• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Scam Baiters on Secrets of the Scammers - Brilliant!"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I just tell them I run Linux. some still try to go through the windows script which makes me laugh.

If they continue they get the rape alarm down the phone.
    We did warn you not to move next door to MF's bail hostel.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    No matter what they say to do tell them it is not working and can they provide more details.
    The objective is to keep them on the phone for a long as possible.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I just tell them I run Linux. some still try to go through the windows script which makes me laugh.

If they continue they get the rape alarm down the phone.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I missed a trick yesterday. Got a call from a "We're from microsoft" scammer.
    Got one of those yesterday too, although slammed phone down as soon as thick (Chinese?) accent said "it's about your computer". Had same before so added to blocked calls list.

I have all international and no info calls blocked, cut down on cold calls enormously, but some, like that one, fake caller ID to appear to be in the UK. What I can't understand is, if it's so easy, why don't they all do it and using a different number every time?

PS Google "spoof caller id"

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I loved reading the stories on 419eater but they changed the site now... the good ones are in their archive(Welcome to the 419 Eater) but it's now a forum of people scambaiting and I haven't the time.

It could make for an interesting forum holiday though.
    Baiting the baiters? I like it...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I missed a trick yesterday. Got a call from a "We're from microsoft" scammer. First he asks if I understand English - I should have replied no - rather in they style of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxUm-2x-2dM

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I loved reading the stories on 419eater but they changed the site now... the good ones are in their archive(Welcome to the 419 Eater) but it's now a forum of people scambaiting and I haven't the time.

It could make for an interesting forum holiday though.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Baiting

I know what you mean, it would have been fun.

I used to reply to the obvious Nigerian ones with telling them that I was a powerful sorcerer andd that for trying to scam me I was laying a particularly nasty curse on them that would involve various sensitive bits falling off.

Well, it kept me amused.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by alluvial View Post
    What? Scamming or scammer baiting?
    Baiting

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    On now on Channel 4.

Had thought about doing this in the 90s, didn't have the time then, could be a good way of having fun whilst on the bench!
    What? Scamming or scammer baiting?

Leave a comment:

• Scam Baiters on Secrets of the Scammers - Brilliant!

On now on Channel 4.

Had thought about doing this in the 90s, didn't have the time then, could be a good way of having fun whilst on the bench!

Working...
X