• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dr Who was crap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only just finished watching it (sky+) and tbh I thought it was disappointing after the lead up. I was expecting something much darker and, I don't know.... Epic.

I actually thought the mini-episode with Paul McGann had a better tone and wanted to see more of where that went. This one would have worked better as the second half of a two parter. Blood, death and destruction of the time war in part one, redemption in part two.

Maybe it's just me.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

was ok.. at least the doctor is now no longer a mass murderer and we may see the timelords again, got to appreciate that its main purpose was a tribute to 50 yrs of the doctor.

Comment

I thought it lifted the idea of saving the planet came from Star Trek where they destroyed vulcan back in time, thus enabling completely different story lines.

Comment

Loved it and am still grinning about it.

Will watch it again today.
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed it despite the flaws (spread out too much, lizzie 1, John Hurt not being grim enough). I thought Billie Piper did better this time than her last return. The idea of a machine of super-destruction with a conscience was used in Hitch Hiker's Guide To the Galaxy (4th book) - but with rather different consequences.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              ...The idea of a machine of super-destruction with a conscience was used in Hitch Hiker's Guide To the Galaxy (4th book)...
              That's nothing to do with Douglas Adams starting his career as a scriptwriter on Dr Who, I suppose...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

First 20 minutes were dire - started to improve mid-way through - and finished very well. Last scene with Tom Baker was great. Thought John Hurt played the part very well.

Comment

This Doctor Who is banal, self congratulatory rubbish for kids and half brains, where is the good semi gothic horror of Tom Baker's Dr Who (thanks Mary Whitehouse for getting rid of it) or the great space opera/drama of Blakes 7 ???

Comment

I just about stuck it out. The first half they seemed to be trying to make a disasterous attempt at a comedy; it wasn't always that successful but I thought at it's heart Dr Who was meant to be a SciFi drama.

Then it suddenly got all serious, though that didn't really work either, and I'm not at all sure what actually happened - not that I cared all that much. 50 years of Dr Who, you think they might have put a bit of effort into the writing.

Was good to see Tom Baker.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by a half wit View Post
                      This Doctor Who is banal, self congratulatory rubbish for people who don't have there heads shoved most of the way up their own arses.
                      FTFY

For those who missed it - here's the prequels

And here's Davison's take on what the classic doctors were up to.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X