• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Did you vote?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Did you vote?"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    A Conservative spokesman was asked what he thought of UKIP's success in the local and European elections.

"******* UKIP," he said, "coming around here, stealing our jobs."

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    Sorry just skim read your post. On a hair trigger with those feckwits Speling Bee and Darmstadt around.
    Do one. I haven't posted all weekend, just watching Europe turn into a new fascist playground due to voters being ignorant

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Eh, yes, I was agreeing with that.
    Sorry just skim read your post. On a hair trigger with those feckwits Speling Bee and Darmstadt around.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Zero Liability Euro elections ARE NOT FPTP. They are Proportional representation – closed list

The council elections are FPTP though you vote for 3 different candidates individually.

Anyway in my council UKIP came last or 2nd to last if there were independents.

WE ARE TORY.

Though only because the tory councillors and candidates went door to door and invited everyone to bl**dy public meetings for months to "discuss" local issues. The Labour and Lib Dem local party machines let them down.

I should add I'm biased and if a local councillor solves my minor annoying local issues regardless of party then next time there is an election I vote for them if they are standing, which means often my vote is split amongst parties.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    The Lib-dems used to be the biggest opponents of the FPP system, funnily enough.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Has the system always worked this way where many seats are virtually guaranteed to the same party every time? Or when it was all being set up did this not happen? I'm wondering if it's a flaw built into the system or if the world has moved on and exposed a flaw.

Any history buffs able to answer how and why it all came about?

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Do you think that not voting means that you should forfeit your right to be critical of local and European government, then?
    No, why would it? You can be critical of a product or service without purchasing them, so why should voting within the confines of the existing system be considered an opt out for any criticism of it? If you sold your vote off, and thereby broke any ties with the government, this would be a legitimate question, but that option is not on the table.

Particularly in first past the post systems, vote or don't vote, if all it buys you is the "right" to be critical of a government, it isn't exactly something to be over the moon about, particularly since what you are voting for is a particular package of policies, that are unlikely to actually be implemented as intended (which is a relief, in some cases), even lied about (Lib-dems, anyone?), and which can and sometimes will be undone by future governments, who will blame the previous one for every problem it now faces. Nevermind that if your vote is on the losing side, you are forced to contend with being governed by a group you do not support in the least. Lobbies and pressure groups have far more resources and vested interest in understanding and controlling this process than the average voter.

Not that proportional representation or direct democracy is hugely better, as I don't see why you would have to vote to have the right to be critical of government policies, when you have to abide them and fund them, like it or not.

All that said, I did vote, and I'm hoping we'll see a Tory/UKIP coalition come general election time, for whatever good that will do...

But not for any pretence of it giving me a "right" to then be critical of whomever takes the reins of local councils/the EU.

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    It looks like Croydon illustrates the 'Vote UKIP, get Labour' phenomenon.

Ukip vote helps hand Croydon to Labour | Politics | theguardian.com
    And also highlights a flaw in the current voting system, and furthermore illustrates just how pointless a vote is. Don't vote for one of the big establishment parties? Then you're casting a vote in favour of whichever one you like least.
    Last edited by Zero Liability; 23 May 2014, 23:18.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    So if you don't want to let either the Tories or Labour in, don't vote UKIP. As it happens, I just vote for whoever I like best even if they stand no chance. But plenty of people think differently.
    Some people make it very political. Almost as bad as Eurovision.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    But there will be other areas where people voting UKIP have reduced the labour vote, letting in the tories.
    So if you don't want to let either the Tories or Labour in, don't vote UKIP. As it happens, I just vote for whoever I like best even if they stand no chance. But plenty of people think differently.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied

But there will be other areas where people voting UKIP have reduced the labour vote, letting in the tories.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Conservative & UKIP gain in Slough!

Still labour though, look forward to a council tax rise.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Conservative & UKIP gain in Slough!

Still labour though, look forward to a council tax rise.

UKIP fielded too many candidates in Conservative areas they split the vote.

http://www.slough.gov.uk/council/vot...elections.aspx

normally 3 got 500 ish votes each but they only needed a 1000 to topple the labour or tory candidate.
    Last edited by vetran; 23 May 2014, 23:16.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Is there some kind of document that one can read to find out what the UKIP policies are, or at local level is it down to the individual candidate?
    Here is the official 2014 UKIP local manifesto pdf doc:

http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net...pdf?1397750311

To answer other points raised, UKIP are in favour of fracking, and against excessive home building on green-field sites (preferring brown-field development)

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Even if there was, there would be no reason to suppose that it would have any long-term validity: BBC News - Nigel Farage: 2010 UKIP manifesto was 'drivel'
    You could apply that to any manifesto

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Is there some kind of document that one can read to find out what the UKIP policies are
    Even if there was, there would be no reason to suppose that it would have any long-term validity: BBC News - Nigel Farage: 2010 UKIP manifesto was 'drivel'

Leave a comment:

Working...
X