• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is being a landlord that great?"

Collapse

• Basil Fawlty
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Were you using agents to simply help you out while you were responsible? They don't do a great deal in that scenario - or get paid much. One would hope they'd be less crap with a managed service because they only get paid when the rent comes in!

Not for us. It would be hugely profitable if we didn't have gaps between tenants, have to redecorate 'cos they ruined it, etc... mortgage interest is £61pcm on a£60k house and rent ~400pcm which is a great yield.

It's pretty easy to look for houses up for let, and houses on the same street up for sale, and see if letting would only make sense on a cash purchase, or would still be profitable on a mortgage basis.

I'd suggest like with contracting, assume the place is empty 3 months a year.
    It was the full managed service. One particular incident happened when the current tenants moved out. The agents said they'd rented it straight and the new tenants were going to move in within two weeks of the old tenant moving out. The day before they were supposed to move in the agent called say new tenants had not passed the referencing so they couldn't let them move in, they told me not to worry though as they had someone else sorted, but they can't move in for another 6 weeks ! Once these tenants had moved in I found out they actually knew the agent, so it was clear they'd just fed me a load of old crock to keep the flat for their buddies.

Ultimately this cost me two months of rent and was the point were I stopped using agents. Given I've such a significant portion of my retirement invested in this, I now keep much closer control over things.

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    My last tenants were a disaster - trashed the place and left a lot of debts related to the property.

If your tenants are not UK - get their passport numbers + visas verified.

Put water on a meter - so you can identify sub-letting.

Inventory companies - stupid, idle & arrogant about their 'profession' - check and double check their documents - take your own photos and videos for proof - they claim their descriptions are more accurate than photographic evidence !

Anyone a landlord in Glasgow?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    No wonder, with that nylon stuff you had down, everyone was walking around looking like Don King :-)
    I thought my industrial standard carpet floor tiles looked the business. Took me 6 months to do the whole living room as clientco would have noticed the same tile go missing if I hadn't spread it over time

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    does that mean if major work such as recarpeting / redecorating cannot be claimed for?
    10% is only claimable if your property is a furnished let. If you claim the 10% then some other costs are not allowable, you need to take detailed advice depending on your circumstances and the type of property.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Didn't claim the carpets or any furniture over the period though. Oddly enough have had two tenants in that put their own carpet in the living room so never had to change one since.
    No wonder, with that nylon stuff you had down, everyone was walking around looking like Don King :-)

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    does that mean if major work such as recarpeting / redecorating cannot be claimed for?
    I am not so sure about that. I claimed a full redecoration of my flat due to it looking a bit dated early on. Modernisation wouldn't come under wear and tear and could be claimed as an investment to then let for more.

Didn't claim the carpets or any furniture over the period though. Oddly enough have had two tenants in that put their own carpet in the living room so never had to change one since.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Basil Fawlty View Post
    I've used 4 different agents in my local area and they've all been useless, so much so that I now manage my properties myself.

I used to spend as much time managing the agent as I do managing my tenants. Not to mention the extra void periods (and agent doesn't have a mortgage to pay, so they really don't care if it's empty for a month or two), charges for needless repairs, and tenancy set up charges.

Unless you know of a good letting agent, I'd advise managing the properties yourself...
    Were you using agents to simply help you out while you were responsible? They don't do a great deal in that scenario - or get paid much. One would hope they'd be less crap with a managed service because they only get paid when the rent comes in!

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    I'm hoping to get into BTL next year, in terms of an investment has it been worthwhile in your experience?
    Not for us. It would be hugely profitable if we didn't have gaps between tenants, have to redecorate 'cos they ruined it, etc... mortgage interest is £61pcm on a£60k house and rent ~400pcm which is a great yield.

It's pretty easy to look for houses up for let, and houses on the same street up for sale, and see if letting would only make sense on a cash purchase, or would still be profitable on a mortgage basis.

I'd suggest like with contracting, assume the place is empty 3 months a year.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Your profit less 10% for wear and tear of course.

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    BTL is also a good way to supplement your pension as long as you are careful with what you buy. Latest research shows that the majority of landlords are actively planning to live off their rental income into retirement:

Majority of landlords expect to live off rental income into retirement | News | Mortgage Strategy

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Thanks that's really helpful, in terms of rental income what proportion do you lose to tax?
    Your profit less 10% for wear and tear of course.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Thanks that's really helpful, in terms of rental income what proportion do you lose to tax?
    You spend it on upkeep of the property/reinvesting in other BTL?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    <cough> pardon? <cough>

Next question please.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I've never used an agent and always trusted my instinct when it comes to tenants. Obviously I take references and credit checks but I've been renting out property on and off for 25 years and think I can spot a wrong 'un pretty quickly.

There are only three things I REALLY expect of my tenants;

1) Pay the rent on time
    2) Look after my property
    3) Don't be a nuisance to the neighbours

Just some of my tips;

Never get friendly with tenants, it's a business.

Sort problems and tenant queries asap, don't leave things hanging about. If you act lazy your tenants will assume they can act lazy as well.

Keep on top of the paperwork.

Do not leave anything open to discussion. Photograph the place before the tenants move in, give them a copy of the photos on a DVD and ask them to sign it's accurate and also sign the inventory. Do not let them move in until that inventory is signed.

Have a "burner" PAYG mobile that only your tenants have the number for. This means you can give the phone to an temporary agent or friend for a couple of weeks if you're abroad to deal with any issues and you not get hassled.

Never rent anywhere you wouldn't live in yourself.

Always be professional but always assume the worst of people.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    ?

Wassat mean?
    It's a walk in the park whilst eating a piece of cake I think.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X