• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

England World Cup Squad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    dont worry Andy Carroll is on the standby list
    I'm actually surprised Hodgson didn't pick him. He is ideal for the boot it up and hope for the best style that he brings to the squad.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Also this is how the world cup will pan out for England

First Game - Win resulting in media frenzy about this year being the 'One'
      Second Game - Lose resulting in a media frenzy about this team being the worst ever
      Third game - do enough to get through the group stages - muted media response
      1st Knockout phase - Win beating <insert average team 3-0> - media frenzy on how this is definetly the year
      2nd Knockout phase - Lose to <insert decent team name here> on penalties after a gutsy 0-0 draw.

There you go!
      WHS. Games to be conducted inside death traps unfinished stadia
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I don't know TBH, with a core of Liverpool players (Gerrard, Sterling & Sturridge), a much better back four, a hopefully in form Wayne Rooney and some of the other younguns in the squad I reckon they could put on a half decent show.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          How do you w*nk sh1t?
          Ask SASguru
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            They do perform to their level actually, it's just that their level is top 12 teams in the world and not top 3 or 4.
            Not sure, there have to be at least 11 great English players who don't look outclassed by league team-mates from far more successful nations. Something clearly isn't right though, but when you consider a league team play together every day in training and every week for real, and that it can take a manager/team months to gel, it's not really a surprise that putting great players together doesn't automatically produce results. Even bringing in one great player to an established team it sometimes doesn't work out; for a team to be great every man has to know what the others will be doing instinctively and there's really no way to do that but spending time together... same as (I think) a band.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

And by June they are all fecked at the end of nine non-stop months racing around the pitch like madmen in "The most exciting league in the world".

Comment

I don't really buy the "they're tired and not trying" argument, or at least I don't want to. Playing for your country is something that the majority of the squad couldn't take for granted - other than Hart and Rooney very few safe spots. In a life filled with money and every material thing you could reasonably wish for, this is one thing you have to earn.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I don't really buy the "they're tired and not trying" argument, or at least I don't want to. Playing for your country is something that the majority of the squad couldn't take for granted - other than Hart and Rooney very few safe spots. In a life filled with money and every material thing you could reasonably wish for, this is one thing you have to earn.
                  Earn yes, care really passionately about (truthfully), unlikely.

The game is about money, all pretences it's a sport disappeared decades ago, they just feed of the fanaticism and tribalism.

Comment

That's where we disagree. It's precisely my argument that amongst all the money and fame, playing for your country is the one thing you can't take for granted and really have to strive for, and would care about.

No matter how well paid you are and how skillful, you cannot succeed as a top-level athlete without drive and passion and a competitive nature. That's what got them to the plum £100k/week level in the first place.

Comment

Roy Hodgson reveals England’s 23-strong World Cup excuse list

That excuse list in full:

1.The temperature was too hot
                      2.The temperature wasn’t as hot as we’d planned
                      3.The hotel was too isolated
                      4.The hotel was too central and busy
                      5.Inexperience
                      6.Too much experience
                      7.Homesickness
                      8.Media intrusion
                      9.Theo Walcott injury
                      10.Andros Townsend injury
                      11.Kyle Walker injury