• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Hair bags

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hair bags"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I didn't used to wear one. But my cloak of invincibility developed a fault, and I started to wear one occasionally. Fell off, head first onto tarmac and the helmet broke, but skull stayed in tact. Have worn one since.
    There is a new invention to help the exposed traveller, keeping them dry, protected and warm, it's called a car

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Don't wear one then.
    I didn't used to wear one. But my cloak of invincibility developed a fault, and I started to wear one occasionally. Fell off, head first onto tarmac and the helmet broke, but skull stayed in tact. Have worn one since.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Swedes Develop Invisible Bike Helmet

Hövding ? Airbag for cyclists

Looks like a great idea - I hate wearing a helmet.
    Don't wear one then.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    After your many, many years of experience why does it matter?
    After years of snowboarding sans helmet I started wearing one about 5 years ago. It seemed a sensible choice now I have kids, and it also keeps my ears warm.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    and to the other comment about replacing helmets...

But looking at the video this is going to go off in a whole host of situations where direct contact with a helmet won't occur and won't need replacing. You don't replace a helmet after every off, you replace it every time the helmet has been impacted.
    That's true.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Besides the other annoyances in the video, things like "Helmets have always looked the same" - no they haven't!
    "Cars as so over, bikes are the future" (or whatever the quote was). Maybe if you live in the city and never have to transport other people, goods, pets, etc.
    The neck thing does look a bit uncomfortable. Maybe it isn't, who knows. I can't help but feeling that their main concern was messing up their hair.
    I watched the video with the sound off -maybe that's the secret

Messing up hair isn't as shallow as it sounds - if you're cycling to work (or even the pub for the evening) you don't want helmet hair for the rest of the day.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

What's that, you're just one of those bores who has found something new that they like recently and now start lecturing everyone else as if they're an expert? Ah, I see.
    Managed 43 skiing days in the past 12 months 2 days in the last couple of weeks

Compared to the British tourist that's at least four seasons worth.

In any case who's lecturing? My opinion is there for anyone to read, if you don't like it don't read rather than waste the time of day complaint about it.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    But looking at the video this is going to go off in a whole host of situations where direct contact with a helmet won't occur and won't need replacing. You don't replace a helmet after every off, you replace it every time the helmet has been impacted.
    I couldn't comment myself from just looking at a video, but still it has much more appeal than a normal helmet.

I'm not going to say these things well sell like hotcakes because I think the price is a touch much. Currently I don't wear a helmet on bicycle or when skiing.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I think it's a great. I wonder if they'll come up with an algorithm for skiers too. That would be a big plus for me I hate wearing a helmet when skiing for two reasons: I'm inclined to take more risk as my senses are dulled and it stinks.

What's that, you're just one of those bores who has found something new that they like recently and now start lecturing everyone else as if they're an expert? Ah, I see.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    So is a normal helmet. You don't use a normal helmet after an accident, even if you cannot see the crack with your own eyes..
    and to the other comment about replacing helmets...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    bet they bomb with the first one that fires up and breaks someone's neck.

Or doesn't fire.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Nice Idea, but a couple of issues I can think of. One, it looks like a one shot deal..
    So is a normal helmet. You don't use a normal helmet after an accident, even if you cannot see the crack with your own eyes.

I think it's a great. I wonder if they'll come up with an algorithm for skiers too. That would be a big plus for me I hate wearing a helmet when skiing for two reasons: I'm inclined to take more risk as my senses are dulled and it stinks.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    clever idea,

Not liking the video nothing like a bit of gratuitous gender victimism or arrogance.
    Agree - nice idea, horrible video.

One, it looks like a one shot deal. Once it's gone off you have to throw it away and buy a new one.
    Yes, but if you smack your head while wearing a normal helmet it should be replaced (assuming it hasn't shattered to absorb the force anyway). But not as expensive to replace, no.

Finally I don't really agree with them when they say helmets are uncomfortable. Maybe if you bought the cheap £10.99 jobs from Halfords and you'd tried it on for 10 seconds, but if you actually spend the money to buy a good quality helmet then they fit well, are very light and you soon forget your wearing it.
    Yep, never found my helmet to be uncomfortable, and it's just a £20 odd Specialized.

Besides the other annoyances in the video, things like "Helmets have always looked the same" - no they haven't!
    "Cars as so over, bikes are the future" (or whatever the quote was). Maybe if you live in the city and never have to transport other people, goods, pets, etc.
    The neck thing does look a bit uncomfortable. Maybe it isn't, who knows. I can't help but feeling that their main concern was messing up their hair.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Nice Idea, but a couple of issues I can think of. One, it looks like a one shot deal. Once it's gone off you have to throw it away and buy a new one. Two, it looks very bulky round the neck and looks like it would make it harder to turn your head to check behind you when you want to pull out or overtake, or even just see whats behind you at the lights.

Finally I don't really agree with them when they say helmets are uncomfortable. Maybe if you bought the cheap £10.99 jobs from Halfords and you'd tried it on for 10 seconds, but if you actually spend the money to buy a good quality helmet then they fit well, are very light and you soon forget your wearing it.

EDIT: Just read the article as well. $500 a pop? Ouch.
    I imagine they'll get cheaper if they catch on.

Like a lot of people, I wear my helmet with the chin strap far too loose - I can't bear it done up tight. It also makes me far too hot in the summer. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Swedes Develop Invisible Bike Helmet

Hövding ? Airbag for cyclists

Looks like a great idea - I hate wearing a helmet.
    Nice Idea, but a couple of issues I can think of. One, it looks like a one shot deal. Once it's gone off you have to throw it away and buy a new one. Two, it looks very bulky round the neck and looks like it would make it harder to turn your head to check behind you when you want to pull out or overtake, or even just see whats behind you at the lights.

EDIT: Just read the article as well. $500 a pop? Ouch.
    Last edited by DaveB; 8 November 2013, 20:57.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X