.

I was writing assembler programs when many on here were floating around in a sac.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    So old dogs can learn new tricks!
    absolutely! I've always said that barely a week goes by without my learning something new!

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    guys, JtB supports some heritage COBOL application, running on a mainframe system he has no real understanding of.
    microcomputers will be difficult for him.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Kind of funny but starting and ending commands in text editors existed back in the MS DOS days of Wordstar and MS Word 2.x so technically he leaning tricks from the 1980s
    I knew that but I didn't know that you were old enough to know that.

I was using Wordstar in the 80s. It was a hard thing to give it up and move to Word, I held out until 93 or something. I actually still had it around and pulled it up a couple years ago to look at it and couldn't figure out how I was ever able to do anything in it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Kind of funny but starting and ending commands in text editors existed back in the MS DOS days of Wordstar and MS Word 2.x so technically he leaning tricks from the 1980s

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    ok, thanks, got it!

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
    This is not quite right. The draft Finance Bill is not before Parliament. It is a draft for public consultation. It will first go before Parliament when it is an actual Finance Bill.
    Yurp. Who knows when the next budget will be? Possibly Oct or Nov. May then take 3mo or so to work through the Parliamentary process. As of now, it's just a draft for consultation, not before Parliament.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X