• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's been your best gig?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a Telecoms giant.

In an old exchange building, 10 of us supporting some cool applications. I learnt loads.

Spent 2 years sorting out the issues. Then it was plain sailing.

Once we had fixed most of the day's issues we finished at 11am and went down the Pub.

They kept us on to do the out of hours stuff at time and a half, result.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'll let you know when I have one. Most of mine are pretty much same 'ol, same 'ol.

I did have one gig where it was working from home full time, the clients I dealt with on their behalf were pretty low maintenance once I'd had all my initial meetings with them, I could sit back watch DVDs and answer the occasional e-mail or phone call. I only needed to be in the office one a week for a team meeting.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        I'll let you know when I have one. Most of mine are pretty much same 'ol, same 'ol.

I did have one gig where it was working from home full time, the clients I dealt with on their behalf were pretty low maintenance once I'd had all my initial meetings with them, I could sit back watch DVDs and answer the occasional e-mail or phone call. I only needed to be in the office one a week for a team meeting.
        Ah! A Suity gig.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Ah! A Suity gig.
          I think even he would get stressed out over that kind of gig and of course it would all go wrong and we would all get to hear about it.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            I think even he would get stressed out over that kind of gig and of course it would all go wrong and we would all get to hear about it.
            "I told the wife to put in my DVD of Thomas the Tank Engine. She did so, but selected episode 3, Thomas & The Controller, while I wanted the second episode Thomas loses his brakes. Well I was pretty miffed to be honest and had to write a lengthy email, copying in Suityou03, who to be honest hasn't been pulling his weight on this project from the outset, and I've had to come in and bail him out on more than one occassion with the television controller. Well eventually the wife replied to my request and was able to change the channel for me, but not before I pointed out an error in the ingredients she was using for lunch! God knows where they get these people!!! When I eventually settled down, yes Thomas had lost his brakes and went on a fast journey down the hill before crashing through a fence. The speed made me feel a little giddy & I had to take the rest of the day off sick. Why does this always happen! "
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MarillionFan again.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

togh call, but it has to be a gig in Singapore.
                got my app in and running before noon on day 1, so bummed around and had a cracking all expenses holiday in the sun

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MarillionFan again.
                  done

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I had a great 7 year gig with an American company as their agent for EMEA whilst doing other contracts at the same time. I got a retainer each month just for support and then charged them for having to actually do any work, i.e. go onsite, build systems. I got to travel the world and charge everything to them (including all my office supplies, telephone, internet, everything) and it wasn't all that difficult.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X