• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dr Who was crap

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dr Who was crap"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    No Pond.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by kal View Post
    was ok.. at least the doctor is now no longer a mass murderer and we may see the timelords again, got to appreciate that its main purpose was a tribute to 50 yrs of the doctor.
    I thought the main reason was to create an excuse for more regenerations, just as Dr Who is becoming popular in America again and thus keep the merchandising behemoth on course

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Never watched it, did watch a program about the science of Dr Who with that smiling scientist who used to be in a band. Was fairly good at explaining stuff.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    To be honest each one of the doctors on stage at the 50th tried to steal the limelight. McCoy really is a tedious twat, Colin Baker came across Ok as did Davidson who helped the senile Tom Baker around but without a doubt Tom Baker was the only one with any gravitas to him & every anecdote brilliantly delivered. Matt Smith was pretty meh as well.
    I watched part of that, but I've no interest in luvvie luvfests. I like Dr Who, but I've no interest in the paraphernalia surrounding it. Except the bits that were in Private Eye every now and then about the execs.
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Loved the howl round round round round round on the LA link to that boy band lot.

Technology at its finest finest finest finest finest.

Funniest thing I've seen for years.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    FTFY

For those who missed it - here's the prequels

And here's Davison's take on what the classic doctors were up to.
    To be honest each one of the doctors on stage at the 50th tried to steal the limelight. McCoy really is a tedious twat, Colin Baker came across Ok as did Davidson who helped the senile Tom Baker around but without a doubt Tom Baker was the only one with any gravitas to him & every anecdote brilliantly delivered. Matt Smith was pretty meh as well.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by a half wit View Post
    This Doctor Who is banal, self congratulatory rubbish for people who don't have there heads shoved most of the way up their own arses.
    FTFY

For those who missed it - here's the prequels

And here's Davison's take on what the classic doctors were up to.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I just about stuck it out. The first half they seemed to be trying to make a disasterous attempt at a comedy; it wasn't always that successful but I thought at it's heart Dr Who was meant to be a SciFi drama.

Then it suddenly got all serious, though that didn't really work either, and I'm not at all sure what actually happened - not that I cared all that much. 50 years of Dr Who, you think they might have put a bit of effort into the writing.

Was good to see Tom Baker.

Leave a comment:

• sbakoola
    replied
    This Doctor Who is banal, self congratulatory rubbish for kids and half brains, where is the good semi gothic horror of Tom Baker's Dr Who (thanks Mary Whitehouse for getting rid of it) or the great space opera/drama of Blakes 7 ???

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    First 20 minutes were dire - started to improve mid-way through - and finished very well. Last scene with Tom Baker was great. Thought John Hurt played the part very well.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    ...The idea of a machine of super-destruction with a conscience was used in Hitch Hiker's Guide To the Galaxy (4th book)...
    That's nothing to do with Douglas Adams starting his career as a scriptwriter on Dr Who, I suppose...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Thoroughly enjoyed it despite the flaws (spread out too much, lizzie 1, John Hurt not being grim enough). I thought Billie Piper did better this time than her last return. The idea of a machine of super-destruction with a conscience was used in Hitch Hiker's Guide To the Galaxy (4th book) - but with rather different consequences.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Loved it and am still grinning about it.

Will watch it again today.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I thought it lifted the idea of saving the planet came from Star Trek where they destroyed vulcan back in time, thus enabling completely different story lines.

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    was ok.. at least the doctor is now no longer a mass murderer and we may see the timelords again, got to appreciate that its main purpose was a tribute to 50 yrs of the doctor.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Only just finished watching it (sky+) and tbh I thought it was disappointing after the lead up. I was expecting something much darker and, I don't know.... Epic.

I actually thought the mini-episode with Paul McGann had a better tone and wanted to see more of where that went. This one would have worked better as the second half of a two parter. Blood, death and destruction of the time war in part one, redemption in part two.

Maybe it's just me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X