• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dial 111

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dial 111"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    That is the problem with civil servants the world round.

Get stroppy about that work permit or visa and your paperwork gets shuffled to the bottom of the pile.
    No, it's nothing to do with civil servants. PEOPLE are like this. Treat your builder like a lower class oik and you'll find he's less than helpful when a pipe bursts. Treat your waiter like a servant and your order may get screwed up.

What goes around comes around as they say.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Maybe the problem is Sas. It's odd how arrogant people who like to complain about everything and tell people they aren't doing things right tend to get bad service so often.
    That is the problem with civil servants the world round.

Get stroppy about that work permit or visa and your paperwork gets shuffled to the bottom of the pile.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Wrong. When we used it they told us to contact our hospital for an emergency dental appointment - never even knew hospitals kept a dentist on standby - on a Sunday which got things sorted out.
    Yep, hospitals do keep dentists around. But I only knew that because an old schoolmate did his first stint after qualifying as a dentist in a hospital.

Incidentally he was on contractor style money straight after qualifying. That hospital stint netted him £14K p.a. doing piecework when I thought I was doing well as a permie on £5K.

In hindsight I should be thankful to him for introducing me to the idea of contracting

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    If you've got toothache, that's a bargain.
    If you live in Switzerland £200 is a definite bargain for a dentist.

Swiss dentists could teach Heathrow cab drivers a thing or two.

The trainee dentist who used to be a neighbour not only had a swish penthouse flat but ran a BMW 540 and his wife had a Maserati.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    The original 111 pilot was originally rolled out first in Surrey* and is still going.

*A consortium of GPs in East surrey to be precise, so not the whole county.
    The pilot areas are in County Durham & Darlington, Luton and the East Midlands (Nottingham and Lincolnshire) where the service is being offered and refined for rollout.
    Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Odd that the NHS 111 page doesn't list Surrey as one of the places to which the service has been rolled out
    The original 111 pilot was originally rolled out first in Surrey* and is still going.

*A consortium of GPs in East surrey to be precise, so not the whole county.
    Last edited by sasguru; 24 February 2013, 15:31.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Odd that the NHS 111 page doesn't list Surrey as one of the places to which the service has been rolled out
    linky

Although you can appreciate Sas's confusion.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Maybe the problem is Sas. It's odd how arrogant people who like to complain about everything and tell people they aren't doing things right tend to get bad service so often.

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Wrong. When we used it they told us to contact our hospital for an emergency dental appointment - never even knew hospitals kept a dentist on standby - on a Sunday which got things sorted out.
    But for poor old Sasguru, they didn't give him that option.
    So still a post-code lottery then, even with a script.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Did you try wrapping a "blankie" round yourself to alleviate the ache?

Don't be so cynical. A sore tooth was the catalyst for Sas to turn his intellect and attention to reforming the NHS

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Developed an excruciating toothache last night. Called local dentists just now for appt. - we don't do emergencies they say, call 111. Never heard of that but do so.
    Get some NHS bloke who asks me if I've overdosed on painkillers. No I say, took some but followed the instructions. Can you talk he says? I'm talking to you aren't I, i say. Can you walk? yes I can [fooking I think] walk (voice rising). What symptoms have you got. A [foookinnggg] excruciating pain in my jaw. What other symptoms? None, FFS. have you had anything like this before? FFS FFS FFS FFS goes through my mind. What is you marital status? AARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!
    Finaly he says, about 15 minutes later, "From the information you have given me, I think you need to see a dentist in the next 24 hours". No farking tulip Sherlock you dim-witted waste of fooking space, piece of thick script-following tulip, you make a Bob call centre operative sound like farking Einstein.
    Your local dentist is xxxxxx, he says giving me the number of the dentist who had asked me to call 111 in the first place. AARRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

The NHS. Dismantling it won't come too soon. mad
    Did you try wrapping a "blankie" round yourself to alleviate the ache?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Dial 111

Having arrhythmia and ICD fitted I've nothing bad to say about the NHS, they treated me grandly and three times when I've had issues they've come out to me within 10 mins.

Some guy in the US told me he has the same condition as me, same device, except he was presented with a bill $159,000 for his, and he only has $49,000 of health insurance.

The US medicos now have his house to covet when the poor chap dies.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    111 is just a waste of money.

They read a script and at the end.
    1) Dial 999 or
    2) Go and see your GP / Dentist asap or
    3) Go and see your GP / Dentist at some point or
    4) It will cure itself

Google does it quicker!

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    You guys are such a disappointment. I was hoping for more funny 111 stories.

Last time I called them was a few years ago, on behalf of my friend who was suffering from spontaneous hearing loss.
    The number of times the dimwit on the phone asked me whether she could speak to my friend was just ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X