• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is there really no security in contracting?"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Never forget the story of the permie who openly cheered as some senior manager bank he was working at gave a speech about how they all should be pulling together to get through hard times and was made redundant a week later.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    One is job security, the other is career security... Different things so can't really compare with the permies. Also different outlook to work and expectation of that work so again can't compare. What a permie looks in a secure job is different to what a contractor considers secure...

Pretty flawed observation all round IMO. Time to ditch that client and get a new gig somewhere else so you can see if your observation still holds true or not.
    You wanting to take over my role or something? What ever happened to completing the contract?

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Security means different things to permies and contractors.

To a permie it means that they can stay safely with that company and probably rise up through the ranks eventually.

To a contractor it means having enough money in the bank to pay living expenses for the next, say, 6 months.

I have witnessed contractors staying when permies were chopped but I have also witnessed the other. I have seen the case where they were paid for out of different budgets, at one point we had a different budget for another guy - he was a consultant but not a contractor etc.

He had been there 7 years and was the expert in one of the systems. Budgets got cut and he had to go on the spot, they could not rehire him due to the recruitment freeze - it was quite a blow to the department *shrug*

Leave a comment:

• deanosity
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Is he a tightarse?
    No problems with paying on time and approving expenses if that's what you meant.

I also get to sleep with his missus to.

Leave a comment:

• Kelstar
    replied
    I'm restructuring client co at the moment... says it all.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    One is job security, the other is career security... Different things so can't really compare with the permies. Also different outlook to work and expectation of that work so again can't compare. What a permie looks in a secure job is different to what a contractor considers secure...

Pretty flawed observation all round IMO. Time to ditch that client and get a new gig somewhere else so you can see if your observation still holds true or not.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by deanosity View Post
    You think that's bad, I have to sleep with my boss!
    Is he a tightarse?

Leave a comment:

• Kelstar
    replied
    Originally posted by deanosity View Post

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What's the average length a contractor stays with each client? What's the average length of time a permie is employed by each company?

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    You can earn as much in 4 months as a permie can get all years. So as long as you always save a warchest there's never an issue.

Leave a comment:

• deanosity
    replied
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    Same here however my boss is a slave driver and a tight&rse

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I am very secure, I am certain my LtdCo won't ever fire me
    Same here however my boss is a slave driver and a tight&rse

Seriously though i am more secure as a contractor, when my contract ends i am ready i know how to interview i know the questions and answers, permies don't have the same mentality unless their actively looking to move

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I am very secure, I am certain my LtdCo won't ever fire me

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    The more I work contracts and see contractors around me, the more I realise that security for permies is just a myth...

If you are a contractor with sought after skills, then you tend to be kept on. Permies in cushie jobs are the ones that tend to go first. Not only that but I have found in big organisations that for every permie there is a contractor doing the real work......

Not only that but because you are in a "risky" profession, you will tend to work yourself into a very strong position, ironically

Welcome to the secure way to work - contracting (only if you are any good that is)!
    Presumably you don't work at 2e2.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    started a topic Is there really no security in contracting?

Is there really no security in contracting?

The more I work contracts and see contractors around me, the more I realise that security for permies is just a myth...

If you are a contractor with sought after skills, then you tend to be kept on. Permies in cushie jobs are the ones that tend to go first. Not only that but I have found in big organisations that for every permie there is a contractor doing the real work......

Not only that but because you are in a "risky" profession, you will tend to work yourself into a very strong position, ironically

Welcome to the secure way to work - contracting (only if you are any good that is)!

Working...
X