• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did you vote?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Yes the "proper" Tory got twice as many as me, and an independent Candidate stuck his oar in there too above me.

Still it was an interesting experience being there.
    Do UKIP have any policies that a local councillor can have any influence over?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Compulsory shirts and ties for taxi drivers.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

they can show they are ready for government.

If you look at the lib dems they had teh same problem.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          they can show they are ready for government.

If you look at the lib dems they had teh same problem.
          Not quite - the Lib Dems at least had some policies that people knew what they stood for, and some of those they could influence locally.

I'm kind of hoping that they give the same impression of how ready for government that the BNP did - get a few council seats, then people work out that they only have one policy, that they don't do anything else, anything that they promise when campaigning they either can't or won't deliver, and then they fade into obscurity.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Yes. Basildon is going to leave the European Union.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

At the local level it is all about giving autonomy for the local areas to decide policy themselves, without having it forced on them from above.

Other issues are anti-wind farms, anti-HS2 etc.

Comment

At the local level it is all about giving autonomy for the local areas to decide policy themselves, without having it forced on them from above.

Is there some kind of document that one can read to find out what the UKIP policies are, or at local level is it down to the individual candidate?

Apart from seeing Farage on everything, there wasn't anything round here to see, so I don't know what the policies are apart from being out of the EU and limiting immigration. Since those aren't things that a local councillor could have any influence over, it might explain why they didn't do very well in our area - 8% of the votes cast in the local election (which since the BNP took 2%).

In the general election, 8% voted BNP here and 2% UKIP.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Which amounts to what?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Doesn't matter what if you didn't vote.
                    Doesn't matter what if I did vote too.

Comment

UKIP are against wind farms and HS2? Who knew?

There's been protests about building a couple of turbines near where I live, and protests about HS2 for years being quite close to the route. How many council seats did UKIP get? That's right, none at all.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X