• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone been to see The Hobbit yet?"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I didn't mean because they don't know it, but because they might like a film which is deep and detailed and doesn't cut stuff out.

Can't decide whether to bother or not. Maybe see this one and then wait for the boxset to see all 3 together.
    Most of me thinks I should have done that to keep the continuity. Was pretty impressive to see it in all it's glory in the cinema though. Saying that having kids I will have to do both anyway.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I didn't mean because they don't know it, but because they might like a film which is deep and detailed and doesn't cut stuff out.

Can't decide whether to bother or not. Maybe see this one and then wait for the boxset to see all 3 together.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    In a way that proper LOTR fans would appreciate do you think?
    Not really no, a LOTR fan would know the backgrounds and don't need spoon feeding the slow stuff. I personally would have been happy with more action. LOTR film didn't have half as much as this one does.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Lot of time spent on the history and the lore of whats gone by in the past
    In a way that proper LOTR fans would appreciate do you think?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Just on a slight tangent, I don't really like James Nesbitt as one of the cast. He looks the part and all that, and don't know why the same issue doesn't bother me about the other actors. When I see Gandalf it's Gandalf, not Ian McKellen but everytime James Nesbitt's character talks, it's James Nesbitt in constume... It just doesn't work for me...... Probably just me

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Oddly enough my other half is not a fan of Dungeons & Dragon types and wasn't that impressed with LOTR because she doesn't understand the 'rules' of fantasy worlds, elves all hairy fairy, dwarves live underground and all that. The Hobbit does spend a lot of time explaining all this and the lead characters so she could actually follow it a bit more than just a slash and magic film like most are.
    So you dressing up as Bilbo and waving Sting around doesn't do it for her?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Quite a bit apparently, not went down well, a bit too real is the verdict although I don't really know what that means. I am actually looking forward to seeing in just for that.
    Haven't seen it myself either, but I would guess any grumbling about the picture quality relates mostly to the tint.

People are used to feature films since the 60s having a slightly blue-enhanced tint, especially outdoor scenes. I mean, think back to some of those ghastly red-tinted 50s films.

But I gather the Hobbit has a homely, warm brown tint, which seems at odds with that, especially if it features the kind of panoramic vistas seen in LotR

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    apparently it is not a simple question!

Linky

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    isn't 24fps the max frame rate the eyes can detect or something anyway?
    Was watching Ian McKellen on the box on Sunday morning and he said that eyes will go up to 60fps, he said he never noticed a problem with it but that it is younger people that notice the change the most. I think he said the new avatars might go up to 60fps.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Why would your eyes be limited to a certain frame rate? What's the frame rate of nature?
    It's not about that directly, it is about how much information you see. Viewing material, particularly cinemas rely on blurring to make the movements look fluid when you watch, something similar with tv (which is why when you pause a video it is always blurred I believe). The blur softens the image to a point it is believeable.

The higher the FPS, the less the blur so it will look less natural, which computer games often do and yes I believe The Hobbit struggles with. The facial movements are incredible and stuff but it is all just too pin sharp.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Why would your eyes be limited to a certain frame rate? What's the frame rate of nature?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    How ? By stretching it needlessly they will alienate most of the genuine hobbit lovers and so in turn actually end up losing money. ...
    It work for the Harry Potter drivel. Seven books, each longer than the last.

I think 3 films is pushing it, and agree that the first film is about 30 mins too long. However, I understand that they'll be putting in the whole Necromancer of Dol Guldur episode, which was never published as a complete story, but for which Tolkien made many notes. The beginning of this is already in part 1.

Whether it will pan out properly or not, I can't say. But if it does, Tolkien fans will be delighted.

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I agree but I am willing to bet that many many people will go to see all three, buy the expensive box sets and then the special edition box sets and then the special edition with a limited edition toy box sets.
    I will be getting the extended editions for sure. But none of the others.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    "In selected theaters".

I heard some people are saying it makes it seem too "unreal", whatever that means. It's interesting though: despite all the other advances, cinema has been stuck on 24fps forever.

I just about made it through the first Lord Of The Rings, I've no desire to see any others.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I'm not sure if I want to waste the money on the cinema, I know Mr N is keen to go, but the book is so short it could have been done and dusted in one film.
    Oddly enough my other half is not a fan of Dungeons & Dragon types and wasn't that impressed with LOTR because she doesn't understand the 'rules' of fantasy worlds, elves all hairy fairy, dwarves live underground and all that. The Hobbit does spend a lot of time explaining all this and the lead characters so she could actually follow it a bit more than just a slash and magic film like most are.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I must admit like I said before, I cant believe they split a small book into 3 films.

LOTR - fair enough. 3 large books anyway. Lucky they didnt think of this then otherwise that would have been a 12 film series.....

And why the hobbit next? Surely something like the silmarillion would have been cool.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X