• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Any mad, swivel-eyed loons on here?"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    A bit harsh.
    It's OK - they won't get the exemption.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    They could always retrain as lollipop men / ladies, assuming they get an exemption from assisting gay parents across the road.
    A bit harsh.

Leave a comment:

• sirja
    replied
    I don't like Games of Thrones, dose that make me a mad swivel-eyed loon?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I have some sympathy with those that started their career as a registry office official before this became an issue. They chose the career with certain conditions and they have changed.
    They could always retrain as lollipop men / ladies, assuming they get an exemption from assisting gay parents across the road.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Dunno. One might say you shouldn't take a job that requires you to break your own ethical code... it's like asking if a Jew employed by a butcher should be allowed to refuse to work with pork... DON'T BECOME A BUTCHER!
    I have some sympathy with those that started their career as a registry office official before this became an issue. They chose the career with certain conditions and they have changed.

But getting a job at Tesco then refusing to sell Alcohol or Condoms seems a little foolish.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    You sure about that?

The Eek Juniors use Penguin as their nickname for muslims wearing Burqas.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    No it isn't you silly troll.

Animals murder each other and have multiple partners too, they're clearly very very naughty. What kind of argument is that for humans to have gay marriage when animals don't get married in the first place? The whole point is we're not penguins.
    You sure about that?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I'd forgotten that. Nice film.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    So, are registrars with an RC faith permitted to conscientiously object to conducting civil marriages for divorcees?
    Dunno. One might say you shouldn't take a job that requires you to break your own ethical code... it's like asking if a Jew employed by a butcher should be allowed to refuse to work with pork... DON'T BECOME A BUTCHER!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    why are people objecting to it?

for me what people do is up to them as long as it does not harm others.

Gay Marriage does not harm others but some people seem the think it should not be allowed because it offends them - and that is just tough tulip in my view.

maybe my view is too simplistic.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I don't see why it would be. Nothing you can do can change the fact of who their biological parents are, the bible describes marriage as the same type of indelible, unalterable truth.
    But adoption changes who your parents are.

I see what you mean, though.

So, are registrars with an RC faith permitted to conscientiously object to conducting civil marriages for divorcees?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    So how does adoption work in the eyes of God? Is it in much the same way sin, as remarriage after divorce?
    I don't see why it would be. Nothing you can do can change the fact of who their biological parents are, the bible describes marriage as the same type of indelible, unalterable truth.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Gay marriage? We'll put a stop to that 'human BUG', says Nintendo ? The Register

A bug that permitted same-sex marriage in a Nintendo game was a mistake by the developer rather than a victory for equality, we're told.

Gamers playing Tomodachi Collection: New Life - the latest version of The Sims-like role-playing game for the 3DS handheld - noticed they had the option of allowing male characters to marry and raise children together. Oddly, though, female avatars (Miis) were not allowed to wed other female avatars.

Previous editions of Tomodachi Collection did not permit any same-sex marriages, geek culture blog Kotaku noted.

The gay wedding "feature" introduced in New Life generated a bit of local buzz: "In Japan, some Tomodachi Collection: New Life owners seem thrilled by the bug, posting photos of their gay couples online," Kotaku reported. "In the images, male Mii characters ask each other to go steady, propose marriage, go on honeymoons, bathe together, and raise children."

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by proggy View Post
    Can't we just kill all religious (except maybe buddihsts and Hindus) people and start again. :nazi:
    Don't forget the 2002 anti-Muslim pogrom in Gujerat and the current anti-Muslim pogrom in Burma.

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    I agree, but it appears that such people not only exist, but believe that their freedoms are infringed if other people are granted the liberty to marry the person they love.
    Can't we just kill all religious (except maybe buddihsts and Hindus) people and start again. :nazi:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X