• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I've never wanted a cylindrical computer"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What the hell would be wrong with it if they did?
    a)90%+ of users use the Windows version so of COURSE you prioritise it
    b)Their developers know much more about Windows development than OSX
    Actually, their Mac team know a lot more about OS X development than about Windows. The Mac version isn't just a sideline the Windows chaps knock out on rainy Thursday afternoons. IIRC the Mac Business Unit isn't even based in Redmond - they're down in San Francisco, as they work quite closely with Apple so need to be near Apple HQ.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Hmm, because MS would never prioritise development and performance of the Windows version of it's products over those for other operating systems, would they?
    What the hell would be wrong with it if they did?
    a)90%+ of users use the Windows version so of COURSE you prioritise it
    b)Their developers know much more about Windows development than OSX

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Perhaps now MS Excel will not show the rainbow wheel when opening.
    FWIW I just launched Excel from cold (i.e. not been used since last reboot, so not cached) on my MBA (mid-2011 model, 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB, OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)). I had 24 other applications already running, ranging from simple stuff like Calculator to known resource hogs like Xcode and Eclipse.

Excel started within three or so dock bounces (a second or so) and showed its splash screen for maybe a second, then auto-opened the last spreadsheet viewed, which happened to be SJD's spreadsheet. It then showed me the "Enable macros?" dialog which Microsoft use to cover their arses if I suffer at the hands of a number of terrible technical decisions they made in the early 90s, proving that it was fully up and running. No beachball at any time.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Probably not. The Americans invented the CNC machine and their high tech engineering and manufacturing capabilities are as good as anyone else's. The only reason production of this sort of stuff ever moved offshore in the first place was cost.
    What could possible go wrong.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    all that is missing is the Brabantia logo.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I have the Apple Cube, still got it in fact, PSU knackered though...

It's quite similar to the new Mac Pro in a nothing like it kinda way....

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    My 4-year old £300 PC can open Excel just fine. So can my 5-year old MacBook running Windows8 in a VM.
    Hmm, because MS would never prioritise development and performance of the Windows version of it's products over those for other operating systems, would they?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Noticed it's assembled in the US of A. Could this be the beginning for poor quality productions for Apple?
    Probably not. The Americans invented the CNC machine and their high tech engineering and manufacturing capabilities are as good as anyone else's. The only reason production of this sort of stuff ever moved offshore in the first place was cost.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    My 4-year old £300 PC can open Excel just fine. So can my 5-year old MacBook running Windows8 in a VM.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    I suspect the problem may not be the hardware....
    That's MicroSh1te for you.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    €10,000 - I'll have one. Dual displays, yes sir.

I suspect the problem may not be the hardware....

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    or massively increased automation?

I suspect its a premium product that attracted government grants.
    I just hope they don't do a Boeing.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Noticed it's assembled in the US of A. Could this be the beginning for poor quality productions for Apple?
    or massively increased automation?

I suspect its a premium product that attracted government grants.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    It doesn't do that on my computers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X