• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Friday Whiteout

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Friday Whiteout"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Enjoy it while it lasts....

Snowdon will be snow-free in 13 years, scientists warn - Climate Change - Environment - The Independent

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Just popped out to Waitrose. Roads are fine but almost empty. Still plenty of white stuff on the pavements that will be well dodgy tomorrow after it freezes tonight.

Took the dog out for a walk and she came home with a nose like Daniella Westbrook.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Only took me one-and-a-half hours to drive the one-and-a-half miles home. (Well, that's walking distance; with the one-way system, probably more like one-and-three-quarter miles.)

That's all city driving, too: I was parked in a city centre car park, and I live on one of the main roads into the city centre.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Been snowing in Leeds since 4 but not heavy

Leave a comment:

• Runs With Scissors
    replied
    Snowless in Glasgow, not a bad day here actually, a bit cold but plenty of sunshine.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I was a baby then, less than one year old, and almost died of pneumonia that winter. My parents were among the few people on their road who'd had the foresight to lay in a stock of coal, but almost ran out due to less well-organised neighbours begging for the loan of a bucket of it at times when the coalman couldn't make it through.
    Perhaps it was my father's experience of the winter of 1947, but he had built a coal bunker big enough to take a ton of the stuff.

That reminds me of the current discussion of winter tyres. My father had a set of "Town and Country" tyres he would get fitted every winter, even back then. I think they probably fell out of favour when radials took over from cross-plies.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Britain faced 76 days of below-zero temperatures in the early months of 1963 fifty years ago

All I can remember is that we had 6 foot snowdrifts on the hill above us and the sledging was good.
    I was a baby then, less than one year old, and almost died of pneumonia that winter. My parents were among the few people on their road who'd had the foresight to lay in a stock of coal, but almost ran out due to less well-organised neighbours begging for the loan of a bucket of it at times when the coalman couldn't make it through.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    ClientCo manager is now stood at the office window, looking down at the junction below and giving a running commentary on bad driving, skids, and near-collisions as people misjudge their braking when the lights change

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    stopped in london

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Re: Friday Whiteout

"If you don't need to be here you can go"

To be fair most of the permies are still here!

Sent from my tweeting foot massager.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Not the met, it's Gav!

Gavsweathervids
    Why when I first read that did I think of a homosexual with a big Handle - Bar moustatche in a yellow oilskin coat ? I suspect association.

Then I read it again its gaV's

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    I think we need a "Minister for snow"

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
    @birdyjon

J ‏tweets: Snow getting bad in East Croydon, delayed trains and lots of Network Rail people looking at tracks and shaking their heads.
    FFS - They seem to manage fine in Russia when it's -60, with six feet of snow on the line!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
    Yes, ta!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Just started snowing in mid Kent
    Stopped snowing in mid Kent

Leave a comment: