• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "England World Cup Squad"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Have you ever tried to compete non-stop for nine months at the peak of fitness for your sport? I thought not.
    Have you?

It's almost like it's their job... my point was regardless if you're a bit tired then something lime the world cup should be enough to get you excited. It's mental tiredness more than physical which is the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Roy Hodgson reveals England’s 23-strong World Cup excuse list

That excuse list in full:

1.The temperature was too hot
    2.The temperature wasn’t as hot as we’d planned
    3.The hotel was too isolated
    4.The hotel was too central and busy
    5.Inexperience
    6.Too much experience
    7.Homesickness
    8.Media intrusion
    9.Theo Walcott injury
    10.Andros Townsend injury
    11.Kyle Walker injury
    12.No Theo Walcott
    13.Lack of Chris Smalling injury
    14.Influx of premier league foreigners
    15.Too many Premier League games
    16.‘Silly mistakes’ on the pitch
    17.Cheating foreigners robbing our brave boys
    18.WAGs
    19.Theo Walcott wasn’t there
    20.Local food wasn’t right
    21.The Internet
    22.John Terry texting a player’s girlfriend
    23.“I got it wrong”
    Only one John Terry text?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I don't really buy the "they're tired and not trying" argument, or at least I don't want to. Playing for your country is something that the majority of the squad couldn't take for granted - other than Hart and Rooney very few safe spots. In a life filled with money and every material thing you could reasonably wish for, this is one thing you have to earn.
    Have you ever tried to compete non-stop for nine months at the peak of fitness for your sport? I thought not.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Roy Hodgson reveals England’s 23-strong World Cup excuse list

That excuse list in full:

1.The temperature was too hot
    2.The temperature wasn’t as hot as we’d planned
    3.The hotel was too isolated
    4.The hotel was too central and busy
    5.Inexperience
    6.Too much experience
    7.Homesickness
    8.Media intrusion
    9.Theo Walcott injury
    10.Andros Townsend injury
    11.Kyle Walker injury
    12.No Theo Walcott
    13.Lack of Chris Smalling injury
    14.Influx of premier league foreigners
    15.Too many Premier League games
    16.‘Silly mistakes’ on the pitch
    17.Cheating foreigners robbing our brave boys
    18.WAGs
    19.Theo Walcott wasn’t there
    20.Local food wasn’t right
    21.The Internet
    22.John Terry texting a player’s girlfriend
    23.“I got it wrong”

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    That's where we disagree. It's precisely my argument that amongst all the money and fame, playing for your country is the one thing you can't take for granted and really have to strive for, and would care about.

No matter how well paid you are and how skillful, you cannot succeed as a top-level athlete without drive and passion and a competitive nature. That's what got them to the plum £100k/week level in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I don't really buy the "they're tired and not trying" argument, or at least I don't want to. Playing for your country is something that the majority of the squad couldn't take for granted - other than Hart and Rooney very few safe spots. In a life filled with money and every material thing you could reasonably wish for, this is one thing you have to earn.
    Earn yes, care really passionately about (truthfully), unlikely.

The game is about money, all pretences it's a sport disappeared decades ago, they just feed of the fanaticism and tribalism.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    And by June they are all fecked at the end of nine non-stop months racing around the pitch like madmen in "The most exciting league in the world".

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    They do perform to their level actually, it's just that their level is top 12 teams in the world and not top 3 or 4.
    Not sure, there have to be at least 11 great English players who don't look outclassed by league team-mates from far more successful nations. Something clearly isn't right though, but when you consider a league team play together every day in training and every week for real, and that it can take a manager/team months to gel, it's not really a surprise that putting great players together doesn't automatically produce results. Even bringing in one great player to an established team it sometimes doesn't work out; for a team to be great every man has to know what the others will be doing instinctively and there's really no way to do that but spending time together... same as (I think) a band.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    How do you w*nk sh1t?
    Ask SASguru

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I don't know TBH, with a core of Liverpool players (Gerrard, Sterling & Sturridge), a much better back four, a hopefully in form Wayne Rooney and some of the other younguns in the squad I reckon they could put on a half decent show.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Also this is how the world cup will pan out for England

First Game - Win resulting in media frenzy about this year being the 'One'
    Second Game - Lose resulting in a media frenzy about this team being the worst ever
    Third game - do enough to get through the group stages - muted media response
    1st Knockout phase - Win beating <insert average team 3-0> - media frenzy on how this is definetly the year
    2nd Knockout phase - Lose to <insert decent team name here> on penalties after a gutsy 0-0 draw.

There you go!
    WHS. Games to be conducted inside death traps unfinished stadia

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    dont worry Andy Carroll is on the standby list
    I'm actually surprised Hodgson didn't pick him. He is ideal for the boot it up and hope for the best style that he brings to the squad.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    dont worry Andy Carroll is on the standby list

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    That is rubbish there is a lot of talent to choose from

there always has been

the main problem is that rarely do the players perform to the skill levels they show week in week out in the premiership

could be the players, could be the manager

who knows
    They do perform to their level actually, it's just that their level is top 12 teams in the world and not top 3 or 4.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X