• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractors know they are getting old when.."

Collapse

• KentPhilip
    replied
    No, a real contractor would use his sense of creativity, and take the tree down by blowing it up with dynamite:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWdpFZIdDqY

Much less effort than axe or chainsaw..

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    It depends how big the tree is and its position - I have dropped middling sized trees by building up a scaffold tower around the tree and dismantling it in stages - which worked very well - but I have a huge tree that needs a had pollarding and some of the trunks must weigh over a ton - and will be getting a man in to do that
    Agreed to some extent, a bigger factor is if you are on the bench. I've tackled some big beasts when benched, but it was a major undertaking that took days and with quite a bit of risk to life and limb, I had a very lucky escape a year or two back. You really need to know what you are doing to take a chainsaw up a tree and if you DIY it and do it all manually it's hard work.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    WHS. But one of the few things I'd pay for is tree felling, the right kit and letting someone else risk their neck for a few hundred quid is something worth paying for.
    It depends how big the tree is and its position - I have dropped middling sized trees by building up a scaffold tower around the tree and dismantling it in stages - which worked very well - but I have a huge tree that needs a had pollarding and some of the trunks must weigh over a ton - and will be getting a man in to do that

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Exactly - I always expect a tradesman to do something better than I could do it..they seldom do
    WHS. But one of the few things I'd pay for is tree felling, the right kit and letting someone else risk their neck for a few hundred quid is something worth paying for.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I actually prefer DIY because it always works the way I intended, tradesmen seem to have a peculiar idea of what is acceptable. or maybe its me.
    Exactly - I always expect a tradesman to do something better than I could do it..they seldom do

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    (and horizontal gymnastics doesn't count btw)

it does, if you do it like 9 /12 weeks stylee its 200 calories/hr.

I actually prefer DIY because it always works the way I intended, tradesmen seem to have a peculiar idea of what is acceptable. or maybe its me.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    You're all looking at this the wrong way, to save money on expensive gym memberships you need to be doing a bit of physical around the house (and horizontal gymnastics doesn't count btw) - double bubble of keeping fit and not paying a tradesman
    WHS. I'm a fat g*t though at the moment, so it doesn't work when it p*sses down every weekend. Wood chopping and digging holes are right up there in the elite areas of DIY fitness.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I am ready for round 2

The missus lopped some branches off, now I will go out and cut the trunk up.

I may be some time.

On the plus side, my muscles have hardened up nicely. Its amazing what a few hours can do

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    A real contractor gets his groundsman to cut down the tree.
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Its cheaper to do a 50-50 split with the person cutting the tree.
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Listen mate, I'm a permie and even I can afford lackies to do that kind of manual work.
    You're all looking at this the wrong way, to save money on expensive gym memberships you need to be doing a bit of physical around the house (and horizontal gymnastics doesn't count btw) - double bubble of keeping fit and not paying a tradesman

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    A real contractor would buy a different mansion with the tree in the right place and then lease his old one out to other contractors as a reserve where you can hunt recruitment agents.
    Last edited by MyUserName; 14 January 2013, 09:44. Reason: another idea!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
    Should that be Mudskippers custom title
    You'll regret that when she changes her avatar to

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Yeah, but that just means you are MILF-like
    Should that be Mudskippers custom title

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    They chop a tree down in the garden, with a hand axe and a wood saw

and the next day they feel like they did three rounds with Mike Tyson.

It was so bad this morning that even my stiffy was stiff

'MRS EO. BRING ME A BEER'

ooo that hurt

Listen mate, I'm a permie and even I can afford lackies to do that kind of manual work.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Its cheaper to do a 50-50 split with the person cutting the tree.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    a real contractor would have one of these

Leave a comment:

Working...
X