• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Getting out of a wedding - advice for friend"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Ours was relatively cheap by today's standards, but still seemed crazy shelling out so much when we had no money. Fortunately the parents footed most of the bill.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Not sure how much mine was as my parents paid for it Wedding dress and car were presents from relatives.

I never understood the fuss the first time around ( me Ma kicked up more of a stink about a full catholic shindig in Ireland, and all I wanted was a registry office ceremony with a few friends and family) and certainly won't be doing it a second time.

Could someone please tell me why some people will shell out the cost of a house deposit on what essentially is a big one day party?
    Don't ask me. I've just let her and the MIL get on with it, while I go to the pub with her old man.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Not sure how much mine was as my parents paid for it Wedding dress and car were presents from relatives.

I never understood the fuss the first time around ( me Ma kicked up more of a stink about a full catholic shindig in Ireland, and all I wanted was a registry office ceremony with a few friends and family) and certainly won't be doing it a second time.

Could someone please tell me why some people will shell out the cost of a house deposit on what essentially is a big one day party?
    Likewise, first time around was a massive do at home that I really regret (along with the marriage!!)

This time... much more laid back

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Fook me I'm getting jipped. £6000 for the honeymoon and the rest of it is over £25k!!!!
    Yeah but we got married in our early twenties almost straight out of university with no money. Proper community "friends all mucking in" affair - very nice in fact.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Well we aimed for £15k for the wedding and £5k max for the honeymoon, but like the last Labour goverment my missus has no idea what a fooking budget is about.
    She probably feels she is entitled to spend a bit of cash to mask her grief at being married to you

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    we ran away to Gretna green, cost me 15 quid in petrol but I got the best blow job of my life.
    if the missus ever finds out, im dead

Yeah I heard that catholic priest at Gretna gives good service

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    we ran away to Gretna green, cost me 15 quid in petrol but I got the best blow job of my life.
    if the missus ever finds out, im dead

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    We paid about 6k 7 years ago. Including a medieval banquet in the evening which fed just over 200 people.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    £25k is top end but then again you are trying to impress (well either you or wifey's dad is). I think we spent £2k+ and that's going back 19 years with the reception in a Church hall (well we did have a barn dance and request sensible footwear for the evening).
    Well we aimed for £15k for the wedding and £5k max for the honeymoon, but like the last Labour goverment my missus has no idea what a fooking budget is about.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If you don't get it you never will however much it is explained to you to be honest.
    It will be explained very simply to the eek juniors. You can have this large (well we live in the North East) house deposit or a fancy wedding. Take your pick.

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    I second that question. I don't get it.

We'd have gone for the registry office, but that only seats 30 people. Most of my guests are coming over from abroad, so I can't then tell them "Oh, but there's no space for you during the ceremony."
    Adding a different ceremony location pushed up the price of the whole thing by 1.5k. :-/

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    If you don't get it you never will however much it is explained to you to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Not sure about that. The average wedding cost in the UK is around £20k apparently.
    I think that would includes honeymoon looking at Average wedding costs 2013 .

Also I wasn't talking about the full cost just the venue and entertainment side of things. I know our Wedding photographer was £500 grumpy and crap. Thankfully digital cameras make that thing so much easier nowadays (I've been to weddings where my photos are better than the professionals and I'm a total amateur).

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I think mine cost about £500 but that did cover hiring a venue, catering and a disco. Another £500 for honeymoon!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    £25k is top end but then again you are trying to impress (well either you or wifey's dad is). I think we spent £2k+ and that's going back 19 years with the reception in a Church hall (well we did have a barn dance and request sensible footwear for the evening).
    Not sure about that. The average wedding cost in the UK is around £20k apparently.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X