• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "FGM - why?? FFS Why?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Ex - Mrs hyperD, is that you? The cold, calculating Cyborg Queen, collective of my hard earned estate?
    Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I work with computers more than people.
    Ex - Mrs hyperD, is that you? The cold, calculating Cyborg Queen, collective of my hard earned estate?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    That is such a lame response that it needs quoting for posterity.
    You are welcome to quote it.

I work with computers more than people.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 7 November 2013, 23:35.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
    Well presumably only a virtual future as Dactylion isn't actually "me".....
    well played my imaginary friend!

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    You have a real future on this board in Pedants corner!
    Well presumably only a virtual future as Dactylion isn't actually "me".....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Sorry I still disagree!

Conversely the objective measure of "too loud" might be perfectly acceptable to a different neighbour.
    You have a real future on this board in Pedants corner!

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Breach of the Peace is normally subjective.

Law:

Noise and Nuisance - Frequently Asked Questions
    Even being too tall can be considered a breech of the peace, according to plod

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Since I've known about it since I was a teen - woman's mags sometimes do have useful information in them - I've done some of my bit already by telling other Western women about it.
    That is such a lame response that it needs quoting for posterity.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Again, why? Why should your private life not be governed in any sense? Where does this basic premise come from that you so boldly state?
    In the absence of any "higher laws" the best statement comes from the US constitution - We hold these things to be self evident ...blah blah (ignore the creator bit) ...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

We may not know why, but we do know what things make us happy, the instincts and needs and desires that nature has given us. It makes sense to go with those - to satisfy our own desires and also to cooperate towards making a decent society that we all want to live in. There is less happiness when a society intrudes too far into our personal lives, as in some dictatorships, overbearing communist and religious states, or when there is too much emphasis on the human rights of individuals to the detriment of others, as in ours.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 7 November 2013, 21:17.

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Its not subjective it is measured using using calibrated noise meters.

Actually getting the council to do this is quite hard.

Law:

Sorry I still disagree!
    You said "too loud for the neighbours" implying that it was the neighbours view of "too loud" that counted.

I accept that both "too loud" and "too loud loud for the neighbours" might be in breach of laws/bylaws etc.

It is perfectly possible that measurement by the equipment you mention would confirm that the music didn't meet the objective criteria of "too loud" (as defined in the laws/bylaws etc) that wouldn't alter the subjective view of the neighbour.
    Conversely the objective measure of "too loud" might be perfectly acceptable to a different neighbour.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Slight amendment there:
    "too loud" is somewhat subjective.
    "too loud for the neighbours" is very subjective.
    Its not subjective it is measured using using calibrated noise meters.

Actually getting the council to do this is quite hard.

Law:

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    It's bad law if it's intruding on personal and private freedoms when they affect nobody else.
    Again, why? Why should your private life not be governed in any sense? Where does this basic premise come from that you so boldly state?

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    You can happily play Music loud in private, when it is too loud for the neighbours you aremay be breaking the some laws, bylaws or contractual terms.
    Slight amendment there:
    "too loud" is somewhat subjective.
    "too loud for the neighbours" is very subjective.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Good points.

I'm asking why/if you feel it is a basic right that you should be able to do whatever you want in private?
    I actually thought you were perhaps coming at this from a personal privacy angle rather than personal freedom - if you listen to the people blathering about PRISM and NSA and Google on the web you'd get the idea that privacy is something that is a fundamental human right, and I don't know where that believe comes from.

As for personal freedom... if you're breaking the law in secret you're still breaking the law. Most people prefer to break the law in private, otherwise they get caught!
    Article 8 of the Yuman rights act. among others.

I suspect Xoggy was talking about legal activities and quasi legal (e.g. BDSM) not chopping up your loved ones, though reading his tales that may be optional.

You can happily play Music loud in private, when it is too loud for the neighbours you are breaking the law.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    if you're breaking the law in secret you're still breaking the law
    It's bad law if it's intruding on personal and private freedoms when they affect nobody else. No more than most things do anyway, just sitting watching TV too much has consequences for NHS expenditure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X