• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Small claims against a garage"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Ordered sofa through them last year.

Can't comment yet because delivery is due for Xmas 2015.
    Every time I see the DFS adverts I think
    • Does anyone ever buy anything during the times when they don't have a half price sale on (actually 60% atm)
    • Who on earth would have that in their living room

Apologies if it's you but their designs seem appalling

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    tulip happens. Garages **** up, and then don't give a tulip. Same with builders, delivery people, DFS, etc etc.
    Ordered sofa through them last year.

Can't comment yet because delivery is due for Xmas 2015.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    My, they were behind the times then! Every other manufacturer has been doing that (split circuit brakes) for donkey's years.
    Diagonally? and in the 50s?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    SAAB used to pair the braking system diagonally in case one system failed
    My, they were behind the times then! Every other manufacturer has been doing that (split circuit brakes) for donkey's years.

Leave a comment:

• ELBBUBKUNPS
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    So what if there are fooking spelling mistakes!?

To the OP, the garage has a 'duty of care' when you hand your car over to them and are paying them for a service ie changing the wheels around.

I suggest you speak to the garage manager \ owner and tell him they have a 'duty of care' and they have damaged your wheel which needs repair. Tell them you expect them to fix it or pay to have it fixed at a garage of your choice.

I'd also recommend you get any agreement from them in writing.

If they dont or wont agree to fix \ pay for the car to be fixed, you need to go through any disputes procedure the garage have before going to the Small Claims Court. The SCC needs to be satisfied you have tried all means to reach a solution with the garage before resulting to using them.

Make sure you stand your ground and are not being unreasonable in what you ask ie over inflated costs etc.
    I'm going to get it repaired at the garage I trust as I can't wait around to have the car sorted as I need it. I've told the bad garage I will bill them but they are just not really bothered or interested, they did say though they would re-tap the hole but I would prefer a new hub, I don't really want it in the back of my mind when on the motorway that I have a repaired hub.

As for my spelling and grammer I know its rubbish but I am challenged in that respect I do find my lack of skill in that area very frustrating though there is no excuse not to use spell check. You see lots of mistakes I don't see any, I'm cr*p with words but very good with figures.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    ^ I spot 8 spelling and grammar mistakes.

Can anyone find more?
    Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
    I got to 10 and stopped counting.
    Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
    I got a broken arm at the moment so typing with left hand which is not my typing hand, so can I be let off ?
    I stopped at "Must of" and "recon"? There can be no forgiveness. Those are capital crimes.

Speaking of which, in another place, a chap kept making the first letter of all words a capital. I suggested he might like to use the normal conventions of English grammar, and he said that he would (since otherwise, I'd just reject his posts), but he, personally, preferred to capitalise the first letter of every word.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
    I got a broken arm at the moment so typing with left hand which is not my typing hand, so can I be let off ?
    "They're so damn cocky, thought Walter Mitty, walking along Main Street; they think they know everything. Once he had tried to take his chains off, outside New Milford, and he had got them wound around the axles. A man had had to come out in a wrecking car and unwind them, a young, grinning garageman. Since then Mrs. Mitty always made him drive to the garage to have the chains taken off. The next time, he thought, I'll wear my right arm in a sling; they won't grin at me then. I'll have my right arm in a sling and they'll see I couldn't possibly take the chains off myself."

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    If the OP is already warmed up to the notion and expense of getting a new hub, should he not go the whole hog and replace with a traditional wire wheel held on with a single spinner thus removing any chance of a further occurrence?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Which goes to prove.

Spend less on safety and more on image.

BBC News - Saab sold to Chinese-Swedish investment group

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    surely you only need 2:

offside front
    nearside rear.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm waiting for Sas to jump in and call everyone a cretin.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    one on the front, and one on the rear wheel
    surely you only need 2:

offside front
    nearside rear.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm waiting for Sas to jump in with a comment on snow tyres about now.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    In the two bolt approach to driving, do the two bolts have to be diametrically opposed or just a random pair?
    one on the front, and one on the rear wheel

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    wheels are safe enough on three bolts these days. In fact I only use two on mine, to keep the wheels balanced.
    just make sure to wear a seat belt at all times and dont go round the corners too fast
    In the two bolt approach to driving, do the two bolts have to be diametrically opposed or just a random pair?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X