• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: What's the time?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's the time?"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    You can display the timezone next to the clock. Probably easier than trying to guess timezone.

The problem of accurate time still exists, you'd need to do something similar to ntp which uses system time to compute rtt to the server. Then you could compute the offset from the server time and use the system clock to provide ticks.
    Which was what I suggested in my original comment. either way ho hum and

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    As we are now on page 4 with no agreed consensus of opinion, maybe they were right to just remove it?!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The whole point is that the system time can't be involved in any way, as it cannot be trusted. If a user has their clock set to a timezone offset several hours different from where they are, their locale set to a location several hours different in the other direction, and is accessing the Internet through a proxy server on the other side of the world from their location, you can't show them an accurate time. And as the complaint was not that the clock was inaccurate, but rather that it could be inaccurate due to relying on the system time, you're back at square one.
    You can display the timezone next to the clock. Probably easier than trying to guess timezone.

The problem of accurate time still exists, you'd need to do something similar to ntp which uses system time to compute rtt to the server. Then you could compute the offset from the server time and use the system clock to provide ticks.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    My proposal just
    Whenever I encounter a phrase like "just do x", I know that x will turn out to be either ludicrously complex or provably impossible

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    100 days?
    10 days to write up the spec.
    20 days for management review
    30 days of committee review
    20 days project management documentation
    10 days to find an IT contractor
    5 days IT contractor waiting for system access
    4 days contractor surfing Internet for solution
    2 hours writing new clock code
    5 hours tea break
    What happened to the daily thirty pound dump?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    100 days?
    5 hours tea break

POTD

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    100 days?
    5 hours tea break

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Ill did it much cheapness, plenty quickness 210 days.

Bob Shawadiwadi
    FTFY

whichever muppet thought of using the local clock should be shot.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    How about a live webcam pointing at a clock?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    26 posts and no one has done:

Or

For shame on you all!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    The clock thing has already got a location next to it which you can change - so hardly going to present too much of a UI design challenge.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    WTF? Not the greatest web expert but I could do that in an hour or two with a bit of php, a hidden iframe and Lagado.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I've never been to the BBC homepage - I always go straight to the news page.

Remove the clock. Simple. I'll do it in 80 days.
    Ill do it much cheapness, plenty quickness 2 days.

Bob Shawadiwadi

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I've never been to the BBC homepage - I always go straight to the news page.

Remove the clock. Simple. I'll do it in 80 days.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Gosh.

Sommat else I didn't know.
    Indeedy. Perfectly simple. If one wanted to big up the job, one could click the detected location and give the user the option to change it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X