• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The CUKBook is finally here!!!!!"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Can we also make this unsticky as well

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Yes it has, pretty early on back in August.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    time for it to be reposted then....

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Surprised this hasn't been whored out on your shiney new blog yet

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Blimey, we're still getting donations!

Anyone else tried any of the recipes?
    Surprised this hasn't been whored out on your shiney new blog yet

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Blimey, we're still getting donations!

Anyone else tried any of the recipes?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Anyone actually cooked anything (that someone else submitted) yet?
    Since I'm WFH this week I decided to actually cook something different for a change. So last night I did Nor's Lamb and Chorizo stew (P45/46) as it looked like a relatively low prep winter warmer and included chick peas which is something I don't usually ever cook with.

The only addition was that since it already included a red pepper and paprika I figured an extra Chilli wouldn't hurt.

First thoughts were, that's a lot of chorizo It uses 250g which turns out to be a foot long, one inch diameter, sausage. i.e. an entire one of these. I opted for leg of lamb as the fat looked easier to trim. I know fat = flavour but fatty lamb doesn't do it for me. YMMV

One thing I have to say about this recipe is that the timing is great. By that I mean it flows really well. You chop one ingredient and as soon as you're done it's time to add it to the pot, then on to the next. There's no messing about with pushing chopped ingredients to the side of the board to chop the next one.

I wandered into the kitchen just after 17:30 and by six I was going out the door to walk the dog, leaving the pot on a low bubble. Back home soaking wet at seven just in time to add the chick peas, have a shower and start work on the remainder of the bottle of red. Served up at 8 in a bowl with some french bread. I liked the fact that you can see the lamb and chickpeas in the stew but the chorizo blends into the tomato and onion. It means you get some in every bite which is, quite frankly, a winner.

The quantity in the book will serve four as it's comfortingly filling. Mrs P enjoyed and has said she fully expects it to make a reappearance over the coming winter months. In short it's a simple to prepare, one chopping board, one knife, one pot dish that you can leave to do it's own thing and get on with drinking red wine on the sofa in front of the fire.

I know this is a contractor site but in case anyone reading this is on the bench, I think the shopping list came to about £15 @ Waitrose but this was including the leanest looking lamb from the meat counter and the premium chorizo. Both of which could have been substituted for cheaper cuts without compromising the dish and as mentioned, it feeds four.

[*****] Will definitely cook it again.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Just the books.

Dave Lewis.
    Tesco.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That's my favourite from the Chinese. Might have to buy just for that if it's the same?

Actually - does the book include photos of the food? A bit of a tempter might get more buyers (myself included).
    Pretty much, it's is Mr B's recipe. There are some pics of the food and drinks, but not everyone submitted pics only myself and HyperD.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    I cooked the Crispy Shredded Beef the other night and it was delicious (it should be, it was my recipe )

Does that count?
    That's my favourite from the Chinese. Might have to buy just for that if it's the same?

Actually - does the book include photos of the food? A bit of a tempter might get more buyers (myself included).

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    So any reviews for the CUK book?
    I cooked the Crispy Shredded Beef the other night and it was delicious (it should be, it was my recipe )

Does that count?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    So any reviews for the CUK book?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    And another pali

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I've fixed it now with the income from my last loo break...
    It's broken again. Feeling rich?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X