• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Would Jesus have backed gay marriage?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    It was clearly any sin. otherwise there would of been people who hadn't committed adultery selecting the nearest rock.
    You could play "stoning bingo". "Let's see, I've stolen, cheated and avoided taxes... but that bloke's painting his house on the Sabath... get him"

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    That would mean his view on homosexuality would be that only those who hadn't practised homosexuality themselves were entitled to condemn homosexuals. Which was probably most people.
    It was clearly any sin. otherwise there would of been people who hadn't committed adultery selecting the nearest rock.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    No one here seems to have considered the possibility that Jesus was himself gay. His relationships were much more about men than they were about women (the disciples were all men as was John the baptist). I never read any bits in the bible about women "grasping his manhood" for example.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sirja View Post
    When the mob wanted to stone the woman for adultery Jesus said 'Let he who is without sin cast the first the stone'. I like to think his view on Homosexuality would be similar, in that he would not condemn them and would not want us to condemn them, but rather we should all love one another as we love ourselves. Jesus was all about universal love, it was the later church run by men that got all high and mighty.
    "Hate the sin not the sinner" is the common phrase. Jesus never said the adulteress woman hadn't done anything wrong, only pointed out that everyone else had too.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    When the mob wanted to stone the woman for adultery Jesus said 'Let he who is without sin cast the first the stone'. I like to think his view on Homosexuality would be similar, in that he would not condemn them and would not want us to condemn them, but rather we should all love one another as we love ourselves. Jesus was all about universal love, it was the later church run by men that got all high and mighty.
    That would mean his view on homosexuality would be that only those who hadn't practised homosexuality themselves were entitled to condemn homosexuals. Which was probably most people.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    <cue the virgin Mary lobbing a huge rock>

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Isn't that what the pope does all the time?
    I don't know, I don't follow the pope and I'm not a catholic.

Where does the new testament mention homosexuality as a sin?
    Romans Romans 1:26-27:
    “ For this reason [idolatry] God gave them up to passions of dishonor; for even their females exchanged the natural use for that which is contrary to nature, and likewise also the males, having left the natural use of the female, were inflamed by their lust for one another, males with males, committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the recompense which was fitting for their error.

I have seen plenty of "Scientists" promote unproveable stuff. You are entitled to your personal opinion - but not to force it on others.
    How do you "force an opinion on someone"? If I tell you my opinion have I forced it on you since you since you couldn't avoid hearing it?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    We will never know, but Christianity as a religion claim it is a sin
    It's not as clearcut as you make out, if you look at the handful of verses that reference it.
    and it mentions it many times in the New Testament.
    Neither gay marriage nor gay love is mentioned in the bible, only gay sex.
    Most real Christians believe this also
    I would agree the current dominant view IS still that gay relationships are not right
    and think homosexuals can be "healed".
    Utterly untrue. Some do, not all or most. Some people claim they have been 'healed' but a certain cynicism is probably wise.

Leave a comment:

• sirja
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    As for his views on same-sex relations or any other matter he doesn't speak on, insinuating what he would or would not have done is grounds for very dodgy theology
    Isn't that what the pope does all the time? And how do we know what matters he spoke on or did not speak on? CoE and Catholic bibles are different. Suppose half the dead sea scrolls had not been burned?

Originally posted by Unix View Post
    We will never know, but Christianity as a religion claim it is a sin and it mentions it many times in the New Testament. Most real Christians believe this also and think homosexuals can be "healed". Like all other religions it is utter nonsense based on the writings of iron age idiots.
    Where does the new testament mention homosexuality as a sin? Perhaps you should define what is a real Christian and how it differs from a non-real Christian.

I have seen plenty of "Scientists" promote unproveable stuff. You are entitled to your personal opinion - but not to force it on others.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    We will never know, but Christianity as a religion claim it is a sin and it mentions it many times in the New Testament. Most real Christians believe this also and think homosexuals can be "healed". Like all other religions it is utter nonsense based on the writings of iron age idiots.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Yep, he accepted every other persecuted group so he would have accepted homosexuals....
    He accepted prostitutes and a lady who had been divorced 5 (IIRC) times. Acceptance and endorsement aren't the same thing; loving someone is not the same as condoning their actions.

So Jesus would 100% have loved and accepted gay people. As for his views on same-sex relations or any other matter he doesn't speak on, insinuating what he would or would not have done is grounds for very dodgy theology

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Yeh. He was bumming St Peter, well known fact that. As factual as any of that claptrap anyway.

PS Going past a field of young bulls today and one attempted to mount another. Didn't get a proper response, poor thing, the other just walked out of the way.

PS Sorry d00000gh too many vodkas!
    Last edited by xoggoth; 29 June 2014, 19:03.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    2000 years ago? I doubt it. He was a product of his culture.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Yep, he accepted every other persecuted group so he would have accepted homosexuals....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X