• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nearly died on the M4 this morning"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Can't believe the stupidity of this.

Filter lane which filters off left on M4. Lorry driver had obviously not been paying attention, stayed in the left and then realised it was going down the sliproad.

So, he's stopped dead in the slip road, turned almost 90 sideways, crossed the zigzags and then attempted to get back onto the main carriageway (like a give way sign).

Of course, I saw him wondered what he was doing but then he pulls out 100 yards in front of me. Know I know stopping distance at 70mph is about that.... Crapped myself, but had to swerve into outside lane (luckily nothing coming) and then watched as cars behind me almost ploughed into the back of me.

Driver of lorry should lose his job for this. Nolan Transport was the company. I've emailed them....

One thing I can not stand is people doing deliberately dangerous and stupid things when driving. Make a mistake fair enough but to do someone and endanger someone elses life because you're lazy is not on.
    Had a similar trouser filler on the M6 the other week, heading north where the toll road starts.

A dozy lorry driver suddenly noticed he was heading towards the the toll road and at the last minute yanked his wheel hard-a-port to stay on the M6, and almost ploughed into a busy line of traffic including myself. Everyone stood on their brakes, and I missed the back of his lorry by about a foot!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    but I guess a Russian set-up is a good place to start -
    Constant weird coincidences on CUK. I was looking at buying a dash cam just a couple of days ago and learned of the Russian dimension in passing.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    His car was badly damaged in a car park and it captured the other car reversing into his and then driving off. He called the local plod and said "I've got a video of someone hitting my car and then driving off". Plod said "Not interested, send it to your insurance company".
    Yep, because it's a civil matter, not a criminal one so there is nothing for the police to do.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    "Nearly died on the M4 this morning"

Better luck next time.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Did he look like he'd stopped and considered his options and then done this, or acted on instinct? Sometimes you act automatically when driving before thinking and that's very hard to practice or predict - only by training in similar circumstances like they do in the army/NASA can you know how someone will react and attempt to train them.

If he did it after having a think, he's a moron!
    Reckon he was in the lane then realised bugger its taking me off the motorway, pulled over to the right on the zig zags, stopped and then decided to try and pull back out.

Even if he had stopped instinctively the best plan would have still been to wait for a gap and pull back out left and continue down the slip road. Not try to edge out.

I did email the police. They came back with, did I have any witnesses, would I be willing to go to court? **** off you awkward twats - look at the CCTV, I'm just trying to make sure this bellend doesnt kill someone when he does it again.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    That's what I thought. If you attack a car on private land then surely its criminal damage. Its also an offence to leave the scene of an accident. Does this mean that you can commit any crime on a supermarket car pack and have nothing to worry about...perhaps the loss of your club card!
    Yes, if only that maniac with the machete had attacked that bloke in a multi-storey rather than a public road.....

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    So I can reverse into my neighbours car on his private drive and there's nothing the police can do? It is isn't a crime?

Can I throw a brick instead?

That's what I thought. If you attack a car on private land then surely its criminal damage. Its also an offence to leave the scene of an accident. Does this mean that you can commit any crime on a supermarket car pack and have nothing to worry about...perhaps the loss of your club card!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Why on earth didn't he just leave the motorway and then get back on after the invetibale roundabout?

Probably a bloody immigrant that's why!
    Happens a lot on the junction that takes you to Zürich one way and Luzern/Bern the other way. And yes. it's usually foreigners.

Brits, Germans, Dutch...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Can't believe the stupidity of this.

Filter lane which filters off left on M4. Lorry driver had obviously not been paying attention, stayed in the left and then realised it was going down the sliproad.

So, he's stopped dead in the slip road, turned almost 90 sideways, crossed the zigzags and then attempted to get back onto the main carriageway (like a give way sign).

Of course, I saw him wondered what he was doing but then he pulls out 100 yards in front of me. Know I know stopping distance at 70mph is about that.... Crapped myself, but had to swerve into outside lane (luckily nothing coming) and then watched as cars behind me almost ploughed into the back of me.

Driver of lorry should lose his job for this. Nolan Transport was the company. I've emailed them....

One thing I can not stand is people doing deliberately dangerous and stupid things when driving. Make a mistake fair enough but to do someone and endanger someone elses life because you're lazy is not on.
    Why on earth didn't he just leave the motorway and then get back on after the invetibale roundabout?

Probably a bloody immigrant that's why!
    Did he look like he'd stopped and considered his options and then done this, or acted on instinct? Sometimes you act automatically when driving before thinking and that's very hard to practice or predict - only by training in similar circumstances like they do in the army/NASA can you know how someone will react and attempt to train them.

If he did it after having a think, he's a moron!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Well, emailed the company and they reckon they've identified the driver and they will deal with in their weekly meeting.

Yeah right....

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    OK. But what if I was on the inside lane doing 80mph. Being overtaken on the outside by someone doing 90mph. Lorry pulls out from filter lane at 0 mph. Result = not good.
    Sorry to hear of your dice with death.

Rule I stick to is if I am ever anywhere near the inside lane (hardly ever) I stick to 60 because I know damn well I will be coming accross lots of lorries that are limited to 56Mph and there is no point slamming up the back of one and the twats in the middle lane club never have the sense to move out to the out lane to let you round lorries. Most of the time I pick a sensible speed and stick to the outside lane /middle lane. I never tailgate and I let the 100Mph brigade through as quick as possible. hardly any difference in trip times between driving with sense and 10 years ago when the fuzz passed my MR2 at 130 making gestures to calm down as they did

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    In future drive on the motorways at over 70mph so you can't be hit by a lorry like that. Lorry drivers often do draft things in their cabs so you need to steer clear of the lane they are likely to be in.
    Oh great. More middle laners.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    In future drive on the motorways at over 70mph so you can't be hit by a lorry like that. Lorry drivers often do draft things in their cabs so you need to steer clear of the lane they are likely to be in.

So if you drive at over 70mph you're invincible? Now I understand why the legal limit is 70. If the public found out about this there'll be riots!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    They can't pin it on a particular driver unless you have their reg number.

OK. But what if I was on the inside lane doing 80mph. Being overtaken on the outside by someone doing 90mph. Lorry pulls out from filter lane at 0 mph. Result = not good.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Yeh. Contacted said company and they said did I get reg no?

No. I ******* didnt. I was more concerned about not dying at the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely they know roughly where all their lorries are at a given time?
    They can't pin it on a particular driver unless you have their reg number.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X