• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Umbrella companies using growth share schemes"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I think we'll call it a day there. I'll update the OP's first post to make it clear.

Tl;DR Growth share schemes a bad thing, don't get involved

Leave a comment:

• piebaps
    replied
    A new member who signed up yesterday.
    A new "wheeze" for improving take-home to 71% in an example which was later edited out (thanks NAT).
    No details of the offering company either.

Can anyone else smell bulltulip?

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    By the way, and maybe it's just my perception, but you seem to be implying that people should have an open mind about this arrangement.

If that's the case, then I couldn't disagree more.

It doesn't matter what the underlying mechanism is, if the net result is not paying full PAYE tax/nics on earned income then it will end in tears.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by Isuvu View Post
    There are many who are new to IR35, and contracting so no, this isn’t naive, it’s about being informed.. as you lot on this board are so in the know I find it quite Surprising that none of you have come across this plan, scheme, option either! ������������*♀️

I am merely asking questions, not looking to be attacked.. as I’ve said previously..So calm down dear and wind that uppity neck in ������
    It hasn't cropped up on this forum yet because it's probably still at stage 1 (the honeymoon period).
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2775153

Promoters have come up with all manner of devices over the years. I'm not aware of a single one that has succeeded, which is why we urge people to avoid like the plague.

Leave a comment:

• Isuvu
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Not quite. But it is highly misleading.

Growth Share plans attempt to replicate employee share plans (restricted to listed companies) to unlisted/private held companies. On that basis, they seem not entirely unreasonable. Of course HMRC take a dim view, and there are warnings that such schemes - even where they do replicate employee share plans and really are linked to company growth - will soon be/are being under attack.
    Most sensible reply yet, thank you

Leave a comment:

• Isuvu
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I am fascinated that there's still naive/greedy people out there who believe this stuff works. There must be customers, or there would be no market for this.

Let's be very clear, this is nothing new. Ever since the year dot when income and capital became taxed differently, there has been a desire to convert income into capital gains, and vice versa. It's nothing new and in many cases it's a recognised tax strategy. However, if this is a scheme being marketed to naive/greedy contractors, then just like all the other schemes before, it will result in pain for the client and gain for the scheme promoter who will disappar without trace. Be under no doubt, if anyone is thinking of using this or any scheme that turns wages into something else not fully subject to PAYE then it's going to end badly for you.

Most of us have heard it all before. HMRC have never been better equipped to deal with these outrageous schemes and the gullible/greedy users of them. It's going to end badly.

I hope NAT is soon able to name names for the benefit of everyone out there who doesn't believe in magic beans ot pixies dust solutions to taxation.

Meanwhile, if you really want to convert your income to a capital gain free of tax - I recommend 100% you start investing in an ISA. After you have paid your tax on your wages, naturally. All gains in an ISA are genuinely, tax free.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Since the scheme is basically a sham scheme (solely designed to avoid or evade tax, with no other purpose) it will be an epic fail under GAAR anyway.
    +1

Even if, for whatever reason, HMRC don't GAAR it, they'll get the Govt to retro clobber it.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Growth Share plans attempt to replicate employee share plans (restricted to listed companies) to unlisted/private held companies. On that basis, they seem not entirely unreasonable. Of course HMRC take a dim view, and there are warnings that such schemes - even where they do replicate employee share plans and really are linked to company growth - will soon be/are being under attack.
    Since the scheme is basically a sham scheme (solely designed to avoid or evade tax, with no other purpose) it will be an epic fail under GAAR anyway.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
    Once this part has been completed, the remaining amount is transferred into a Growth Share plan which is a method of employee benefit used by businesses throughout the UK.
    This sentence is basically a lie.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Hi Everyone

I've scoured through the boards and can't find anything specific to this topic, apologies in advance if I have missed anything.

I am looking for information on the use of growth share schemes used by umbrella companies to make use of capital gains allowance to reduce tax liability. I know if something seems to be to good to be true it usually is, but using growth shares is a legitimate practice and I'd like more informed info on how close to the wind this sails, if at all, so any information from those familiar would be welcomed.

Info I have received from the provider is as follows;

The growth share scheme involves paying taxes on 100% of your income and making a full declaration to HMRC through your self-assessment. You have the salary and your employer offers a Growth Share plan as an incentive the proceeds of which incur a CGT liability. There is no loan or advance in play.

The contract of employment is mutually agreed with the Umbrella company and the salary can be set at a level you feel comfortable with, but must be at least £425.00 per week to comply with the minimum wage requirement. PAYE and NI are calculated and deducted from these figures and paid across to HMRC keeping you up to date with all statutory deductions.

Once this part has been completed, the remaining amount is transferred into a Growth Share plan which is a method of employee benefit used by businesses throughout the UK.

Growth Shares allow gains to be taxed as Capital in the hands of participants and are used as a tax efficient alternative to options, this also enables the use of an individuals £12,300.00 annual exemption, and the lower 10% and upper 20% rates of CGT.

• Fully declarable on your tax return
    • The tax treatment is formally accepted and acknowledge by HMRC
    • Complies with IR35
    • More take home pay from your contract

Therefore, an illustration for this would look similar to the below:
    5 Days at £400.00 = £2000.00 Gross
    Salary after deductions = £316.45 (1250L tax code)
    Growth Share payment = £1,117.27
    Total take home pay after all costs and taxes = £1,433.72

Growth Shares allow gains to be taxed as Capital in the hands of participants and are used as a tax efficient alternative to options, this also enables the use of an individuals £12,300.00 annual exemption, and the lower 10% and upper 20% rates of CGT.
    Editing your post after people have responded to specifics in it is a bit off. For continuity and ease of understanding, I restore it here.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Be under no doubt, if anyone is thinking of using this or any scheme that turns wages into something else not fully subject to PAYE then it's going to end badly for you.
    That well and truly hits the nail on the head.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Round and round and round we go.........

I am fascinated that there's still naive/greedy people out there who believe this stuff works. There must be customers, or there would be no market for this.

Let's be very clear, this is nothing new. Ever since the year dot when income and capital became taxed differently, there has been a desire to convert income into capital gains, and vice versa. It's nothing new and in many cases it's a recognised tax strategy. However, if this is a scheme being marketed to naive/greedy contractors, then just like all the other schemes before, it will result in pain for the client and gain for the scheme promoter who will disappar without trace. Be under no doubt, if anyone is thinking of using this or any scheme that turns wages into something else not fully subject to PAYE then it's going to end badly for you.

Most of us have heard it all before. HMRC have never been better equipped to deal with these outrageous schemes and the gullible/greedy users of them. It's going to end badly.

I hope NAT is soon able to name names for the benefit of everyone out there who doesn't believe in magic beans ot pixies dust solutions to taxation.

Meanwhile, if you really want to convert your income to a capital gain free of tax - I recommend 100% you start investing in an ISA. After you have paid your tax on your wages, naturally. All gains in an ISA are genuinely, tax free.

Leave a comment:

• Isuvu
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Earlier you said there were several companies offering it.

So, who is the company that is offering it? If you don't want to name them in public, you can PM me their details and I'll do some digging.
    PM’d

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I am thinking that company offering this has a history of Phoenixing
    Earlier you said there were several companies offering it.

So, who is the company that is offering it? If you don't want to name them in public, you can PM me their details and I'll do some digging.

Leave a comment:

• Isuvu
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    We'd be interested just to get the name of one of them, maybe the one that gave you the information in your first post.

It's highly likely that they are an "umbrella" linked to a business that may have tried running schemes in the past, and it can serve as a useful warning to others.
    I am thinking that company offering this has a history of Phoenixing.. I’m
    Not going to be going this way myself,I operate via a ltd company at the mo and thankful I can for the time being.. but I’d never heard of this approach and currently looking at GAAR and spotlights there is no mention of it.. no doubt there will be in time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X