• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Decision Tool :)"

Collapse

• fidot
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    or is found to have not completed the form accurately.
    ... where accurately means "leading to an IR35 caught status"

Leave a comment:

• RonBW
    replied
    Originally posted by NORTHMAN View Post
    Currently sitting on tenterhooks waiting for the end client to run the tool and tell us the result. Should be interesting.
    Rather than sitting on tenterhooks, why not sit with the client and advise them?

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Currently sitting on tenterhooks waiting for the end client to run the tool and tell us the result. Should be interesting.
    DWP Longbenton by any chance...

Leave a comment:

• NORTHMAN
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
    So that blows for the contractor consultancies around Government Digital Services work around (e.g Equal Experts, kainos, engine group ...). Where IT contractors brought their own kit laptops mini transputers BYOD into the UK Home Office, Cabinet Office, Business International, etc ... at least when I was around 2013 and 2014.
    Why are you saying that? I'd say those contracts were fairly square with regards to IR35...

Leave a comment:

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    And I'm with WiB. Anything else is so open to interpretation is worthless.
    So that blows for the contractor consultancies around Government Digital Services work around (e.g Equal Experts, kainos, engine group ...). Where IT contractors brought their own kit laptops mini transputers BYOD into the UK Home Office, Cabinet Office, Business International, etc ... at least when I was around 2013 and 2014.

Leave a comment:

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    It's written in Scala, and uses the Play! as the MVC framework.

Interestingly, there are lots of public sector contracts available if you are any good (or not, seemingly) at Scala. All based in places with large HMRC offices. Make of that what you will.

That's the way we read that on the team I'm part of today as well. I certainly have a clause to that effect in my contract.

Agree 100%

I cannot see the tool being ready on time. By on time, I mean with enough time before April 6th to allow thousands of PS contracts to be put through it.

Also, the spreadsheet's filename is 1.0.0-FINAL.xlsx, but I'll be you a pound to a penny there is a 1.0.1-BETA.xlsx knocking around on someone's shared drive over at HMRC.
    Yes

Assuming you have SBT and Scala all set up on your workstation, and you are developer, then you should be able to execute at the command line,

Code:
    > sbt clean
    and then execute

Code:
    > sbt build 

> sbt run
    There you go.

Leave a comment:

• koalah
    replied
    I was using it on a totally different computer and browser to when I've done it before, so not sure why that's an issue. Clearly it's not been QA'd properly!
    Can't get it working on Chrome even after clearing the browser cache, but it does work on Edge and Safari.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Clear your browser cache and start again....
    One wonders how many calls HMRC have had

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by koalah View Post
    Did the tool on Thursday and all was okay for being outside, even saying no to substitutes. Saved the results. Now just tried to do it again so that I can print it as end client and agency have asked to see my answers so they can proceed with extending contract and all I'm getting from answering the first question (Are you a worker?) is Bad CSRF token found in query String
    Giving that for all three, so I guess the beta is broken already.
    Clear your browser cache and start again....

Leave a comment:

• koalah
    replied
    Did the tool on Thursday and all was okay for being outside, even saying no to substitutes. Saved the results. Now just tried to do it again so that I can print it as end client and agency have asked to see my answers so they can proceed with extending contract and all I'm getting from answering the first question (Are you a worker?) is Bad CSRF token found in query String
    Giving that for all three, so I guess the beta is broken already.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    in short the question is not based on reality.
    Or on case law.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    To me means anything which allows the end client to say no... That could be a chat, it could be an interview. The way I read the question is can I send someone in to do my work without the client complaining about it....
    The problem with that is that the person could do a day or two days work and the client could say we tried them out and they were unsuitable. Now is trying them out a form of "interview"? Well there are posts that randomly appear here with people saying the client wants their first day or so to be an interview.

If they are working on your site or at home, and the client is aware that this person is doing all or part of the work for you, then they are less likely to say "No" if you aren't breaching NDAs and security. However they can still say "No" if they want to as they are paying for the service.

Oh and when I worked for consultancies you were interviewed for every project you were put on, so in short the question is not based on reality.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    What do they mean by interview?

Does it mean a chat?
    To me means anything which allows the end client to say no... That could be a chat, it could be an interview. The way I read the question is can I send someone in to do my work without the client complaining about it....

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    What do they mean by interview?

Does it mean a chat?
    It is not unreasonable for the client to assure themselves that the proposed subbie is capable of doing the work to the same standard. They can do that by trusting PwC to send in someone capable ( ) or they have a full interview, or anything in between. Exactly how they assure themselves is up to them. Meaning you can't make it a binary question...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X