• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's been your best gig?"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    I had a great 7 year gig with an American company as their agent for EMEA whilst doing other contracts at the same time. I got a retainer each month just for support and then charged them for having to actually do any work, i.e. go onsite, build systems. I got to travel the world and charge everything to them (including all my office supplies, telephone, internet, everything) and it wasn't all that difficult.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MarillionFan again.
    done

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    togh call, but it has to be a gig in Singapore.
    got my app in and running before noon on day 1, so bummed around and had a cracking all expenses holiday in the sun

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MarillionFan again.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I think even he would get stressed out over that kind of gig and of course it would all go wrong and we would all get to hear about it.
    "I told the wife to put in my DVD of Thomas the Tank Engine. She did so, but selected episode 3, Thomas & The Controller, while I wanted the second episode Thomas loses his brakes. Well I was pretty miffed to be honest and had to write a lengthy email, copying in Suityou03, who to be honest hasn't been pulling his weight on this project from the outset, and I've had to come in and bail him out on more than one occassion with the television controller. Well eventually the wife replied to my request and was able to change the channel for me, but not before I pointed out an error in the ingredients she was using for lunch! God knows where they get these people!!! When I eventually settled down, yes Thomas had lost his brakes and went on a fast journey down the hill before crashing through a fence. The speed made me feel a little giddy & I had to take the rest of the day off sick. Why does this always happen! "

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Ah! A Suity gig.
    I think even he would get stressed out over that kind of gig and of course it would all go wrong and we would all get to hear about it.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I'll let you know when I have one. Most of mine are pretty much same 'ol, same 'ol.

I did have one gig where it was working from home full time, the clients I dealt with on their behalf were pretty low maintenance once I'd had all my initial meetings with them, I could sit back watch DVDs and answer the occasional e-mail or phone call. I only needed to be in the office one a week for a team meeting.
    Ah! A Suity gig.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    I'll let you know when I have one. Most of mine are pretty much same 'ol, same 'ol.

I did have one gig where it was working from home full time, the clients I dealt with on their behalf were pretty low maintenance once I'd had all my initial meetings with them, I could sit back watch DVDs and answer the occasional e-mail or phone call. I only needed to be in the office one a week for a team meeting.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    a Telecoms giant.

In an old exchange building, 10 of us supporting some cool applications. I learnt loads.

Spent 2 years sorting out the issues. Then it was plain sailing.

Once we had fixed most of the day's issues we finished at 11am and went down the Pub.

They kept us on to do the out of hours stuff at time and a half, result.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    The thing is that if something made you chuckle you should show that in your response rather than just say incorrect.

That just makes you look like the humourless w**ker others on this site think you are.
    Oh, the irony .....just listen to yourself

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Best 'gig' is deal I got with a mate who runs his own consultancy company. He pays me a retainer to be available if he needs to call me.

Think hes phoned me once in a year. And it took about 30 mins to resolve....

And yes it is all invoiced properly....

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Best environment was HP in Filton, Bristol.

Tidy restaurant, banks on site, own gym, squash courts, and playing fields on site. £10 life membership for contractors.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Not really, I was being funny. Oh dear, back to "Humour for Dummies" for me.
    Anyway made me chuckle.
    The thing is that if something made you chuckle you should show that in your response rather than just say incorrect.

That just makes you look like the humourless w**ker others on this site think you are.
    Last edited by eek; 18 February 2013, 10:13.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Sense of humour failure today dearie.

Bless.
    Not really, I was being funny. Oh dear, back to "Humour for Dummies" for me.
    Anyway made me chuckle.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    As have you by posting the above.
    Sense of humour failure today dearie.

Bless.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X