• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Of all the stupid things..."

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Good to see the police were thorough in their search for the stolen car
    seriously you were surprised???

My little brother had a Ford Fester at UNI, after a heavy night he left it in the pub car park, it was gone the next morning. Anyway off to the Police who were suitably uninterested.

A few days later it was spotted at the local scraggs house having a new sunroof fitted (badly) with the same plates. Police were encouraged to go round and take the scrotes back to prison.

A few months later his car was stolen again, he asked them point blank "you don't think the same people nicked it?" , the cops replied "no", again it was spotted at the same house, it now had a new bumper. Police encouraged to go round...

Sunroof leaked until he got rid of it a few years later.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    My Grandfather "gave" up driving when he had his car "stolen" from Tesco's. Insurance claim was made he got the cash and we suggested taxis for ever more.

We found the car in the Tesco car park 8 weeks later unmoved with the shopping still in the back of the car.
    Good to see the police were thorough in their search for the stolen car

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Hopefully its guaranteed near fatal. Because for most people its quite hard to keep the keys far enough away from the car to keep it locked. I know my dads car unlocks itself and can start in the garage if the keys are not at the oposite side of the house. That means its impossible to secure the car and thieves can get into the garage, start the car and drive it off without any problems and can disarm the car when they cat to their own lockup...
    Even with the keys at the other end of the house...... Criminals find the key to car immobilisers - tech - 06 December 2010 - New Scientist

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Presume you had to refund the insurers?
    Offer on the car wasn't great. I think they got more at the auction.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    My Grandfather "gave" up driving when he had his car "stolen" from Tesco's. Insurance claim was made he got the cash and we suggested taxis for ever more.

We found the car in the Tesco car park 8 weeks later unmoved with the shopping still in the back of the car.
    Presume you had to refund the insurers?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I was on a very stressful contract, about an hours drive from home. A few days before it ended, I landed an gig about an hours drive in the opposite direction.
    After a really busy family weekend, still frazzled, I set off for my new gig.

When I got to the car park, I was amazed how similar the layout was to my previous gig.
    So I picks me phone up, phones the agent, 'can you tell the new client I will be about two hours late today'

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Katsup
    I once went to Tesco, did my shopping went outside to put it in the car and the car wasn't there, after spent a good while looking for it i went home to get my insurance details to report it stolen. Got to my drive, saw the car sitting there and realised I had walked to the supermarket.
    A friend did that, but in that case he'd left the car at work and walked home, and then couldn't find his car.

Nobody was surprised.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I many (most?) places you probably still could TBH... how often does someone come and try your door?
    When I was at university in Cardiff this was a very common burgalry tactic because so many drunk students forgot to lock up when they stumbled home. It got to the point where the police would try front door and leave a note if they found it was unlocked.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
    I once went to Tesco, did my shopping went outside to put it in the car and the car wasn't there, after spent a good while looking for it i went home to get my insurance details to report it stolen. Got to my drive, saw the car sitting there and realised I had walked to the supermarket.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    No it should cut out as soon as the keys are not in range...
    I thought that but it doesnt. It just wont start again if keys out of range.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
    Quality!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I did once drive a company car to the airport to pick up an important client and then forgot where I parked it. As it wasn't my car I only had a vague idea what it looked like. I think he was most impressed by wandering around for 20 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    In the olden times we could all leave our doors unlocked, and not have to worry.
    I many (most?) places you probably still could TBH... how often does someone come and try your door?

Leave a comment:

• Ketchup
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    that sounds too dangerous to be legal
    Hopefully its guaranteed near fatal. Because for most people its quite hard to keep the keys far enough away from the car to keep it locked. I know my dads car unlocks itself and can start in the garage if the keys are not at the oposite side of the house. That means its impossible to secure the car and thieves can get into the garage, start the car and drive it off without any problems and can disarm the car when they cat to their own lockup...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X