• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Would you walk on by?"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    No I wouldnt get involved, my number one priority is my own well being.

Who I am to stand in front of life teaching people a lesson.
    You are probably right. Even the dimmest thug is unlikely to glean anything worthwhile from someone without a spine.
    Best you just skip on past and don't embarrass yourself by trying to show some moral fibre.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    DA would say that's a left-wing trait

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    By saying it's apolitical. Not being punished is neither a left or right wing thing, it's just a failing system regardless of 'wingedness'.

In extreme right wing examples, the difference is the gangs of youths have the blessing of those in charge.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What a stupid thing to say. Gangs of youths roaming the streets is one of the hall-marks of extreme right-wing leadership.
    If only. Sigh. So how do you explain their presence?

You cant touch me, I know my rights, cant punish em, keep on failing and its deferred success. None of these things are right wing.

Id support right wing youth groups.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What a stupid thing to say. Gangs of youths roaming the streets is one of the hall-marks of extreme right-wing leadership.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied

Especially since I consider this situation has been caused by people voting in lefty politicians, so people are just getting what they voted for. Who I am to stand in front of life teaching people a lesson.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I cannot really remember, it was a few years ago. I recall them shouting "put him down" when I was holding him off the floor, which made sense even at the time.

They kept shouting at me to back off when I was holding him down and various other things even after I had let go and moved away with my hands in the air, I had no desire to get pepper spray in my face!

I can clearly remember is realising that whilst trying (and succeeding) to help the police without even hurting the person that was escaping I got more aggression from the police officers than from the criminal (apparently he had assauntled his two year old son and the mother had called the police).

I am not sure if they just felt a bit embarassed that he floored the pair of them after they sprayed him or something.
    Maybe they would rather he got away than an innocent bystander (you) getting hurt.

For all you or the police knew, he could have a knife in his pocket. They probably had stab vests on and they actually signed up to put themselves in harms way.

It's a difficult question (the original post).

I don't want someone to get hurt, of course I don't, but its the classic wrong place, wrong time, and my kids wouldn't have a father any more.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Police have to use minimum force in public. In the cells its different.
    Sorry if I am being dumb, I am not sure why that is relevant?

Originally posted by jmo21
    they shouted what exactly?
    I cannot really remember, it was a few years ago. I recall them shouting "put him down" when I was holding him off the floor, which made sense even at the time.

They kept shouting at me to back off when I was holding him down and various other things even after I had let go and moved away with my hands in the air, I had no desire to get pepper spray in my face!

I can clearly remember is realising that whilst trying (and succeeding) to help the police without even hurting the person that was escaping I got more aggression from the police officers than from the criminal (apparently he had assauntled his two year old son and the mother had called the police).

I am not sure if they just felt a bit embarassed that he floored the pair of them after they sprayed him or something.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Immigrants or foreigners? I was talking with a lady from South Africa, who intervened when five teenage girls were picking on a little old lady who'd accidently knocked into one on her way to her seat on a train.

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    ... If there'd only be two I reckon I could have got away with strangling them there and burying the bodies. That would have taught them!
    Another bloody liberal.

The receptionist at one client site was at work with a black-eye. She and her daughter and taken on a couple of young girls who were smashing a middle aged woman's head in car door at a petrol station. When the police arrived she had one of the scrotes held against the bonnet by her throat...

The CCTV backed up their side of the story, plus the evidence of the victim and the staff in the garage shop. The key phrase in the statement was "I was in fear of my life". They got a commendation from the judge when it came to court, and the young girls were sent down for 18 months.

She was invited to one of our team meetings and got a standing ovation. From then on she was known very respectfully as "slugger".

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    I would intervene every time, and think the problem gets worse the further down south I go.

And I have been stabbed once, and it was intervening in a sexual assualt.
    That's two separate would-be assaults in as many days you've mentioned!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    BBC News - Anti-social behaviour: Two-thirds would 'walk on by'

Who are these 27% who would intervene? muppets. they will only end up getting arrested for abusing the little darlings human rights.
    Depends what it is. If its a bit of fisticuffs or an assault then I'm more than happy to wade in. I don't mind confrontation and to be honest in a confrontation I have no issues with grabbing someone/being hit or hitting someone.

When it's antisocial behaviour around the lower teen level Ill think about it and the situation. Sometimes I've walked on and sometimes have a word. 5 lads a few months ago where vandalising some signs for a park fete that we'd organised and I saw them as I was cycling past. The one who saw me legged it so I headed off in hot pursuit with a load OI! Lo and behold a standoff occurred with them acting cocky and indignant. I wanted to cuff a couple of them, quick as a flash one has his phone out threatening to phone the police. I told them to fooking grow up and they sloped off. If there'd only be two I reckon I could have got away with strangling them there and burying the bodies. That would have taught them!

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    I have intervened once in a situation I saw outside my house.

Came home from training with my, then, girlfriend. Got out of the car and saw some onlookers watching an argument between a guy, a girl and a middle aged woman. There were two police there and they were trying to arrest the guy.

He would not co-operate and they sprayed him. He screamed and punched them both out before running away. He was running towards us and I could see that the gas had had an affect and he could not see properly so I stepped in his way and lifted him onto my shoulder. He ranted and raved but was too disoriented to actually do anything.

The police came running over and then started shouting at me?!?!

I put him down and backed away. They tried to cuff him and he got free and charged at me. I armed locked him onto the floor and the police then came over and started shouting at me again and threatening to spray me. I let him go and the cuffed him (finally) before getting him in the car

I could not believe that after being so restrained and helpful the police, rather than thanking me, went balistic and almost sprayed me.
    they shouted what exactly?

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    yeah right, by the time they arrive you are bloody stain on the floor and they have your phone & wallet.

Or they deny everything and the police charge you with wasting police time.
    Obviously you don't tell them

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    You could always ring the police, if you can't handle i yourself.

Edit: referring to things like fights.
    yeah right, by the time they arrive you are bloody stain on the floor and they have your phone & wallet.

Or they deny everything and the police charge you with wasting police time.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I could not believe that after being so restrained and helpful the police, rather than thanking me, went balistic and almost sprayed me.
    Have you been on the week long health and safety course for dealing with scrotes?

Police have to use minimum force in public. In the cells its different.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X