• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Let there be light

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Let there be light"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Well he is already drilling holes in the roof and says it doesn't leak... I am attaching the funnel to the coke bottle to collect more light.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What if you make a double-ended one, I wonder - another bottle outside the roof. Wouldn't that collect light from a greater area?

Or a shiny funnel I'm patenting a funnel covered in kitchen foil...
    umm and when it rains, hw do you propose to stop the rain getting down your shiny funnel and flooding the room below?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The roof in the pics looks like it's asbestos cement.

Drilling big holes in that is ever such a good idea.
    when you ain't got a pot to piss in that is probably the least of your worries

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What if you make a double-ended one, I wonder - another bottle outside the roof. Wouldn't that collect light from a greater area?

Or a shiny funnel I'm patenting a funnel covered in kitchen foil...

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Neat. my allotment shed could use a couple of those.

thanks.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I thought dirt poor farmers went to sleep when it was dark. This approach has worked for thousands of years, long before the invention of electric lighting or gas/oil lamps.
    this is during the day, early evening when they make clothes or the kids dinner, or the rainy season.

Bottles are free in the poor areas soft drink's manufacturers give them away free or sell them very cheap to people who litter them or they can be recycled locally.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Discarded drinks bottles are free and everywhere.
    Maybe where you live

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    its a free way to give dirt poor farmers light in their shacks and avoids them burning poisonous fossil fuels in their huts for lights.
    I thought dirt poor farmers went to sleep when it was dark. This approach has worked for thousands of years, long before the invention of electric lighting or gas/oil lamps.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    But they look bloody stupid. You could produce commercial units for a few pence since they wouldn't need a filament or to be pressurised.
    Yes but its costs money add transportation and it more money. Discarded drinks bottles are free and everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    But they look bloody stupid. You could produce commercial units for a few pence since they wouldn't need a filament or to be pressurised.
    its a free way to give dirt poor farmers light in their shacks and avoids them burning poisonous fossil fuels in their huts for lights.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    So does a hole in the roof suck more light into a room when you glue a bottle to it? Wouldn't you be better just having a window/skylight?
    Windows cost money. Drilling a hole in the roof is considerably cheaper. When you're really poor you don't give a flying **** what it looks like.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Helps how exactly, rather than just parroting the article? Wouldn't a faceted bulb distribute the light even more effectively?
    A faceted bulb would work better but discarded coke bottles are 'free' water & Bleach nearly free.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Helps how exactly, rather than just parroting the article? Wouldn't a faceted bulb distribute the light even more effectively?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    So does a hole in the roof suck more light into a room when you glue a bottle to it? Wouldn't you be better just having a window/skylight?

Those light-tubes you can have fitted which pipe light into window-less rooms are very neat though.
    refraction the water helps

Leave a comment:

Working...
X